Page 15 of 392 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Sucks to be a Domestic Engineer YelloRolla's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

If you know which head you have (wither the 70cc or the 72cc) and you know the Comp Ratio of the engine, go to this site
    http://users.erols.com/srweiss/calccr.htm
    and type in the fields that you know it will then tell you what the dome = in cc

Don't miss the bit at the beginning where you place a 2 in to convert to metric.
    YelloRolla's KE20 1/4mi = 11.32 @ 119mph @ 22psi on slicks
    12.44 @ 113 mph on 165 wide street tyres
    210rwkw - not bad for a smelly 3TGTE running pump fuel.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scootaphill
    ... you guys didnt happen to cc the blocks as well
    Nope, there wasn't much point as there was no deck clearance.
    I use the calculators from this guy, I've mod'd them a little, but find them most useful.
    I changed the dish volume to dome volume and swapped the +/- symbols.

http://www.superjamie.net/garage/

Plus, down the bottom is a link to great picture of a KE35 4WD.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Well just a little more info to push this thread back into life

Toyota Genuine Head Gasket, 18R-G, (p/n not known yet), $59.00 retail, available in Australian warehouses.

Ingram Alternator P/N RXA-430 is a close fit high output replacement for 18R's
    ... it's 80A, from a landcruiser with 3F engine, internally regulated. YOu just have to change the pulley to a "1A" style and use washers to fill the extra space in the pivot feet spacing.
    ---- i'll be down at pick'n'payless this weekend to do some testing
    ...... butt scratcher?!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Just for reference sake... here's my clutch fan setup in my car, as it is right now

...... butt scratcher?!

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

You gonna put a fan shroud around it?

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

RIP Scott Kalitta Automotive Encyclopaedia Mr DOHC's Avatar

hello ppl, i'm back

i went to cliffs house the other day and drooled for a ges at his '28, it uses the GENUINE 18RG crank, 16R rods, 22r coaster pistons which have been flycut.
    The crank has been fully welded and offset ground to give 3.5mm extra stroke, it is back to original journal size too, so it can be ground down if necessary too.
    JZX83+ FMIC+ Twin 2.5" dumps to 3"+ FCD+ 2800rpm stallie+ 14psi - LSD - good tyres = 12.85 @105.58

The boobs are back

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hi all,
    i think i may have asked this question before: i have some 18rg stuff, sum of the following i need to no if anyone can help me out of sourcing the parts to complete the engine:
    -head no. 1- 88250
    -head no. 2- 88210
    -inlet 88230
    -exhaust 88251
    -cams no.1 88258
    -cams no.2 have sprocket 88210
    can anyone help me out on the best build and does anyone have the parts to build a complete engine
    thanks to any help received leroy

Forum Member Grease Monkey scootaphill's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    WOW!!! I just scored from ebay a freaken awesome TRD and performance book for Toyotas.... including HEAPS of TRD part numbers and bits for 18RG engines

I'll be posting numbers soon
    come on karl where are they if i had any rep power i would neg rep you just for teasing us all LOL

cheers
    ON HOLD Current Project 1UZ-FE Powered Buggy
    Last Project 18R-GEU time to tinker

EDITED ITS ALL VERY LAMO

Hi,

Here's some nice diagrams of the wonderful and dependable 18R-G. I made the images big so you can see them better. This is the 1st of 2 posts, due to the 10-image per-post limit.

Overview

Cylinder Head

Cylinder Block

Gaskets

Cylinder Head & Cover

Clylinder Block & Oil Pan

Timing Cover & Rear-end Plate

A few more images in the next post.....

seeyuzz
    river

Hi,

I'm baaaaaaaack. As stated, here's the 2nd post of 2 with a few more diagrams of the venerable 18RG.....

Mounting

Crankshaft & Pistons

Camshaft & Valves

Timing Chain & Damper

I got more stuff for the 18RG, including inlet, exhaust, carbies, cooling system, starter and alternator. So, if there's anything you want put up please let me know.

I may have some stuff on the 18RGU/18RGUE engines, but I'll get back to you on that tomorrow sometime when I get a chance to check my stuff.

Oh, got all the same stuff for the T, 2T, 2TB, 2TG, 18R and 18RE engines - but as this is ostensibly and 18RG thread I kept them out.

seeyuzz
    riuver

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

I love your work River. Im glad there is someone that could be bothered to spend the time to enlarge and edit these so that they are forum freindly.

Those photo's are always good to look at, but in true toyota fashion the forget some of the details.

For parts identification:
    - That's an 18R-C water pump, the little side tube is too small for an 18RG one.
    - I'm not too sure about those conrods, they look like the 18R-C ones drawn in the green book. I've never seen a set of 18RG rods looking like that.

River, would you happen to have an exploded diagram of the top tensioner? With part numbers?
    I'm rebuilding mine with a some changes and part numbers would be great to know.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hi,

I have more detailed diagrams of the water pump and they 18RC and 18RG water pumps are the same. The only difference I can see is the off-shoot pipe on the 18RG bends backwards a bit, while the 18R engine shoots off straight.

The 18RG water pump has twin pulleys whereas the 18R has one pulley. The actual pump, pump housing, fan assembly are the same between the two engines.

Remember, I'm talking about the early build 18R-G, 18R-GR and 18R engine here. So, maybe there was a difference with the 18R-C, 18R-GU and 18R-GUE engines. I'll need to check my RA23/28 info to get that information and see if these variants have a different pump assembly.

The 18R pistons are a different shape on the top as opposed to the 18RG pistons. Don't forget, these pics are from an EPC and are presentative as opposed to being superbly detailed engineering blueprints.

I can get the part numbers, but I have no further exploded diagrams on the engines for the chain tensioner.

seeyuzz
    river

it's the little offshute pipe for the thermostat bypass that I think is different to the water pumps I have. Mine have a larger diameter one than is shown.

Also a quick question for anyone who has an early model block, what is that two-bolt + big hole flange on the exhaust side for. The one right near the coolant drain boss.
    I don't reckon any of our blocks have that.
    That block also uses a different bottom timing chain guide to the later model ones that I've seen. One of those early model guides came in a timing kit for my brother's old 18R-C but wouldn't fit anywhere as the block was too new.
    That top chain damper is also a different design from the later ones. They are interchangeable but they have a different shape adjustment cap on the end.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

i was looking at those pics when it occurred to me.
    has anyone tried modifying the bottom dampener that connects to the block (the flat one) to fit on the upper timing chain dampner between the 2 cam gears (in the head).
    the bottom dampeners are readily available and cheap from parts suppliers like sprint autoparts.
    that would just leave a way to find a replacement dampener for the curved one that goes from the head to the block and for the tensioner dampener