Thread: 4AC broken head - remedy?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Unhappy 4AC broken head - remedy?

evenin' all ...

The AE71 has spat a head ... dribbling water into number 3 exhaust port. After removing the head, I can't see a hole ... so I assume that the breakage is internal - I assume a water gallery has corroded through to the exhaust port.

So - is there any way to repair this sort of thing? Or is this a throw the head away and find a replacement?

If (as I expect) there's no way of repairing this sort of damage, anybody know of a reasonable place in Adelaide (South Aust) to buy a reco head? Speaking of which, does a recon head usually come with valves and springs, or am I going to have to do something about that too?

bugger,
    Slapper

is damn glad to meet ya. Domestic Engineer andy's Avatar

Default Re: 4AC broken head - remedy?

if your lucky you can find a whole working 4ac for free these days. so i would check out some classifieds, or ask on here, as there is always someone who has one lying around and willing to get rig of it.

or call the wreckers, should not cost more then $50-80 imo. a 20v head costs $220....

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

Or use this as an excellent excuse to install a 4ag(z)e

Quote Originally Posted by andy
    if your lucky you can find a whole working 4ac for free these days. so i would check out some classifieds, or ask on here, as there is always someone who has one lying around and willing to get rig of it.

or call the wreckers, should not cost more then $50-80 imo. a 20v head costs $220....
    I know I know I know
    wreckers want $165 for a secondhand head ... and $45 to have it faced and pressure tested. Or $385 for a reconitioned one ... even $200 is too much to spend on this engine, but it's my daily driver so I'm kinda shafted!

I'd love to post in the parts wanted section - not enough rep points yet though
    They'll come, but it's always the way that you need things before you've got them!

Slapper

Quote Originally Posted by Starfire
    Or use this as an excellent excuse to install a 4ag(z)e
    Some day ... the KE25 has to get fixed first though so I can take this one off the road for more than a couple of days!

Still haven't been down to Regency to see what their take is on a twin-cam into an AE71. I seem to recall there was a bulletin covering dropping same displacement twin-cams into celicas last time I looked (a couple years ago now) so maybe there's something similar for the corolla.

One day

cheers,
    Slapper

is damn glad to meet ya. Domestic Engineer andy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slapper
    I know I know I know
    wreckers want $165 for a secondhand head ... and $45 to have it faced and pressure tested. Or $385 for a reconitioned one ... even $200 is too much to spend on this engine, but it's my daily driver so I'm kinda shafted!

I'd love to post in the parts wanted section - not enough rep points yet though
    They'll come, but it's always the way that you need things before you've got them!

Slapper
    call toyospares in melb. they might get one cheap for you, so cheap that with postage it would be cheaper then that.

actually i think i saw 2 4ac in their bin on friday.

ToyotaCarClub.net Domestic Engineer Starfire's Avatar

I'm going to have a spare 4ac soon, but i dont believe that it will be soon enough for you
    1987 AW11 MR2 Supercharger (4AGZE)
    1974 TA22 Celica (2TG bored and stroked)

Thanks to James Cameron's Terminator films, we know that robots are stronger, faster, tougher and more Austrian than the rest of us.

I wouldn't trust a... Conversion King Smokey228's Avatar

theres a wrecked seca on here atm. get the car off him and convert urs to a 4age... much better choice... ive got a 4ac and as soon as it dies im getting a 4age! its not worth doing so much work to an engine that poor...

my 2c,
    jason
    JZA023
    11.51 @ 126MPH | 430RWHP @ 21PSI

Quote Originally Posted by YLD-16L
    Cuzzo is such a premature ejaculator he fertilised the very egg that he grew from

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

u-pull-it
    u-pull-it
    u-pull-it

grab one from there. i dont thing they will charge that much for a bear head.....just make sure you take off all the stuff cause other wise they will charge you for the things you dont need.....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au