Page 8 of 392 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

I might have a 18rg efi thermostat housing if needed.. I've got something under the house and could never work out what it was from.. Looks very similar to your pic.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Karl,
    Are TRD high volume oil pumps still available?

I just checked and that part number does not come up in the global list anymore.
    2M, 3M and 4M engines use the same oil pump gear but they are no longer available either.

If anyone can find a TRD oil pump somewhere, count me in, I want one.

TRD valves part numbers have the RA051 suffix for intake and RA052 for exhaust.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

i've just sent a list of the more interesting TRD parts to Mr Revhead in NZ to see what he can dig up for us. Will be interesting to see if anything is available.... but i doubt it will be

Whilst on the topic of Mr Revhead, i've just ordered from him a whole bunch of timing chain tensioners and guides. Not too bad prices if you need the stuff, but still pricey. Damn old tractor engines!

Here is the list of parts, and curent prices i was quoted (NZ$)
    13559-88270 - $154 - no.2 chain guide, in. side
    13563-88250 - $124 - no.2 chain guide, ex. side
    13540-33014 - $40 - No.1 chain tensioner
    13561-34010 - $42 - No.1 chain guide
    13652-88280 - $49 - no.2 Top chain guide (between cams)
    13550-88270 - $175 - No.2 Chain tentioner
    Total = NZ$584.00
    NOTE: please dont take these prices as reference. They are what i was personally quoted and i dont know if thats what he would normally do.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Mr DOHC,
    thats a nice story, hows it going for you?
    great

no replacing valves after 20,000k for me
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

you shouldnt have to replace valves after 20,000k's unless there is something seriously wrong with the way the engine is tuned / set up i would have thought!!

stay tuned kids... i have soo much info to add to this thread, just need to collate it all and write it up....
    ...... butt scratcher?!

yeh i know
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Gentle giant Backyard Mechanic h3ff44's Avatar

well i know absolutly nothing about these engines but i do know that my old man had one in is old round head ligt corona... and would pill 0-100 in just under 7 secs.
    he said he had pace makers that he had modified on the first cyclinder as it wasnt that great.. he worked out the tuned length of what it should be.

he also had a good well tuned set of webers... ive tried to get info outa him but he gets all grumpy about it when i ask..
    i was hoping he may have a book somewhere with calculations of the tuned length exhaust etc... but havent come across it yet.

kinda pointless post but i thought i would share it.

what kinda times hae other people managed to pull with these motors?

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Karl, does Mr Revhead sell these 18rg items regularly?

I don't see any timing chain tensioners (that one bolt swinging thing) on that list Karl, is he not able to source them?

I've heard that a guy in Adelaide is getting some custom 18RG guides made up, full set, 100 items of each guide.
    I will keep an ear to the group and a wallet full of cash and I'll see how I go. I only need the timing chain tensioner slipper, or, slipper C as it is sometimes called. I want two brand new ones.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Oh, hang on, does Mr Revhead refer to the timing chain tensioner slipper as the no.2 chain damper intake side? The part number matches and the 18RGEUs did use a slightly different design so the generation number is right too.

If this is correct and your getting some Karl, put my name down for two of those suckers.

Jeffro, did you read this post? If we can get them through this guy we won't have to go to the US for them and it will cost less.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Guys, i'll have a chat to Mr Revhead today.... i've already got myself and Norbie down for some timing chain parts, but it's not really worth group buying with the new under $1000 customs duty exemption.

Im pretty sure you can each individually sort it out with him directly, will let you know during the day.

Steve
    i picked out these p/n's myself from an online EPC that is no longer available... damn russians! i picked an RA63 carina from memory with 18rgeu.

..... and just cos i love you so much steve, i drew you a picture explaining my terminologies....

...... butt scratcher?!

ah, the old WSoD

The boobs are back

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

I have an adobe file of all toyota t and r series engine part numbers and also all 1st gen celica part numbers.

Send $5 and i can make you a CD copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Steve
    i picked out these p/n's myself from an online EPC that is no longer available... damn russians! i picked an RA63 carina from memory with 18rgeu.

..... and just cos i love you so much steve, i drew you a picture explaining my terminologies....
    Feeling the love, cheers Karl for the picture, but the descriptions don't match those with the part numbers. This is stretching my tiny little brain.

basically,
    13559-88270 - $154 - no.2 chain guide, in. side
    = HINGED GUIDE, yes?
    Last edited by Steve M; 02-02-2006 at 12:00 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I also have the hard back version of the ta22 toyota genuine parts catalgoue, factory repair manuals (chassis/engine/body). xe1x and xe2x factory parts cataglogue. RT40 body/chassis/engine/transmisson. xe7x collision repair guide (basicaly body/,mechanical part numbers only and critical dimensions. plus a few other odds and ends.