Page 382 of 392 FirstFirst ... 282332372380381382383384 ... LastLast
Results 5,716 to 5,730 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Fustrated DYI mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Omegaman's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Has anyone got a easy solution for adding hall effect wheel to the GEU crank?
    There is the MSD aluminium wheels on ebay that im concidering bolting to the front of the balancer. (see link)
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MSD-Repla...item1c529337ec

The Harmonic balencer is about 14cm (5") in diametre. If i bolt a upto 18cm (7") wheel on the front, then i can place the sensor to read behind it, as opposed to
    the top edge...?????

i can easliy adapt the sensor, but the wheel is another story. I've seen toothed trigger wheels machined and added, but i want an easy fit for the use of
    hall effect magnets.

Any solutions?

I've finished wiring my Haltech up, with just this the fix and then i'm able to start it.
    Last edited by Omegaman; 18-05-2015 at 11:40 AM.

i think i've answered my own question.
    Whats to say i cant use a 8-10 mm thick aluminium wheel spacer. Have it cut to fit around the harmonic balancer or screwed or glued to the back/front of it.
    even if you can machine a round lip on the back of the balancer and fit this on.
    drill the 2 holes 180 deg from each other and glue the special magnets in place.
    its like $20 for 2 spacers...beats buying and modifying a MSD wheel..
    im going to try this on the weekend.
    doable????

Since theres no ideas on Hall effect wheels, i'd thought i'd attempt my idea above.
    The only other thing i had to do was grind down the pointer on the chain giude cover.
    Pics tell it all.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Last edited by jabbatron; 27-08-2015 at 01:18 AM.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by jabbatron View Post
    Just keep in mind that ring behind the first V groove is the rubber mounted harmonic balancer, the V's themselves are solid mounted tho.
    +1 also when the rubber fails, and they do, your timing will be out of range.

I have had to have those Pulleys repaired from a guy here stateside when I owned a Datsun Fairlady and its pulley failed (Worn rubber spun the outside belt pulley and eventually fell off while driving, not cool.) That Center hub is a solid mount, so attaching it their will keep you honest within your modification.

Yep, I understand the what yr saying. But this is a temporary solution. But the best I can think of at this stage of the build.
    I've seen toothed wheels placed here after some modifying/machining, which they seem be travelling fine to date.
    Till a better solution comes up, this will get me to the tuning stage, where the roar will come to life and my enthusiasm will be at a stage of all out go for it.
    Its been too long.
    thanks guys.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Most people have attached the toothed wheel to the front of the harmonic balancer i believe.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    Most people have attached the toothed wheel to the front of the harmonic balancer i believe.
    yes, i've seen both, front and back.
    Well. My setup of the Hall effect works, as in when you turn the motor by hand, the readings for 1st magnet read 3.3 volts till it passes the 2nd magnet, then zero volts for 180 deg.
    So i'm happy with that. Need a new fuel pump now...errr. then i can attempt start up.

gents. Is there an dual Igniter that can be compatible with Haltech e6k, that can also be used to send a tacho signal to the original ra28 tacho?
    Im trying for a batch fire wasted spark, using two coils, but my current EMS igniter does not seem to be compatible with haltech.
    what did you guys use back in the day?

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

You should be able to use something like a Microleb X4 ignitor.

As for tacho output.... yeah that's a pain, you should get your ECU to provide that signal, and then use a tacho booster to drive the stock tacho.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

im going back to dizzy, cause the ignition set up is driving me nuts.
    I was going to give this ago for tacho, but since I can get RPM signal from -ve COIL, I wont bother with relay.

just before i go back to dizzy.
    hall effect cas. at 70deg BTDC and home signal at 40deg btdc...sounds about right? in short.

made two types of tacho boosters last night.
    will give them a try on weekend.
    im assuming that the resisters need to be soldered in the correct direction, would i be right?
    i looked at the colours and think i put them in the right direction.

Last edited by Omegaman; 10-09-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Resistors aren't polarised man.

The diode is though, the stripe on the diode souls be in the same orientation as the line on the schematic symbol.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Quote Originally Posted by RA35GT View Post
    Resistors aren't polarised man.

The diode is though, the stripe on the diode souls be in the same orientation as the line on the schematic symbol.
    But doesn't the resistors at least have a current flow from + to negative. hence why i asked which side is which, by sight.
    the resister i used above had 5 colours, so i couldnt tell which side was which.
    i will make another booster tonight, this time taking a good look and checking with multimeter that all is well as i go.

cheers

the diode i do understand now. i'm started reading Witzl's link- http://www.autoshop101.com/ and learning heaps.