Page 155 of 392 FirstFirst ... 55105145153154155156157165205255 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Awesome ****** Domestic Engineer Javal's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Javal,

I chose to use the silver top throttles because they are cylindrical where they mate onto the manifold. The black top ones are not, there would be more work involved with port matching them.

I also didn't see the point in going so large with the throttles as the ports and valves are definitely a larger restriction. The standard port size is 36mm. 43mm throttles with no venturis (44mm/45mm carbs had venturis/'chokes' reducing their diameter) should be enough.

Short of putting on the black top throttles for the sake of being able to state the throttle size and to make it more attractive to the Police, I didn't see the benefit outweighing the price difference and extra stuffing around with the manifold.

If I was going to start again, I think I would use something like the extrudabody throttles or something Weber pattern based, like the Jenvey throttles.
    Yes well the blacktop throttles are going to be used as they came up at a convenient time and rather good price., that's pretty much the only reason.

An adapter manifold will be made up and the head is going to be cleaned up with the ports enlarged a few mm (not much) as it was always going to be but this time there's more than one benefit to it. Obviously they'll still be overkill though.

We'll see how we go. I'm going for a very 'it could have come from the factory like this' look under the bonnet.

Edit:

Dammit Steve, you've got me worrying now. I'm keen for others input on this one.
    Last edited by Javal; 02-09-2009 at 12:02 AM.
    The 18R-G. The GOOD 2 Litre Tractor motor.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

the DCOE pattern aftermarket throttle bodies would provide the same look, since they just mount onto the factory carby manifold, allowing you to keep your factory balance chamber and vacuum attachments.

The amount of effort would be much less too - and making an adaptor manifold wouldnt be cheap.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

-------ALL.44U------- Domestic Engineer old_school_jap1's Avatar

Does anyone know anything about the jap throttles described halfway through this thread; http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47402 ??? I have searched the interwebs and come up with nothing. they would be great because they sort of look like carbys and are dcoe pattern.
    RN16 Hilux; 18RG swap underway http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=40561

Quote Originally Posted by ae71 View Post
    but im trying to use bolts with this car.

Junior Member Carport Converter RAd28's Avatar

There was a set of HKS ITBs for with a DCOE pattern on yahoo Auctions not too long ago, VERY well priced too, a little over $300 was the final price I think... I'm spewing now I didn't bother spending the coin...

Steve M - Do you have a rides thread at all? Interested to see what you did with the ITBs...

Oldschooljap1 - Those kits mentioned in that thread from tweakit (just type that in to google) are just re-sold kits from "EFI Hardware"... I have no experience with them, but they look the goods, but they're certainly not cheap, around $1500 for the good kit i think.
    '77 RA28LT #2 ← 2.2L 18RG...

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

http://www.efihardware.com/products/...ttle-Body-Kits

These things make my pants tights, still tossing up (pun ftw) whether to get a set and stay NA (I know its cheaper and more power with turbo, but meh)
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

I'm more dodgy than a Backyard Mechanic ra_28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 7M-GTE MX73 View Post
    http://www.efihardware.com/products/...ttle-Body-Kits

These things make my pants tights, still tossing up (pun ftw) whether to get a set and stay NA (I know its cheaper and more power with turbo, but meh)
    That's what i'm running on my 18rg. Quite expensive once you buy the fuel rail and linkages to go with it.

But it should help make the 2200cc12.5:1 comp 18rg run nice.

Cheers
    Alex
    RA28 Turbo 18RG
    RT104 - spare toy
    MS55 delux - long term project
    BF II XR8

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23 View Post
    I trawled around last night looking at the Kilkenny Castings catalogue and images of their range....
    Owen where did you find such catalogue? I cant find an online one
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

Supercheap Auto stock stuff from Killenny Castings. That is where I saw a catalogue last.
    I also visited their factory. I saw their catalogue there too.

I still haven't sorted anything out as far as linkages go for the silvertops yet. I think that will be the biggest pain in my backside.

RAd - I do have a thread for my car, but no throttle pictures have been posted on it.
    http://www.toymods.net//forums/showthread.php?t=36554

The throttle and head pictures went here:
    http://www.toymods.net//forums/showp...postcount=1608
    http://www.toymods.net//forums/showp...postcount=1610
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sillycar chick View Post
    Owen where did you find such catalogue? I cant find an online one
    First place to go is here

Then try these
    Kilkenny Pictures

Kilkenny Catalogue
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Yeah onya smartarse...
    I DID google it, and i got the thrid link but I couldnt find any pictures like you had mentioned so I didnt think it was the catalogue you were looking at...
    Thanks anyway...
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Google Image search FTMFW... I actually searched for WO31 Thermostat
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    Supercheap Auto stock stuff from Killenny Castings. That is where I saw a catalogue last.
    I also visited their factory. I saw their catalogue there too.

I still haven't sorted anything out as far as linkages go for the silvertops yet. I think that will be the biggest pain in my backside.

RAd - I do have a thread for my car, but no throttle pictures have been posted on it.
    http://www.toymods.net//forums/showthread.php?t=36554

The throttle and head pictures went here:
    http://www.toymods.net//forums/showp...postcount=1608
    http://www.toymods.net//forums/showp...postcount=1610
    Awe inspiring and just inspirational in general. Steve, you win.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Yeah steve I looks like you will have fun getting those throttle links done. Was ther no way you could keep the links as per OEM 20v setup?

I'll have pics up soon of my engine. Just at JMR's workshop now getting the crank trigger done, then it's coming home
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl View Post
    Yeah steve I looks like you will have fun getting those throttle links done. Was ther no way you could keep the links as per OEM 20v setup?

I'll have pics up soon of my engine. Just at JMR's workshop now getting the crank trigger done, then it's coming home
    Well the way i'm looking to do it would be to have the inlet runners bend to suit both the port spacing on the head and the ITB spacing, that way standard linkages can be retained. I hope.

ITB's should be here tueday - wednesday, i'll have a better look then.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

I was playing around with my linkages and manifold on Friday and discovered something.
    The silvertop throttles are perfectly spaced up for use with a weber carby mount pattern.

The only linkage that would need to be changed is the centre one because those two throttles are too far from each other.

I would have to change the length of the pushrod between the cable pull and the main link arrngement and possibly the length of the pushrod to the primary throttle.

The throttle stop would have to be cut off from the cylinder 1 throttle and they would all have to be mounted upside down.

I hadn't thought about mounting them in reverse until I started writing this, that may make the whole procedure easier also.
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")