Page 7 of 392 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Speaking of fuel pumps, I need to upgrade my fuel system for the forthcoming uber-RG. My current setup is a VL high-pressure pump feeding directly from the tank and into the stock fuel line, which worked OK in the past but it doesn't offer protection against surge and probably won't flow enough for the new engine when I crank up the boost.

Anyway, I have a friend who works with stainless steel every day and he's offered to make me a stainless surge tank. My idea is to try mounting an internal Walbro fuel pump inside the surge tank, with the pump hanging off a bracket from the top of the tank, much the same as pumps are mounted in OEM fuel tanks. Then all I have to do is replace the VL pump with a low-pressure lift pump and I'll have a nice neat high-capacity surge-resistant fuel system.

Anyway, if my internal-pump surge tank idea works out OK I might get a few of them fabricated. Would anyone else be interested in such a device? *looks at Karl*

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

i'd be interested - IF i had a boot tank and not an under-floor drop tank!

I have an RA28 you idiot!!

I'm actually working on some ideas and designs for internally mounting and baffling my spare RA28 floor tank... Either that or just go all out and make a custom drop tank!

<duffman>

OH YEAH!

</duffman>

Currently my fuel system incorporates a nice external lift pump, VL bosch pump, and surge tank (not povo-spec like my AE71)..... see the pics below for the new system:

...... butt scratcher?!

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Yeah i'd love to get rid of the tank/pump from the boot area in the 28.. Damn lack of space for surge tanks.
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

joel - i think some measuring, designing and test-fitting of some custom drop tanks is the go mate
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Forum Member Grease Monkey scootaphill's Avatar

Q. 1 Does the swirl pot need to be that big?
    Q. 2 Is there a formula for working it out?
    Q. 3 If it doesnt couldnt you make a trick smaller one to fit in engine bay?

this would help solve the "room in the boot" issue and you'd have less high pressure fuel line to worry about.
    ON HOLD Current Project 1UZ-FE Powered Buggy
    Last Project 18R-GEU time to tinker

EDITED ITS ALL VERY LAMO

phil,

that is just a plain old surge tank buddy, and there is mainly just speculation and heresay on what volume it should be - yes you could have a smaller one, but i would rather just have a good intank pump
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

volume you can make some educated guesses about based on injector duty cycle, fuel pump flow rate, if the return goes back to the tank or not, and what your estimate longest right /left hander your ever going to go around etc etc..or 1.4 mile or whatever your into.

WOW!!! I just scored from ebay a freaken awesome TRD and performance book for Toyotas.... including HEAPS of TRD part numbers and bits for 18RG engines

I'll be posting numbers soon
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Bloody brilliant Karl, I'm in the middle a rebuild so they might come in handy

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

ebay aus karl????
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

darn tootin'

also have found a supplier for 18RG valves, i'll be contacting them soon to find out the exact brand, material, sizes available etc....
    i bought from them a set of 38.5mm exhaust valves for $70

anyone interested?
    ...... butt scratcher?!

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

i'll stick with my stainless steel's thanks
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norbie
    Speaking of fuel pumps, I need to upgrade my fuel system for the forthcoming uber-RG. My current setup is a VL high-pressure pump feeding directly from the tank and into the stock fuel line, which worked OK in the past but it doesn't offer protection against surge and probably won't flow enough for the new engine when I crank up the boost.

Anyway, I have a friend who works with stainless steel every day and he's offered to make me a stainless surge tank. My idea is to try mounting an internal Walbro fuel pump inside the surge tank, with the pump hanging off a bracket from the top of the tank, much the same as pumps are mounted in OEM fuel tanks. Then all I have to do is replace the VL pump with a low-pressure lift pump and I'll have a nice neat high-capacity surge-resistant fuel system.

Anyway, if my internal-pump surge tank idea works out OK I might get a few of them fabricated. Would anyone else be interested in such a device? *looks at Karl*
    Hey, norbie. I may well be interested. Heck, if you didn't get extras fabricated, I'd just be going through the whole prototype phase myself in about a year when I switch over to megasquirt + quads.

Karl, did you track down an EFI thermo housing? Yours is significantly more shiny than the one I'm gonna send you!

As far as valves are concerned, I recently sourced some cheap exhaust valves. They are Shin Ichi, 38.5mm, PN AK5520. They were supposed to cost $24 each, but they ended up being significantly cheaper (a bit of a stuff up from the machinist!). Oh, and Witzl, I saw those valves on e-bay. I was gonna bid on them when I realised one of my valves was cracked, but I saw a the name of a bidder I thought was conspicuously toymodsy.Besides, I got my four valves for a bit less than $40! I've seen 18RG valves come up on e-bay at least half a dozen times, so there is probably someone bringing them in from Japan.

My only problem with my new valves was that the lash was a PITA to get right. The seats were cut before they were installed, so one would envisage that the shims would need to be ground... Instead the clearances grew to 0.6 - 1.0mm. I don't think they were made with particularly tight manufacturing tolerances.
    Last edited by tricky; 30-01-2006 at 10:23 PM.

tricky,
    mate i still want that efi thermostat housing please. The shiny one there is cracked around the water temp gauge sensor and may very well leak when used for the first time

Those valves i got are indeed the ebay ones, which are actually from Fours n More in SA. Not sure on brand though...

Mr DOHC,
    thats a nice story, hows it going for you?

Now.... TRD Part No. Teasers!!

TRD High volume oil pump, 18R-G -> 15100-RA051
    TRD rod bolts, 18R-G -> 13265-RA051

will post more soon
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

woohoo cool! So when we going to see the pdf scanned version?