Thread: 4AGE reduction starter clarified

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

Default 4AGE reduction starter clarified

I recently asked to identify the source of my reduction starter which C2888 quickly looked up on his EPC as 28100-15190 STARTER ASSY 4AGE..AE92 12V 0.8KW.

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1418

Once I posted pics there was scepticism as to whether it really was a reduction starter. So to clarify see below. The advantage of this starter is that is significantly lighter and much less bulky than a conventional starter. 2.855kg vs 4.335 kg. It is much easier to get in and out of the bellhousing, plus it makes a nice noise .

Click on the photo's for a larger image.

This is a direct comparison of the reduction starter (bottom) and a conventional 4age starter (top). Note the external thru bolts for the reduction starter.

This one compares the size and layout of the starter drives, again bottom is reduction.

This one shows the actual reduction gears which sit within a nylon? outer fixed gear. The three small reduction gears are fixed to the centre plate which is continuous with the starter output shaft.

Last edited by parrot; 06-10-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: update photo links & info

Default Re: 4AGE reduction starter clarified

Have had a couple of queries about this after it was referenced on another forum, so have reloaded the photo's.

Also note you can buy them remanufactured in Australia. OEX enduro part number RXS462. These are apparently available through Repco. I got mine at pickapart. I have yet to use it, but it certainly looks identical externally, just lacks the heat shield.

I also notice that the 20 valve starters look to have the same design albeit with an altered chassis section to bolt to the 20 valve. A 20 valve starter will not bolt to the 16 valve unless you swap the workings into the 16 valve chassis. By chassis, I mean the section that adapts the starter to a given bellhousing.
    Cam mountain I feel different from the ordinary

Oh What a Feeling! Backyard Mechanic c2888's Avatar

I've edited my other post to reflect my updated knowledge

I have a question tho, which side of the block does this planetary drive starter fit? Intake or exhaust?
    The spanner in my avatar is actually a 16mm, that's why it's still new

I have mine mounted on the exhaust side of a 16 valve 4AGE. i.e conventional position.

That goes for my original starter noted in the first thread and shown here in photo's, as well as the remanufactured item noted above.

The 20 valve one I believe will not fit in that position as the 'chassis' will not bolt up.

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

Will the reduction starter fit on the intake side of a GZE?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I think a 20 valve starter will as they are allreay on the intake side.
    Dave

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Yep i got one from repco as well

The noise is the best bit haha

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

I've got 3 different 4A starters here, one still on the car. I did a bit of poking around when I did the turbo conversion because the normal 4AGE starter takes up very valuable real estate on the exhaust side. Once I remove the one on the car at the moment I'll put up some pics.

From what I could tell so far there are at least three different types:
    4AFE (Some models, unsure which has which) - Conventional Type - Intake Side (I'm using this currently)
    4AGE AE92 (Gen 3) - Reduction Type - Exhaust Side (was stock on my car)
    4AGZE AE101 (Gen 3) - Reduction Type - Intake Side (to be fitted)

The 4AFE starter is visibly different to the other two. The other two are almost identical except that the flange to fit them is different so they can be fitted to their respective sides of the engine. The 4AGE SP one has a green ND tag while the 4AGZE one has a maroon ND tag.

Note this - they are not interchangable. The intake side flange has an asymmetrical bolt pattern while the exhaust side does not. Physically it would be possible but would involve drilling the bellhousing and tapping a thread where there's little to work with, and you'd want to get the angle just right so it meshes with the flywheel properly.

This is all FWD business though - I have no idea which RWD gearbox takes which starter.

Why were you skeptical as to it's type? I've never seen a conventional starter that was that small for a standard engine of that size for that era...
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

If you have a look at the other thread, there was some scepticism in that this starter didn't look like 'usual' Toyota reduction starters. Thus some thought it was a conventional starter motor. That's why I pulled it apart. These dismantled photos only appeared in this thread.

Seems simple enough now in hindsight, though the photos posted in my original thread have disappeared from the hosting site, so you can't see what they did then, which were external photos only.

This AE92 4AGE starter is a beauty, particularly the ease of removing it past the exhaust.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by 70XIN
    Yep i got one from repco as well

The noise is the best bit haha
    How much are they mate?

Is this the one you got - OEX enduro part number RXS462.

Cheers

Your mum is a Conversion King TERRA Operative's Avatar

So that means my stock AE101 4AGZE starter is a reduction starter?

Robots! dancing robots! Domestic Engineer gearb0x's Avatar

just digging up an old thread

looks like RXS462 has been superseeded by RSX429, I was just at repco trying to buy one, the 429 one looks like it may not be a reduction starter

Now im up shit creek without a reduction starter

Senior ****** Carport Converter Sam_Q's Avatar

another old thread dig up, can someone post a picture of a 28100 15190 starter? I took a chance and order one new one.