Page 390 of 392 FirstFirst ... 290340380388389390391392 LastLast
Results 5,836 to 5,850 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Does it look tidy, if it's a fresh rebuild, for 6500 isn't bad, yeah them "rg" pistons from what I'm told are taller from gudgeon upwards, what I'm told that I still hahah
    No stress mate, should be a good rig!

Yeah it looks pretty tidy. Yet to see it in person haha
    Hopefully it's been rebuild then, atleast I know it's in the right price range, ah well I'm not to worried about them either way haha
    Cheers hopefully it is, if not it will just give me something to work on haha

So it's a 253 head with 8.7 rg pistons, stock diff which I think was around the 3.9 but I'm not sure
    Has possible had a reground cam as well
    He will be doing the head gasket and the upper chain and tensioner before he sells it as well

well thats pretty decent if hes going to do that, try for 5500, and i guess you cant go wrong, obviously as long as he gets the head machined and make sure its not all wobbly!! ahah seen that too many times, people go the cheap way and just take a air tool to it, thats cringe worthy stuff!!!

Yeah thats what I thought
    Always the plan to get it cheaper haha
    Well he's a mechanic so I imagine it will be done right
    Yeah I know what you mean

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Someone on here asked about some files I had hosted on my old site which was taken down long ago. They appear to be scans of some old workshop manual which covers specs and tune up information for the 2T-G and 18R-G. Anyway I uploaded them to OneDrive if anyone is interested:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnXBOBq81lxgi550wOBMllh6lEP5Tw

Current status of my rebuilt 18R-G: still sitting on the pallet it was delivered on nearly a decade ago. Haven't even taken off the plastic wrap. No rush!

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

[QUOTE=Norbie;1621394]Someone on here asked about some files I had hosted on my old site which was taken down long ago. They appear to be scans of some old workshop manual which covers specs and tune up information for the 2T-G and 18R-G. Anyway I uploaded them to OneDrive if anyone is interested:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AnXBOBq81lxgi550wOBMllh6lEP5Tw

just an FYI GUYS
    i have this book and originally scanned them as info and also sent them to someone not long ago.
    let me know if you need further info.
    it covers everything from brakes, suspension and other, even trucks.

MY post from 2006 below:

Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G
    Since you guys on this forum have assisted with my ra28 rebuild, I found an old book I have with some info that may help.
    specs for 2tg & 18rg
    rebuild parts no's for 2tg 18rg
    trd engine bearing applications
    oil pump part no's
    mikuni carby part no's & jetting recommendations (stages1,2,3,4)
    trd flywheel applications, variety engins Eg 18rg
    transmission ratios std part no's & trd No's w50, t50 series
    plus theres other info not sent eg nos applications guide1600cc to 3000cc with efi
    bore x stroke hp @rpm ,specs on most engines
    ignition converions to electronic with part no's 18rg 20r 22r .t series etc.
    trd header applications & part no's most models
    trd high perf clutch apps with part no's
    trd brake pads and part no's most toyota's
    trd suspension front & rear most models Including celica 71-77 78-81 gt-st82-85 gt-s83-85
    shocks high pressure and low pressure shocks . & adjustable
    And performance suppliers mainly from the US
    If there's an interest in any of these items, drop me a line.
    and more how too's
    regards

Forum Member

Hi folks, i have an 18rgu and i did a compression test and got 115psi on all 4 cylinders. Is this good, bad or excellent? Many tnx for the replies

So I have just picked up the 18rg wagon
    I'm gonna need to do the timing chain and head gasket
    Any suggestions for a mechanic in the greater Brisbane area to get the work done, any suggestions also for if I should get any head work done or just get a port and polish ? It's currently got a mild cam with the 8.5pistons with the 250head
    Not looking at spending this is just while the heads gonna be off for the timing chain. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Kombirolla View Post
    So I have just picked up the 18rg wagon
    I'm gonna need to do the timing chain and head gasket
    Any suggestions for a mechanic in the greater Brisbane area to get the work done, any suggestions also for if I should get any head work done or just get a port and polish ? It's currently got a mild cam with the 8.5pistons with the 250head
    Not looking at spending this is just while the heads gonna be off for the timing chain. Cheers
    I'm more inclined to spend the money on a refresh.
    That is maybe new heavy duty double springs, lap the valves and new stem seals. This will help with mild cams.
    Port matching if keen.
    Oh and adjust the valves to the new cam.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by atmar View Post
    Hi folks, i have an 18rgu and i did a compression test and got 115psi on all 4 cylinders. Is this good, bad or excellent? Many tnx for the replies
    http://members.iinet.com.au/~stepho/...ce%20specs.pdf
    Page 6

Cheers Omegaman I will definitely have a look at getting some springs when I order all my other parts and then see what the machine shop can do for me
    And definitely make sure they adjust the valves to the cam

Also check out yr cams. Maybe a set of adjustable gear sprockets will suit. This will help dial in ur cams for better performance..ok. I'm done.😁

Cheers mate that's really helpful, I have a much better i idea of what I should be doing and looking for now

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Kombirolla View Post
    Cheers mate that's really helpful, I have a much better i idea of what I should be doing and looking for now
    http://www.kameariengineworks.co.jp/...8R-GEgTP-3.pdf