Page 5 of 392 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Mr RA23 raises a very valid point!
    I'll do some investigations into the depth the oil SHOULD be in an 18RC and compare it to what it should be for an 18R-G... and what the 33012 dipstick reads when used in an 18R-G.

As for Mr RA 28 here....
    well buddy i certainly hope to see it out at dubbo!
    I dont think i'll be finishing my 18R-GTE for Dubbo this year, but i'll have a shot I'll definitely be on for next year though!
    I'll also be interested to see how your cams perferm with the combination you are using.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

I am not yet a Grease Monkey RA23's Avatar

Sorry Witzl, I spoke to soon. Even though there is an issue with the part numbers of the dipstick, the actual depth appears to be the same. I overfilled it with oil because I got the conversion between quarts and litres wrong :-(
    Anyway, I drained it and filled it again with the proper amount and it is spot on with the 18RC stick.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Oh well... that saves me a whole heap of effort then!!

I've got a few more useful parts to photograph and post up, along with some more information that's of good use.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M
    You wouldn't have a suitable timing inspection cover because you bought an 18RGEU cover for an 18RG.

Did you get the gasket that attaches block breather to the block? Man those things are a bitch to remove!
    Block breather? Where be the block breather? Does anyone have a pic?

No, my inspection cover is definitely an 88210 item on an 88210 head. There just isn't any king of inspection cover gasket in the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky
    Block breather? Where be the block breather? Does anyone have a pic?
    That is the plate with the bit of pipe sticking out just above the oil filter. BTW the gasket is toyota part no 11273-33010

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

also, a VRS set is nothing below the head, the definition of VRS is Valve Regrind Set, so theres a VRS, which has HG, VSS, manifold gaskets ect ect

and a Full gasket set, which has the same but also has sump/timing cover ect ect
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Quote Originally Posted by RA23
    That is the plate with the bit of pipe sticking out just above the oil filter. BTW the gasket is toyota part no 11273-33010
    The plate covering the aux shaft? Mine doesn't have a breather from here, just a plate...

Mr DOHC, I should add that the list I made of gaskets not included applies to the full gasket set, part no. GK690, as opposed to the VRS, DK690.

Steve, my block breather gasket (If we are indeed speaking of the same thing) was a piece of piss to get off. The old gasket was cork, so no probs there.

EDIT: Sorry about the shite pic, but are we talking about the same thing?

Last edited by tricky; 20-01-2006 at 11:20 PM.

that should have a little pipe coming of it going to the inlet manifold

i have a few spare
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Quote Originally Posted by tricky
    The plate covering the aux shaft? Mine doesn't have a breather from here, just a plate...
    RC has no breather
    RG does

Quote Originally Posted by Mr DOHC
    that should have a little pipe coming of it going to the inlet manifold

i have a few spare
    Do you wanna PM me with a price?

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Strictly speaking, that part is not really needed. As long as you've got the tappet cover breather flowing well, you shouldn't have any troubles with the engine.

I removed one before so that it would look like all the emmossion points were still linked up and active for registration purposes.
    One thing I would suggest for all 18RG owners is a catch can, especially when using ramflo filters with the tappet cover breather plumbed into the back of the filters.
    We had a few issues with oil vapour soaking the air filters.
    With a catch can with a great deal of stainless steel scourer in there to catch the vapour, we haven't had half the problem we had before.

I will add this though, make sure that the PCV system does vent correctly because if it doesn't, you lose your dipstick as it flies out of its hole and sprays oil all over your engine bay.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

yes, and all over your very hot extractors

The boobs are back

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hi i have 2 18rg heads cams one inlet manifold and one exhaust manifold i am goin to put them onto my 18r block which has only done 92000km since new lol i was wondering if n e one use fellors had the other stuf i would need to bolt it onto the block eg timing cover. and wat should i do bout my dizzy? im a beginer
    thanks heeps leroy

u need an aux shaft, timing cover, block breather {not needed really}, dipstick onthe other side, u should really get an oil sender put in to the mount on the side of the motor

The boobs are back

chains and guides too

The boobs are back