Page 101 of 392 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 5874

Thread: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Junior Member Grease Monkey MnToyGuy's Avatar

Default Re: For the love of a tractor engine: The life and times of the 18R-G

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Precision springs do double valve spring kits for early RGs....
    Do you have the contact info for them?

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Nope, I got my springs through a head shop in Townsville that has since moved to sydney. You would need to know all the technical info about the springs, like the rate, diameter, height when installed etc.

Hosking, pm coming your way.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

I'm no Domestic Engineer Steve M's Avatar

o_man, are you sure it was precision springs, or was it performance springs.

We've used the performance springs RR4 model before, and that is good.
    Here's the information for the springs we used. They are just below half way down the list.

http://www.performancesprings.com.au/46dualsprings.html
    Strong like horse, smort like tractor!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Yeah, twas precision mate, but they were ordered by spec, not by part number, so I was never given a part number, and I was never told the specs, so I can't help.

Good that you have details on the performance springs you used though, that should be helpful to others (maybe me too)
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hey guys,

Quick question about the SHIMS again.

I called Precision Shims today and asked about shims for the 18RG.

I measured the diameter of my current shims and they were 13.7mm.

Now he has a listing for 13.8's which is all good, but he doesn't have enough in stock for me.

He did say that I could use the 13mm ones.

Anyone have an opinion on this, or is better to just wait for the slightly larger diameter ones?

Thanks

Dave

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Tricky, I fell your pain

I have an 18rg cylinder head with an 18rc block.... I'm in a world of unknowns at this point!
    Seeing as how I know that my bottom end is definatley 18rc have you done a compression check?

I'm getting 130-140 psi now so, you may be able to tell from that. From what I understand the 18rg's had 10-1 compression which judging by my last car (Swift GTi 10-1) should net 180-210 compression?

Hope that helps

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia roadkill's Avatar

Hi jusepi,

I would highly suggest that you read through this thread - you'll get a whole new world of 18rg info!! Have you actually got the engine running atm or is that an educated guess of your compression psi??? Some of the engines ran 8.7:1 comp pistons - so lower results can be expected. I'm not sure exactly what the psi would be of the lower comp engines but from memory it's about 140-150.

Also to note, if you haven't put the engine together you will need an rg bottom end. Different timing cover, different pump drive shaft, different pistons and different oil pump. Best off just keeping an eye out for a complete rg - much easier.

bEn
    FJ40 landcruiser
    HJ47 landcruiser
    FJ55 Landcruiser
    MS65 Crown

Junior Member Conversion King timbosaurus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jusepi
    Tricky, I fell your pain

I have an 18rg cylinder head with an 18rc block.... I'm in a world of unknowns at this point!
    Seeing as how I know that my bottom end is definatley 18rc have you done a compression check?

I'm getting 130-140 psi now so, you may be able to tell from that. From what I understand the 18rg's had 10-1 compression which judging by my last car (Swift GTi 10-1) should net 180-210 compression?

Hope that helps
    Hey Jusepi!

As already mentioned... reading as much of this thread as you can will remind you that the RG had pistons in 8.3:1, 8.7:1, 9.2:1 and 9.7:1 varieties.

Also, dynamic compression is not a good way to measure static compression ratio. Other factors like condition, cam profiles, and cam timing affect it way to much.

Cheers,
    Timbo
    Current rides...
    2) White RA25ST
    1) Red RA28LT (NOW WITH 1G )

Junior Member Grease Monkey Gunna's Avatar

Hey guys,

Some of you might have read that the timming chain slippers that a heap of us were getting done broke. I have everything for my RG exept slippers so if anyone knows of anywhere else that can do them i would really appreciate it cause its all thats stopping my engine from going in. Any help would be great thanks guys...

Cheers, Craig...

Junior Member Grease Monkey MnToyGuy's Avatar

See my post in the slipper thread. I we can ID the material, I'm sure we can find a solution.

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

The 9.7:1 comp ratio is the original 18R-G. (210 head)

I think the 9.2:1 is the 18R-GR, but need to check on this before saying it is fact. (230 head?)

The 8.7:1 and 8.2:1 is the 18R-GU variants, but without my notes on hand I cannot remember which head gave which compression.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

now with 7m powaz Automotive Encyclopaedia hosking1991's Avatar

i believe the 270 head was 8.3:1 cr

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

Cool. That means the 250/253 head was the 8.7:1.

I should remember this shit, and I'm sure I've put it in a thread somewhere, but I'm old and my brain is fading faster than drum brakes.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Gday,

Josepi, cam timing can make a world of difference. With the variants of this engine which included adjustable cam timing, or by having re-grinds/new cams made, you can increase overlap by a large amount and reduce that dynamic compression... which can go down to readings like 110psi etc. An engine like that would be terrible to drive down low, but would get really exciting once the revs rose past an 18R-C's freespinning redline. Of course, a motor like that would be able to transport River through the time-space continuum, and we know that an event such as that could have catastrophic consequences!!!
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    With the variants of this engine which included adjustable cam timing, or by having re-grinds/new cams made, you can increase overlap by a large amount and reduce that dynamic compression... which can go down to readings like 110psi etc. An engine like that would be terrible to drive down low, but would get really exciting once the revs rose past an 18R-C's freespinning redline.
    Hey Owen,

You have me thinking now.

When I put the rebuilt RG in, after a bit of running I was only showing just over 100PSI for all 4 cyclinders.

The thing about it was, the car felt ok to drive and picked up nicely around the 3-4000 mark.

See my previous post about my clearances and tell me what your opinion is.

I am organizing shims which will take my clearnances to the mimium of .26 and .31 respectively.

Dave