Page 54 of 392 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Junior Member Grease Monkey Gunna's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Thanks guys yeah ebay and here is pretty much where i get everything.

I dont know the guy asked me and i said id never heard of there being a plate there. He said some engines have a splash plate to stop oil splashing up or something like that, it had like two longer bolts comming down from where the crank bolts up and thats where he thought it bolted to...

Cheers, Craig...

Wont let me rep either of you again yet but will asap. Thanks...

Junior Member Domestic Engineer crowncustom's Avatar

If he pulled the motor down he should have seen or remembered it.
    But no there is no such plate on a RG not even one in an 18R.(Theres none in my RG)
    The only plates there are is those stupid bits of steel they call a baffle plate spot
    welded in the sump.
    Cheers Brett.

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

Gunna - Sounds like he was expecting to find a oil scraper plate, or windage tray in there... but they're not standard (on 18R(G)'s atleast... )
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

I brought the engine already pulled down so i dont know if the person before me had one in it at one stage but i thought id better ask ancase i needed it. Thanks guys...

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Your engine builder was probably surprised by the lack of baffling in the sump, a known weakness of the 18R-G.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Hi Guys,

I'm in the midst of finally putting back together one of 18rg's and i've found that i don't have the 18rg oil pump (as i'm sure most of you know by now through my pm's) but just a few of the 18rc oil pumps. I've been told that i can use parts from the 2m (still sourcing that too!) but i can't find details on the amount of oil that the 18rg pumped, i've also heard of ppl just using the 18rc pumps instead. Anyone got any more info that i can't find or any suggestions????????

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

I can tell you that the rotor assembly for an 18R-G pump is 30mm tall and uses a 5mm spacer in the standard 18R/R-C pump housing.
    I thought a 4M had the same pump, would that be right.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

I'm still trying to find a 4m - just waiting on some pics. The m and 2m is the same width etc i just don't know about the hight. The rc is 25mm and you've just confirmed that the rg is 30mm.

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice RA40peter's Avatar

Hey Ben,
    Had a quick look on the weekend but couldn't find my box of oil pump bits,
    Will have to delve deeper into the boxes of crap, will let you know if I find anything

Peter

hey guys... been trying to do some research on the 2.2L 18RG conversion since i have both an 18RG which i'm starting a re-build on, and a 22R which was mid-build... i believe i'll need the 22R crank, but what about:

rods?
    Pistons?
    extra machining? re-bore, machining to allow extra swing in rods?

anything else?

yes i searched, only found vaigue details though... very limited.

Im pretty sure you dont need the 22R crank for the 2.2 just bigger pistons, the crank is only used when going all the way to 2.4.

Cheers, Craig...

don't wanna go stepping on anyones toes and break forum rules, but for anyone interested in new timing chain guides and slippers, i'm trying to get interest in gettin them re-coated.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23801

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia SillyCarS's Avatar

yeah just bigger pistons for the 2.2L

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Anyone know what pistons would suit... I dont think 100thou over (2.5mm) are available through ACL etc... I am thinking of getting out my turd polish and sprucing up an 18R-C with as big a pistons as possible, as much decked off the head as possible, lumpier bump stick, port job, OS valves and a half decent carby... (yeah, I know that Im nutty, but hey, cant all be sane can we??)

Either that or I will hold off, and just get an RG (if ever I can find one in good condition at a sane price)

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Owen, i know where your coming from. Sometimes it feels very tempting to polish a turd... just cos you can. I've often wanted to do a budget build on an 18R to pass some time

If you need pistons, 22R items (which are 92mm) alledgedly fit straight into a bored out 18R/RG block using R/RG rods to give you 2.2L. I think the piston height *may* be lower on the 22R pistons though, so stock 22R pistons will give you a low comp 22R. You will need hi-comp 22R pistons to get the most out of it. I can't remember whether the 22R rods are longer... maybe if you use them it will help comp?

If you want to stroke the RG out to 2.4L, thats when you need to get the 22R crank and have it offset ground etc to fit in. It's debateable as to whether this mod is REALLY worth it, but a fun excersise, no doubt

I bought a set of dished 22R pistons ages ago when I was going to build a low comp turbo RG. I'm going to sell them though, as they will probably drop the compression into the 7's, which is really not necessary and would need much more boost than i'd like to run with cast slugs. Just my advice in case anyone thinks breifly about dished items.
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )