Thread: Whats in common with a 20V 4AGE and a 'small port' 4AGZE ?

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Default Whats in common with a 20V 4AGE and a 'small port' 4AGZE ?

Hi,

I am considering the free flowing head of the 20V 4AGE as a future upgrade of my SC14 4AGZE setup. I have heard people of this forum say that 20V 4AGE has the same rods and crank as the small-port 4AGZE. Is this true?

The heavier crank and larger bearing surfaces sound at odds with an engine that has a higher rev limit etc..(more inertia and friction).

But, if this is true, it would mean simply inserting some low compression pistons (say 8.9:1 or 8.0:1) in a 20V would give you a nice base engine for a supercharger/turbocharger setup.

Regards, Nick.
    Last edited by nick.parker; 25-01-2006 at 08:10 PM.
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

Default Re: Whats in common with a 20V 4AGE and a 'small port' 4AGZE ?

yeah its been covered before. i think one of the main issues is the clearance between the valves and the piston when the valve is at maximum lift.

thats why 20v pistons are cut.....
    ive seen the conversion on engines before and seen the heads on 7A-FE (now 7A-GE 20v)

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.p...2071be8d06401a
    http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.p...2071be8d06401a
    here are two threads regarding the same questions
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Hi,
    Thanks for the links. There are lots of opinions about what is best. But no-one answers my question. Though I did read the head can be put on the GZE.

Has anyone out there compared the heads on say a turbo setup?

http://www.toymods.org.au/4A-GTE/

In the 4AGTE article. The guy says bigport head is best for turbo because the ports are bigger. But the valves are the same on both (16V) engines and are a smaller area than the ports...so surely this would be a more critical factor for 'restriction'.
    The effective inlet valve area of the 20V is larger than the 16 valve and it has 0.5mm larger exhaust valves so why wouldn't that be better? He also says VVT is not necessary because you can get adjustable cam gears...that is missing the point isn't it!!! The cam gears cant change the timing while youre driving unless you don't do up the little bolts Has anyone ever compared 16V smallport with 16V bigport vs 20V head on a turbo setup on a dyno?

Cheers, Nick.
    Last edited by nick.parker; 25-01-2006 at 10:24 PM.
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

Hide Yo Kids Hide Yo Wife Carport Converter hamgatan's Avatar

*insert Bill Sherwood here*

www.billzilla.org ...

theres bound to be an answer there. i think bill goes into some detail about 4AFE and 7AFE heads.. so might see something about a GZE in there too if youre lucky...
    B7 2005.5 Audi A4 2.0TFSI Quattro Turbo Keepin' My Pimp Hand Strong
    GDB 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Stock and Unmolested!
    JZZ20 1988 Soarer GT Twin Turbo
    1JZ-GTE + R154 + LSD | Black Knight Still being Assembled
    JZX90 1993 Mark II Tourer V 1JZ-GTE + A340E | 270rwhp
    Z20Soarer.Org - The definitive resource for all xZ20 Owners.

That's me before i was a Conversion King -GT-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slide86
    i think one of the main issues is the clearance between the valves and the piston when the valve is at maximum lift.

thats why 20v pistons are cut.....
    Yeah, but the 20V is non-interference, and lower comp pistons are going to give you more clearance, so no problems there.
    AE93 SX 20V - Next Wakefield track day is 13th of November 2015!
    1:15.47 at Wakefield Park | 1:59.45 at Eastern Creek GP | 1:08.81 at SMP South | 2:04.77 at Phillip Island
    Toymods Club Member

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

actually, both the GZE pistons are flycut for valves also (to the SAME depth), so if you use them with a 20V, chances are that it will become interference... thats ok.. just don't break the timing belt

are you sure the 20V head is more free flowing? the factry outputs ae a little fudged, and when both have ITB's, there is not much in it..

main reason would be ONLY for the VVT, but even then.. are you going to get better spoolup that is noticable? for an SC, it might be better,but lag is lag... check out the GT2510 thread of recent.

if you look in the GZE comparison thrad rom Witzl in the FAQ (i think), he says what is the same or not...

it semed (from memory) and each generation uses the same parts, regardless of type (NA, SC, 20V)

20V rev limit higher than GZE? duh, SC is not so efficient up high

But, if this is true, it would mean simply inserting some low compression pistons (say 8.9:1 or 8.0:1) into any engine would give you a nice base engine for a supercharger/turbocharger setup.
    well.. logic says so...

if the 20V is your thing, and you are going for uber numbers (well.. say 20+psi) then by all means get some forged pistons for a 20V and go from there
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -GT-
    Yeah, but the 20V is non-interference, and lower comp pistons are going to give you more clearance, so no problems there.
    you wanna back that up with fact?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!