Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 2jz Bottom End 1jz Head

The Bling Garage Mechanic Automotive Encyclopaedia Wildsupra's Avatar

Default Re: 2jz Bottom End 1jz Head

Here's a pic of my 1j head, dunno which bit the problem is though.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Here's a 2J head for comparison, sorry for the stitched picture, mobile phone camera

Yes please enlighten me why coolant is going to start pouring into my #2 cylinder. When you say crank up the boost, how much are you talking about? I'm running 18psi through a GT40-88.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

slightly OT query: why does no-one talk about 2JGTE heads onto 1JZ blocks? (apart from the wrongness of pulling a 2J apart)

... after looking at/comparing the size of the zorst ports on 1J and 2J heads it's pretty obvious that the 3 litre donk flows an metric arse-load more exhaust gas. The 2J ports are huge compared to the 1J zorst ports. i didn't get a chance to compare intake ports.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

1JZ Jockey Grease Monkey

I guess mainly for the cost versus extra performance factor.
    The sole and main reasons for the 2JZ block onto a 1J head is for the extra 500cc and most importantly if you have spent sh*tloads on custom manifolds turbos, headwork etc on your 1J head but have blown the block apart.
    If you wanted the extra flow of the 2J head you might as well swap the whole motor in. It could be done if you were hardcore on keeping the 1J block but I dont see why you would if you could spend the money on just getting the 1J head done if you wanted extra flow.

Forum Sponsor Backyard Mechanic Soarer21's Avatar

Ive seen one engine in Japan with a 2J head on a 1J block. NFI why they did it.

Now I have been racing a 1.5JZ with somewhere around the mid 400's at the rear wheels since beginning of the years. I built it myself, spent a fair bit of time studying the heads of both, and the gaskets of both and I did weld a small secton of the head, but not anywhere near #2 and had nothing to do with water... Prior to doing it, I also spoke to John Hill, and he told me what was required and it had nothing to do with water, or #2...

Also, the bypass pipe between water pump and water outlet IS a different length between 1J and 2J and the water outlet is slightly different as previously noted. I have photos at work of these things. IF you actually want to see, PM me an email address and I'll send you some pictures
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

1jz-gte vs 2jz-gte bypass neck comparison attached
    GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by manny
    Well that settles that.

Quote Originally Posted by manny
    Good pic mate, up-rep

Here are mine:

Bypass pipe length difference

Water outlet difference. Sorry for blurry pic, dodgy camera

Oil feed area of headgaskets. 1J on top, 2J on bottom

1J head, oil feed area

2J head, oil feed area

2J block, oil feed area

1J block, oil feed area

1JZ head with oil feed section welded up, and re-drilled at angle so the 2J feed hole in block is met.

Now, it may not be 100% required to do this as someone has already said they didnt and its running however, if you look at the block areas and the head etc it is highly likely that an oil feed issue will occur without doing this as the high pressure feed is very close to the edge if you do the swap and no changes. I looked at the water jacketing for a while prior to proceeding with the conversion and I couldn't see any reason as to why any other changes might need to occur.

Thats just my $0.02 worth anyway

Also, forgot to mention.

Serpentine belt tensioner from 2J needs to be used, can't use 1J unit as they are different angles and you wont get the 1J unit to work.

Oil pumps are "almost" identical from the outside. I tried to pull one of each apart but they resisted my ministrations and I surrendered to their will. What I did find however is that the mounting point for the timing belt tensioner is about 5mm different from each other, and the if you use the 1J oil pump on the 1.5J the timing belt tensioner will only JUST put enough tension on the belt for it to be functional. I've run it this way for all year to now with a rev limit of 8000rpm and had no issues but I was peeved when I realised what Id done, and since it was already together I wasnt pulling it down again just for that. JHH made me a mechanical tensioner anyway that does away with the Toyota sprung/hydro unit and removes the possibility of a belt jump under high RPM shock loads. Again, may not be 100% needed but better to be safe then sorry sometimes.

Apart from that most of its simple. Fuel feed to rail needs the 1J feed and it can't be bolted to the block as it was originally because the extra block height means it wont reach properly.

Can't recall any other things being of concern.

I used the 2J inlet valves in the 1J head also, as they were larger however 1J exhaust valves are larger then 2J

I used a GReddy 1.2mm headgasket as well, so CR was higher then usual. I didnt mind as it made it a bit more responsive.

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soarer21
    Also, forgot to mention.

Serpentine belt tensioner from 2J needs to be used, can't use 1J unit as they are different angles and you wont get the 1J unit to work.
    You mean Timing belt tensioner right

Not serpentine...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Quote Originally Posted by wilbo666
    You mean Timing belt tensioner right

Not serpentine...

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Said what I meant, meant what I said mate sorry
    Assembled the front, went to fit serpentine belt and wondered why it wouldnt fit... Compared the starting angles of the two serpentine belt tensioners and found they were different. Fitted the 2J unit, serpentine belt went on like it was meant to be there...

I didnt note any difference between timing belt tensioner arms, but didnt do any measuring so can't comment on them sorry.
    Last edited by Soarer21; 01-10-2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added word "serpentine" to avoid confusion again

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Said what I meant, meant what I said mate sorry
    Assembled the front, went to fit serpentine belt and wondered why it wouldnt fit... Compared the starting angles of the two serpentine belt tensioners and found they were different. Fitted the 2J unit, serpentine belt went on like it was meant to be there...
    Well there ya go! I might check that at some stage!

I didnt note any difference between timing belt tensioner arms, but didnt do any measuring so can't comment on them sorry.
    They are different, same bearing different arm...

Cheers
    Wilbo

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice benny c's Avatar

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster. lol, always wanted to say that

I have a 1j with a bottom end that has seen many better days. Was hooked up with a 2j bottom end by a mate so am about to proceed with the 1.5j conversion. With all this talk about oil feed lines, I thought that I'd ask the guy doing all the head work for me. We overlayed the 2j gasket on the 1j head and found out that this oil feed hole in question doesn't some close to lining up, so it would appear that the head does need modding.

Went into see some mates at the local toyota dealership and harrassed them about interchangable parts. After a good few hours staring at the parts pc screen we came up with a list of what is and is not changable, and this differs somewhat from what the general concensus is. Hopefully by the time we have finished this project, I will have a complete list of what has to be done, and what parts to use (with numbers )

Cheers
    Last edited by benny c; 13-10-2007 at 10:17 PM.

regular fella Conversion King chris davey's Avatar

Top work mate. I am sure a lot of people would be very greatful. Using a je or gte bottom end?
    Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    that interior is so jap...just looking at it makes me want to kill a whale
    QUICKEST 1JZ'S IN OZ