Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: <ANSWER JZGTE igniter = dumb> JZ-GTE igniter / IGt

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Default <ANSWER JZGTE igniter = dumb> JZ-GTE igniter / IGt

Hi,

I'm wondering about the suitability of using a JZ-GTE (1jz and 2jz igniters are the same) on an aftermarket ECU...(if the dwell time in the igniter is constant then I can't see why you couldn't use it with an aftermarket ECU).

I'm trying to ascertain exactly what the chain of events from the ECU -> Igniter -> Coil is

The autoshop101 docs lead one to believe that the dwell is controlled by the igniter...this doesn't seem to hold true for the JZGTE igniter

Answer: JZGTE igniter is DUMB; easy to use on an aftermarket ECU!

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Last edited by wilbo666; 23-04-2007 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Answer found! :)

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: JZ-GTE ignitor / IGt

most ignitors just have an earth trigger then it trigers the coil to an earth

so it should be ok to use a 2j ignitor

they are all dumb ignitors and have a fixed dwell
    u then adjust dwell on aftermarket ecu usually depending on coil or amount of coils u have

I know how the ignitor works.

What I was trying to establish was when the ignitor started it dwell time period from! (the falling edge of IGf? or the rising edge of IGf? or ?)

And yes 2JZGTE ignitor is the same as 1JZGTE ignitor.

If the ignitor does have a fixed dwell then you would simply need to know when the ignitor started its dwell period from and then you could account for this in the aftermarket ECU (as a subtraction or addition to the wanted timing). If it is variable it is prbly not worth bothering

Can anyone else confirm that the dwell period is fixed?!

btw in my terminology I consider a 'dumb' ignitor not to control dwell at all...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

why the fuk do u want to know when it starts and stops

on a microtech u can adjust the dwell depending how much load is on the ignitor

more coils then u adjust the dwell it is one fixed setting throught out whole rev range

i do know that some bosch coils put more load on some ignitors and have seen ems ignitors fail when fitted with some coils after afew weeks or months of use

an ignitor is just like a signal amplifier
    weak signal from ecu gets upped to strong signal to trigger coil

here is how i use an ignitior

i goot shop and buy a bosch 008 ignitior

i wire it up to an autronic or a microtech

then i tune th eneigne

thats it its soooo easy

i dont need to know anything else about that ignitor as long as it works

u cant adjust anyhting in them

its all done by the ecu

on the haltech instruction manual for normal every day ingitors they call them

constant charge ignitors so im sure the dwell stays the same

Current UZA80 owner Chief Engine Builder JustCallMeOrlando's Avatar

Spend $115 on a Microtech X4 (or a little more if you want an X6) and let the ECU control the show.
    Teh UZA80 - Project Century - Remotely p00'd by association

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow
    why the fuk do u want to know when it starts and stops
    cos it depends on if the ignitor is smart (controls dwell) or dumb (and the ECU must control dwell).
    it also depends if the ignitor triggers on the leading or trailing edge of the ECU output.

ie.. if the ignitor is smart and triggers on leading edge, then both the ECU and ignitor are doing dwell, but the advance angle doesn't change... relatively speaking...

if the ECU is doing dwell, but the ignitor triggers on falling edge, then the ignitor starts dwelling when the ECU has stopped dwelling.. and that difference of 3 or 4ms is a big difference in spark angle.....

if you are using the ECU to control dwell, then you are using dumb ignitors.
    if you are tuning from scratch, and don't care about the actual advance numbers being input (ie, as long as engine likes it), then you don't need to worry about base advance or what is dwelling.. you just press up and down keys until tuned and ignore any display on screen

i spose not everyone just plugs shit together and hopes it works....
    break out the scope and test the triggering
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    When the ECU wishes to send spark it asserts IGtx in a fashion such as _____|---|_____
    I think on the falling edge the Ignitor then starts the dwell sequence and then fires the spark? But this is just a guess, I can't really tell (it could happen differently).
    My initial hypothesis would be that while IGT is zero, there is no current passing through the coil. On the rising edge the coil begins charging, and discharges on the falling edge. I'd also suspect that the ignitor is nothing more than a bunch of high voltage darlingtons (which funnily enough fits in with the hypothesis). This also allows the signal on IGT to control dwell time completely.

As you said, scoping the relevant pins will yeild the answer. (I wish I had done it at some stage... now I need to "borrow" a 1JZ )

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

So what ecu are you planning on using? megasquirt? something else? So you are trying to determine if the stock igniter is dumb and can be used by an aftermarket ecu that can control dwell. I would probably do what Orlando said and buy an x4 or x6 and sell your stock 1j igniter. I sold mine for $100. That pays for a new one just about And you know it will be dumb.

Or just see what other MS users are using.

BTW I don't like the idea that OC had re tuning to whatever the engine likes. It sort of seems like you would be tuning blind. I would much prefer to have everything spot on so that you know that if you want 20deg advance you get 20deg advance.

my 2c
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    So what ecu are you planning on using? megasquirt? something else?
    Prbly going to go adaptronic

Quote Originally Posted by chris davey
    So you are trying to determine if the stock igniter is dumb and can be used by an aftermarket ecu that can control dwell. I would probably do what Orlando said and buy an x4 or x6 and sell your stock 1j igniter. I sold mine for $100. That pays for a new one just about And you know it will be dumb.
    Yep, trying to work out if the stock ignitor is dumb, or at least constant dwell.

I guess I could go and buy a new one, but yeah, then you don't get to find stuff out and stuff

I think it will be an interesting exercise to scope it and find out; for everyones future knowledge!

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Wilbo - do you want to borrow one of my spare ECU's to test/bench drive a spare igniter? I also have a collection of single-channel toyota igniters if you want to do some comparative analysis (to bring out your inner geek)
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

I'll think I'll just whip the cro out on the weekend and test it on the car, the ECU can drive it as per normal

No need to do it on the bench, easier in the car!

I'll post results when / if I get them

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 1jzracing's Avatar

yes you can

an igniter is just a glorified transistor switch, a 5v signal is used to pull the coil wire to earth simple as that and the 1j igniter is just a bank of 6 of them

i have used the 1jz igniter with an after market ecu (wolf) to make over 300rwkw no problems, i set the dwell (charge time) to about 3ms and it worked perfectly

after that i started using a CDI for boost over 22psi
    a fool remains undescovered untill he speaks!

ANSWER: The JZ-GTE igniter is a DUMB igniter. It does not control dwell at all.

IGt OFF = GND
    IGt ON = +5V

IGt OFF state -> IGc OFF state (IGc=Open Circuit)
    IGt ON state -> IGc ON state (IGc=GND)

tlow-high delay = ~36uS
    thigh-low delay = ~20uS

English Translation: When there is 5V at the IGt pin then the corresponding IGc pin will be connected to GND. Where there isn't 5V at the IGt pin then the corresponding IGc pin will be Open Circuit.

Ch1 = IGc (300R pullup to Igniter Power ~13.2V)
    Ch2 = Simulated IGt input (signal generator)

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Last edited by wilbo666; 24-04-2007 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Added Channel Descriptions to CRO plot

Default Re: <ANSWER JZGTE igniter = dumb> JZ-GTE igniter / IGt

Also 1JZ-GTE dwell time...(JZZ30 Auto ECU)

Idle = ~3.6mSec
    2000+ RPM = ~2.2mSec

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member Domestic Engineer mic*'s Avatar

Default Re: <ANSWER JZGTE igniter = dumb> JZ-GTE igniter / IGt

Good info Will,

The TSRM for a (Supra) 7mgte describes testing the power transistors of the igniter, and being that there is a few differences, i thought id put it out there to discuss.

Firstly, you only need a 3V dry cell to switch the transistors... So maybe 5V is just ensuring the signal voltage is always high enough to trigger...

Secondly, when you apply the voltage the igniter, it "momentarily" (read:dwell?) earths the 12V supply to the respective coil. It doesnt matter how long you hold the 3V there, the coil is only earthed for the same constant "moment".

Does this make it a constant dwell system?
    meh...