Page 105 of 392 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    If there is a heater hose directly from the pump to the back of the head, then it is bypassing...
    and if i drove around with my heater always on (IN QLD?!) then it might be worth mentioning... but since my heater would live "OFF" anyway, bypassing it doesn't make a difference...
    the tune has nothing to do with the excessive run on in this case... just to recap, i changed from a long manifold, to a short manifold, and i now have run on.. i didn't change the tune, i didn't re-route heater hoses, the only change to the cooling system is the deletion of the 2 hoses (1/4" approx) from the ports under the inlet manifold.

Roadkill - yes, the "run on" is acctually running in reverse sometimes, when i use the term "run on" i'm refering to the engine cranking with out ignition, regardless of which direction it's cranking... perhaps i should have been more clear?

perhaps again, i should have been clearer... i'm not looking for a cause of the "run on" (or "run back") i'm looking for a cure... timing and tune haven't been touched since it ran well. i'm looking for simple ways to increase the cooling of the head, ie re-routing lines. has anyone got suggestions for alternatives to modifying the short manifold to have water outlets? or drilling and tapping the head?
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

RAd... as I said, don't bypass, block off. With the heater off, all water goes through the radiator. With the heater on, some water runs through the heater core. If you put a hose in which bypasses both the core and the tap, then not all water flow goes through the radiator, which then reduces the cooling efficiency. And with a thermostat in the way, you would be surprised how much easier it is for the pump to just circulate the water around the head. So block off the outlets that normally go to the heater, and see what that does.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

will give it a shot, let you know the outcome...
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

Junior Member Grease Monkey BlueMeanie's Avatar

Hi, Does anyone know the dimensions of the 18R flywheel?
    I picked one up from the wreckers for my manual conversion and it has a confidence inspiring "18R?" written on it.
    Cheers, Jason.

The ring gear is the same diameter as the one on your auto flex plate, and the bolt holes all match up. If you had asked yesterday I could have measured while I had my box out.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    The ring gear is the same diameter as the one on your auto flex plate, and the bolt holes all match up. If you had asked yesterday I could have measured while I had my box out.

"Ring gear", "I could have measured while I had my box out". Lets try and keep it G rated forum

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

I don't want to be a Domestic Engineer bnicho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMeanie
    Hi, Does anyone know the dimensions of the 18R flywheel?
    I picked one up from the wreckers for my manual conversion and it has a confidence inspiring "18R?" written on it.
    Cheers, Jason.
    Hi,

I have a 16R sitting on the floor, and the flywheel is probably the same as an 18R, as it uses the same gearbox, clutch, starter etc. I can measure tomorrow if it helps?

Cheers,
    Brett Nicholson (bnicho) - Greendale, Victoria
    I own Corollas, Crowns, Prados and
    Various leaking British things...

Owen, I haven't dropped the auto yet but I will tomorrow.
    If anyone can tell just by looking at it here's a pic.

Glen, here's a photo of the filthy box I picked up in my travels SFW
    http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/d...2/100_1628.jpg

Brett, thanks for the offer but I "should" be right.

Cheers, Jason.

Looks the right shape. That gearbox is hardly what I would call dirty... you can still see parts of the alloy!!

Don't forget that 21R and 22R flywheels are identical to 18R items too.
    Cheers, Owen

So much for thinking I had all the info. Wish I'd known that before I pulled the gearbox from a 22R and then went searching for an 18R flywheel
    Cheers, Jason.

Well, you are in Tassy... we can't expect you to have that much knowledge

Don't forget that the gearbox mount is further back on the W55 than it was on the W50. If your car has 3 pairs of nuts on the body for the gearbox xmember, you are set. If it has only 2 pairs (like the RA23 and RA28) then you need to think carefully how you will be mounting the box. I should have photos before long in my RA28 thread (linked in my sig) showing how I am going to do it tonight.
    Cheers, Owen

Something I do know is the RT133 xmember will fit
    [edit] for anyone searching... it doesn't [/edit]
    but I'll probably be doing the same as you.
    Cheers, Jason.
    Last edited by BlueMeanie; 09-06-2008 at 05:32 PM. Reason: bad info

As dodgy as a Backyard Mechanic GT1978's Avatar

The 22R flywheel may have a wider surface area for the clutch. My car with the 18RG had a 20R or 22R clutch installed by the previous owner and when I pulled the clutch out I noticed the disc surface wasn't worn evenly across the face. It either had a raised outer edge or inner edge. may have been upto 10mm wide section. Can't remember off the top of my head.

Doesn't the 22R have thicker flywheel to crank shaft bolts also?

Glen
    RA28 (18RG)Members Ride
    RA40 (3TGTE)
    RA40 (18RC)
    SXA11R Rav4 Cruiser
    ACA33R Rav4 Cruiser

I have put a 22R clutch on an 18R flywheel before, no issues. When I had my 18R flywheel machined recently, it was noted there was no raised surface for the mating face.

Bolts were the same for 18R and 22R
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Grease Monkey MnToyGuy's Avatar

The 18RG and RC cranks take a 10 mm bolt for the flywheel though while the 20/22R take an 11 mm bolt, so keep that in mind.

The shop prepping my engine for turbo is opening the flywheel holes and retapping the crank for the 11 mm ARP bolts (10 mm are not available)