Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you wire a light to signal thermo fans are on?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic pisso001's Avatar

Default How do you wire a light to signal thermo fans are on?

Hi all,

Basically I want a small light to come on when my thermo fans come on so i know they are working how they should.. Ive done all the wiring of the thermo fans so it should be easy just wondering how to do it...

Thanks,

Chris.

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Default Re: How do you wire a light to signal thermo fans are on?

Just wire the LED into the switch power circuit.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

My wife loves a Grease Monkey pauljones1976's Avatar

I would suggest using a Relay to run your light. Relays are cheap (less than $5 I think). Try Dick Smith Electronics or an automotive shop. Here is a diagram for how a relay works:

I'd cut your thermo fan power wire, one side of your cut to 85 & the other to 86 (ie wire the relay in series with the power wire), then wire a 12v LED between 30 and say the accessory fuse in your fusebox. Then run 87 to a ground (or the chassis).

This way, you do not affect the current (power) driving your thermo.

Cheers,
    -Paul.
    "If you keep fixing it for long enough, eventually it WILL break."

- RA28 3TGTE - I sold it. Bad idea. www.glisten.net.au/celica/index.htm
    - RA23 3TGTE - 168rwkw 12.9sec Toffee Apple [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/26625-RA23-3TGTE-168rwkw-12-9sec-Toffee-Apple?p=561925#post561925[/URL]

Gary Motorsport Inc. Too Much Toyota takai's Avatar

Uh, you do know a relay is switched from post 30.
    The LED will burn out if its used to ground a 10-20A thermo fan.
    You have to run the light in line with the thermoswitch, not with the thermofan. Relay is assumed.

Also how you have suggested it the fans are on permanently when the accessories are powered.
    -Chris | Garage takai - Breaking cars since 1998
    Sparky - AE86 IPRA Racer | RZN149 Hilux - Parts and Car Hauler
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

Quote Originally Posted by takai
    Uh, you do know a relay is switched from post 30.
    The LED will burn out if its used to ground a 10-20A thermo fan.
    You have to run the light in line with the thermoswitch, not with the thermofan. Relay is assumed.

Also how you have suggested it the fans are on permanently when the accessories are powered.
    Good points, the dude has the switch in there also though so it will be bale to be turned on or off as long as the ignition is on.

If you were putting in a switch that is not already in the car you can also buy switches that have lights in them which may make your installation easier.

Heres an updated pic but good pic to start with also

cheers
    linden

Junior Member Carport Converter RA35GT's Avatar

Roadrunner, while your diagram will turn the light on, depending on the current draw of the light, pin85 on the relay may not be brought fully to ground (which would mean the relay wouldnt operate, thus disabling the fans).

Its much easier to just place a light in parralel with the coil in the relay. As per attached pic.

So everytime there is voltage applied across the relays coils the light will light up as well.
    1977 RA35 Celica GT - I4 | 2007 GSV40R Aurion - V6
    Don't live life being scared of death, live in the fear of not truly living. RP 2012

Forum Sponsor Conversion King

LEEROY was whoring not me,
    he wanted to show off his famous paint skills or lack there of.

i would go with your setup if i was wiring but i dont do wiring as every time i touch a wire i get another grey hair.

cheers
    linden

Guys, please do not pay any attention to the diagram I had in my post - it was to demonstrate how a relay works NOT how to wire up the LED in question. It has been taken directly from another website and NOT MODIFIED. It shows how to wire up a relay for your lighting system etc.

There is no need for the switch as explained. Just that I did not remove it from the picture. I did not edit the picture so that it could be hosted directly from the original site.

Cheers,
    -Paul.

- RA23 3TGTE - 168rwkw 12.9sec Toffee Apple [URL="http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/threads/26625-RA23-3TGTE-168rwkw-12-9sec-Toffee-Apple?p=561925#post561925[/URL]

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Hey Chris i would pressume you have relays already hooked up to the fans, so just peel back some of the insulation on the positive power wire going to the fan motor, & solder onto it a wire which you can then run back into the cabin, to a led light & just earth the other side of the light, this way you will know when the fans are actually working, not just the relay being tripped ( Make sure you have a good rubber grommet or such on the wire going through the firewall ) ... Led lights draw stuff all current ........ The whole things not really necesary but if it makes you feel better, Don't forget your temp gauge ..

Lexsmaz, you are correct in saying that your way will actually indicate power flowing through the thermofan positive wire. However, it will still light the LED even if the circuit is broken at the thermo (ie: if the thermo motor dies) and that method will steal current from the thermofan(s) circuit. This is the reason I suggested putting a relay in series with the power wire to the thermo. That way you don't affect the thermofan circuit currrent (although the relay coil will draw a small amount more current) AND it tells you if the thermo is actually running. If it's not running, the circuit will not have current and the relay will not energize thus not engaging the LED.

Cheers,
    -Paul.

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

what lexs said is the best.

actually lights up when the fan is on.

all the other setups just say the thermo switch or relay works.

wanna know when the fans are on ... hook to the fan
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Thanks all for the suggestions.. I think ill use Lexmaz suggestion because its the simplest to set up.. Ill only be using the light for a little while until i get to trust the thermo fans are working how i want them to.. Thanks all, plus rep for all..

thanks,

chris.

Also should i put a fuse in the line for the light? Its only a really small LED so probably good idea.. What fuse should i use?

thanks again,

Chris.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

lol the LED should be a pretty good fuse. If everything was wired this way there'd be 1000's of fuses in every car. Just if your going to use an LED make sure you put a resistor in series with it otherwise you'll blow it.. say 580ohm.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

You don't need a fuse to protect the led, you need a fuse to protect the wire going to the led from shorting out. If the wire rubs through on the firewall, once your thermofans engage it will short out directly to ground. Just solder the smallest fuse possible inline as close to the thermofan as possible. If you do it neatly with heat shrink you won't even know the fuse there.

pauljones1976 - Yes, the led will 'steal' current from the thermofan circuit, but is in the order of 20-40ma, which is 0.04A, on a 20-30A circuit. If a led in parallel on the thermofan circuit causes problems, I would be taking a serious look at the thermofan wiring