Thread: 1GGTE into RA65 Questions.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default 1GGTE into RA65 Questions.

I'm seriously considering performing a 1GGTE swap into my USDM RA65.
    I understand the swap is pretty straightforward, Barring things like frozen bolts and broken parts, and I've researched everything I can find on the web about the swap itself (I'd like to stop and thank everyone on this and the old Toymods forums for the huge amount of info you guys share) but there are a few questions I can't find answers for.

1) Timing belts, Oil Filters and any other wear/tear replaceable items, are there any substitutes? Do I have to find a 1G timing belt or can I use one from a car available here? Finding things like this are really the only thing that makes me hesitate on the swap, I don't want my car to be down a month waiting on a $10 part.

2) The Instrument Cluster. I was thinking about using an instrument cluster from an MA61 as its the same cluster currently in the RA65 except the tach is calibrated for the 5M 6cyl, anyone have any idea's on this?
    I could get some aftermaket gauges but I would like to try and keep the interior looking stock.

3) Fuel pump. I've read some people have had some problems with the fuel pump not staying on. I know on the 22RTE there a single wire from the AFM to the fuel pump, what is the solution for the 1GGTE?

4) I'm trying to make a list of all the wiring that needs to go from ECU/Chassis and C
    Chassis/ECU, It would be great if anyone had already done this as it would save me alot of time.

Thanks alot for any help you can give.

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Default Re: 1GGTE into RA65 Questions.

1) if you decide that you are definatly going to do the swap. I'd go to you local Toyota Dealer and order in a timing belt (whilst you are at it front and rear main seals and cam seals) that way by the time you have the wiring sorted the parts should be in. The 1G is on of those engines that being rare over there will not have a replacement part that you can get from the local spare parts dealer.

2) MA61 dash should work as long as it is compatable wiring wise. you may find that the tacho signal from the 1G might be weak and may need a booster.

3) those problems would be in the wiring I assume. I haven't heard of this one too much.

4) I can't help too much there, but if ytou search the net for either GA70 or GZ20 wiring diagrams they should help in you quest. also there is a pinout diagram of the ECU in the tech section of the old forums here.
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ashe
    1) Timing belts, Oil Filters and any other wear/tear replaceable items, are there any substitutes? Do I have to find a 1G timing belt or can I use one from a car available here? Finding things like this are really the only thing that makes me hesitate on the swap, I don't want my car to be down a month waiting on a $10 part.
    Keep looking? I think they have been posted before...(old forums)

2) The Instrument Cluster. I was thinking about using an instrument cluster from an MA61 as its the same cluster currently in the RA65 except the tach is calibrated for the 5M 6cyl, anyone have any idea's on this?
    I could get some aftermaket gauges but I would like to try and keep the interior looking stock.
    I have no idea if the analogue MA61 dash's are a direct fit into RA65's. I know that the digital MA61 dash's we got in aus do not interchange with the analogue RA65 one easily! But analogue MA61's maybe different, in which case it is a good option! I'd try asking on celicasupra.com...

3) Fuel pump. I've read some people have had some problems with the fuel pump not staying on. I know on the 22RTE there a single wire from the AFM to the fuel pump, what is the solution for the 1GGTE?
    The 1G-GTE will use a Circuit Opening Relay that is trigger off the AFM (and crank) in the same was as the 22rte. Wire it up as factory.

4) I'm trying to make a list of all the wiring that needs to go from ECU/Chassis and C
    Chassis/ECU, It would be great if anyone had already done this as it would save me alot of time.
    Off the top of my head these are some of the wires in the Engine loom that you will need to integrate into the body loom.

-water temp
    -oil pressure
    -check engine light
    -tacho (prbly need booster)
    -ign
    -crank
    -ac
    -fuel pump trigger
    -brake

Cheers
    Wilbo

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

You will need a booster for your tacho as Wilbo said. The 1GGTE is only a single coil arrangement, but they've tweaked its output to match the 7MGTE's.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Well I know the Analog systems will switch the only external difference is the Redline on the Tach, but I'm not sure that the 5MGE has the same Tach output as the 1GGTE, I think that to be more correct in my above question I should phrase it this way.

"Does the 1GGTE output the same type of signal as the 5MGE?"

Thanks for the engine to chassis list that will help me to cut back on the switch between 5 diagrams to figure what stays and what goes.

I've found a couple posts talking about various 1GGTE parts being the same as other engines (I.E. Oil filter) but havent seen anything on the timing belt or engine seals, are they paper/ metal gaskets?

Sorry if it seems like I have alot of questions but I would like to do it right and I can't seem to find anyone in the states with any info on the 1G.
    Last edited by Ashe; 28-01-2006 at 07:48 AM.

Pretty sure it doesn't.

As JCMF and I said, a booster will be needed (there is a simple circuit around that will work, so it isn't a big deal ).

Cheers
    Wilbo

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

No it doesn't. Thats why I said you need a booster
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

I thought the tacho signal was a sine wave on older systems but a square wave with newer ones?

Anyway, I solved this issue from advice on the old forums from memory. Basically it used a transistor, a coil from a relay and the odd diode. Works a treat.

If I spot the old post i'll link it here.

I'd appreciate it if anyone posted a link on how to make the booster for the tach output.

Does anyone have a Wiring Diagram for the 1G Gauge cluster? I have the ECU wiring diagram so I can figure out how to Wire up all the Inputs from there. I do have a couple questions for the Gauge inputs...

It looks like the EGT indicator on the 1G cluster is a dummy light is this correct? If not Can I use an Aftermarket EGT gauge for the ECU EGT output?

Is the Turbo Indicator on the 1G cluster a dummy light or a true boost guage?

What side is the Oil sender located on the 1G? Intake or Exhaust side?

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I'd appreciate it if anyone posted a link on how to make the booster for the tach output.

Does anyone have a Wiring Diagram for the 1G Gauge cluster? I have the ECU wiring diagram so I can figure out how to Wire up all the Inputs from there. I do have a couple questions for the Gauge inputs...

It looks like the EGT indicator on the 1G cluster is a dummy light is this correct? If not Can I use an Aftermarket EGT gauge for the ECU EGT output?

Is the Turbo Indicator on the 1G cluster a dummy light or a true boost guage?

What side is the Oil sender located on the 1G? Intake or Exhaust side?
    Man I could use a look at your output on you ecu...pins 6p 16p, 22p? Does anybody have these?