Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The AW11 Brake Upgrade Thread

Gearwhore. Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: The AW11 Brake Upgrade Thread

I will ask again, I have discussed it elsewhere but haven't seen anybody actually do it yet.
    ZZE123 rotors + 1 mm hub spacer + ST184 rotors/brackets = ????

EDIT: Or why not just ZZE123 rotors AND calipers, I know they bolt up...
    Last edited by the_random_hero; 05-02-2010 at 12:42 AM.
    The above opinion is just that - my opinion. It is not shared by any business that I am currently or have previously been involved with, nor any of their employee's.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Currently looking at a Wilwood solution for my AW11.

Wilwood 4pot Dynalites + BP10 Pads
    RDA580 Rotors - SW20 258x25 or slotted versions.

From my initial calculations, they should be pretty close to bolt on for the front. I'm planning to make a mock up of the rotors and calipers soon and do a test fit to see if they are going to work and clear 15" rims. For the rears, I'll probably go with the old SW20T rear calipers with AW11 front rotor setup.

EDIT: RDA580 rotors will need a ring spacers to fit the 54mm hub, and 4x100 pattern drilled but that's no big issue. oping to be able to get the 580's as blanks and drill them to suit.
    Last edited by knightrous; 05-02-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Xtra information!

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

BMW E30 325 front discs appear to have an offset that would match SW20 turbo rear calipers. But (fro memory) the central hole is a bit big and the stud pattern is different.

*BMW 4 stud pattern is actually 4x100
    Last edited by Duk; 12-03-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Quote Originally Posted by MR22ZZ View Post
    If I need a little more machined off, it's not hard to do at the end of the day, it's getting all the other bolt holes in the right place that is the issue.

but the dimensions are pretty much

130mm OD
    54.1mm ID
    4x100 PCD bolt spacing with 12mm lug holes

plus a small chamfer on the inner face, internal edge of the spacer.
    To make a spacer that are these specs just use your old rear rotors and machine them down to 130mm OD. They are 6mm thick (IIRC) at the hub.

FWIW, I'm using '90 Celica GT front calipers (57mm piston) with stock AW11 rotors and SW20 22v calipers in the rear with VW Corrado rotors.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

So here's me, blowing the cobwebs off this thread.

I did a search on the DBA website for a brake disc of 25mm thickness with a 4x100 bolt pattern and came up with the DBA2036 rotor. Christ only knows what car it's MEANT to go on - can't work out how to get the site to tell me that - but it's 280mm diameter x 25mm thick, whereas the ST185 is supposedly 278 x 25, so it should work pretty nicely with the ST185 caliper, and if the fact that the disc's sitting an extra millimetre closer to the caliper turns into an issue I'll machine it down.

Better than drilling holes in the disc, I figure.

When I make this happen I'll let y'all know how it turns out, if anybody's interested.

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

please do. good luck
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tedium View Post
    So here's me, blowing the cobwebs off this thread.

I did a search on the DBA website for a brake disc of 25mm thickness with a 4x100 bolt pattern and came up with the DBA2036 rotor. Christ only knows what car it's MEANT to go on - can't work out how to get the site to tell me that - but it's 280mm diameter x 25mm thick, whereas the ST185 is supposedly 278 x 25, so it should work pretty nicely with the ST185 caliper, and if the fact that the disc's sitting an extra millimetre closer to the caliper turns into an issue I'll machine it down.

Better than drilling holes in the disc, I figure.

When I make this happen I'll let y'all know how it turns out, if anybody's interested.
    Did you check the hat height?
    No point having the rotor almost the same if the caliper won't line up.
    And mixing & matching 2 piece rotors is more expensive than redrilling the stud holes.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Goddammit, good point wagonist I never even thought of that.

...so I went back to the DBA website and the rotor they list for the ST185 GT4 (DBA743) has a hat height of 46.0mm, whereas the DBA2036 I've mentioned above is 42.3mm. No idea what the stock AW11's hat height is, I suppose I could measure one when I get them off the car but if the fatter ST185 disc fits then the DBA rotor shouldn't give me too much trouble.

Ah, see, I've said that, now I've jinxed myself.

edit: I forgot to mention, the reason I don't want to start drilling up brake discs is for licensing reasons. I doubt the authorities will be able to tell if I've had to shave a bit off a rotor to get it to fit but they'll definitely be able to tell if I've drilled holes through it. Don't want to give them a reason, you know?
    Last edited by tedium; 06-09-2010 at 02:48 AM.

Junior Member Conversion King kAm's Avatar

i dout they will take a wheel off to have a look

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

AW11 hat height = 47 mm

DBA 759 (ZZE123) - 275mm, 4 stud, 50mm hat height - with by the extra 3mm thickness compared to aw11, the disk centreline is only 1.5 mm offset.

Only problem is the 55mm centre bore compared to the AW11 54.1mm. It needs a centering ring - you may need to machine the disk to a larger bore to fit one.