Page 17 of 392 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

1 + 1 is 2 [/end barney the annoying dinosaur voice]
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Just reading back through this thread about the Upper Timing chain tensioners being similar to 4M, 3TGTE etc... Can anyone confirm this?

My new upper tensioner snapped in two today, and I would really like to get one ASAP so I can get this engine running, everything else is ready to go!

If anyone near Brisbane wants to sell me a spare this weekend, please let me know!

RA23 + 3SGE Beams Backyard Mechanic Major Clod's Avatar

Well, after calling a zillion wreckers today, half of them were closed, the other half said they hadn't seen a 4 or 5M powered car in their yard for the last ten years... pffft whatever, lazy pricks dont' want to help.

Anyway, out getting new gearbox seals and a spigot bearing for the RG, when I thought stuff it I'll go to my local wreckers anyway. I asked the guy again in person, he said nope don't have anything. Thought stuff it so I walked down the yard, fourth car down the toyota isle was an MS123 Crown with a complete 5ME. Took out the Upper Tensioner and its exactly the same as the one that was in my 18RG... Guess these guys just don't think it is worth a walk to check out their cars for a $15 part.

So yes anyway, just like to say that an M series upper timing chain tensioner does fit an 18RG if anyone needs a replacement.

Not a patch on a Backyard Mechanic

You answered your own question before I got back to this thread mate, yes, 4/5M upper tensioners do fit the 18RG.
    Cheers,
    Mitch.
    RA23
    1G-GZE

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

I just found something that I haven't read in here yet.

The valve reliefs in 18RG pistons vary in vertical depth depending on what era they came from.

88270 8.3:1 pistons have the deepest part of the inlet valve relief 1mm below the deck and the deepest part of the exhaust valve relief .5mm ABOVE the deck level.

88233 9.7:1 pistons and also 88252 0.5mm OS 9.7:1 pistons have the deepest part of the inlet valve relief close to 3mm below the deck and the deepest part of the exhsut valve relief 0.5m BELOW the deck level.

So it's not just the compression that makes later model 18RG/U/EU less suitable for big cams, it's also their valve reliefs.

On another note, for those who I have previously sent out our home-made 18RG original camshaft profiles to, the next installment is nearly ready, I just have to fix up the email friendly version and I will send them out.
    It will still be an Excel spreadsheet.
    So far on my "send to" list I have
    ScootaPhil, Mr DOHC, The Witzl, Jeffro RA28.

If anyone else wants to know what their 18RG camshafts are doing, and when they are doing it, PM me your email address and I'll send them through to you.

The cam data that will be included are:
    88210 set
    88231 set
    88250 set
    88251 set
    88270 set
    Our mystery set of 30/70 regrinds
    Wade 137 grind (298 degree advertised)
    Wade 133-5 grind (310 degree advertised)

Please note that this is not professionally done and they are only useful as a guide.
    Also please note that profiling the last three sets of cams took somewhere around 12 hours, but hey, now we know that we can run 298 degree cams on stock early model pistons with a little tweaking. We also now know that what a cam is advertised as is not always what it actually is and often aftermarket grinds are not centred on the original timing marks.

Does anyone know of any other 18RG cams that are out there?
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Quote Originally Posted by Major Clod
    ... I'll go to my local wreckers anyway. I asked the guy again in person, he said nope don't have anything. Thought stuff it so I walked down the yard, fourth car down the toyota isle was an MS123 Crown with a complete 5ME.
    sorry for the post hijack

.. which wreckers was this? did the Crown still have the rear swing arms?

Junior Member Domestic Engineer tricky's Avatar

Steve, I'll PM u my e-mail addy for that data!

Other 18RG cams? I'm running Wade 773A regrinds. 288adv, 246 at 50thou, 405thou lift, 110 deg phase angle. They're pretty mild, but they give a poke! They pushed out 83rwkw with 45DCOEs and 9.7:1 pistons and stuffed rings. Should be a bit more pokey with quads!
    Nikita the RA23 is almost finished .

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

For those that I sent out the cam info to, just note that all the timing data is as the cam was ground. We zeroed the cams to the stock TDC timing slot in the 12:00 position.
    The graphs supplied were based on this information, so the Wade cams and the mystery 30/70 grind cams would actually need to be set up differently to what the graph says.
    The graphs can be modified and the correct timing info is supplied in the spreadsheet.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks for that data! That's gold

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M

On another note, for those who I have previously sent out our home-made 18RG original camshaft profiles to, the next installment is nearly ready, I just have to fix up the email friendly version and I will send them out.
    It will still be an Excel spreadsheet.
    So far on my "send to" list I have
    ScootaPhil, Mr DOHC, The Witzl, Jeffro RA28.

If anyone else wants to know what their 18RG camshafts are doing, and when they are doing it, PM me your email address and I'll send them through to you.
    s.
    Hook a brudda' up?

Will need all the info i can get to beat the pethetic 2.0ltr n/a record for toymods...

[email protected]

Thanks, Si.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

you'll have to beat me too - i'm heading out to WSID this week to reclaim my 1800-2800cc N/A record.....

and judging by my 10.5sec 1/8 miles at Toynats, I should be able to run a low enough 16 second pass. Oh, and WSID actually has GRIP too, and I also have sticky rubber
    ...... butt scratcher?!

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

i shall be making the trek soon b4 i get rid of the corona, so i may also get close
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hey just found this:
    http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=2115326982
    mmm EFi if only he would sell me the EFi set up check it out sumone buy it!
    thanks leroy

Quote Originally Posted by rn41leroy
    hey just found this:
    http://allclassifieds.com.au/c/ac?a=vc&i=2115326982
    mmm EFi if only he would sell me the EFi set up check it out sumone buy it!
    thanks leroy
    OMG!! In ACT too!! It's got an eng cert, a haltech, an RG, wheels and it's only $1300!! I NEED to convince my dad or little brother to buy this for shits and giggles!! Even if the body is trashed, for that money, it could be worth it!!!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

ohhhh i thought u might like it lol buy it i will buy the engine off u lol cya leroy