Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corolla Engine Problem - Losing Oil

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Corolla Engine Problem - Losing Oil

My wife has a 2000 model Corolla hatchback, which has the 1.8 litre 4 cylinder (7AFE I think??). It clicked over to 106,000km today.

Recently it has started using quite a bit of oil. Now, it isn't leaking any oil whatsoever (not a single drop).

Tonight I did a compression test on all four cylinders, and with the throttle open they all record around 140-145 PSI. Although not a fantastic reading, I don't consider that to be too bad at all. There is also no visible sign of oil burning after a sustained downhill, xero throttle drive and then opening up the throttle, which is often a good sign of the oil escaping past the rings.

I took off the oil cap and started the engine, and let it idle. There was a very large amount of oil splattering out (up to a metre away, even though it was only at idle). I took out the PCV (?) valve on the side of the rocker cover and it made no difference at all. I then stopped the engine, replaced the oil cap and PCV valve and started it again. THis time I just removed the PCV valve from the rocker cover... as I would have expected it was blowing quite a bit of air out, with no signs of any oil at idle. As I revved the engine, there was a small amount of oil splattered out, and the amount of air pumping out decreased, which was once again what I expected.

My thought is that there is some sort of blockage preventing the oil draining back down to the sump quickly enough, but I am not sure. Are there any known problems with this engine, or does anyone have any suggestions as to where the oil may be going?

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default Re: Corolla Engine Problem - Losing Oil

When the 2 cams spin its going to throw oil out the oil filler cap, although i wouldnt imagine 1 metre away is normal. How does it throw it a metre out of such a small hole?

If the valve/hose is blocked, it will prevent oil draining back down to the block/sump, which may be your problem.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

Yeah, that is what I was thinking as well, however the oil has to go around a lot of corners to be thrown out because of the cams.. There is a splash guard type cover inside the filler, and in fact with my finger in the hole (engine not running), I am unable to get a finger on to the cam at all.

senior backyard mechanic Grease Monkey legend's Avatar

time for thicker oil

I don't believe that that will fix the problem... the compression readings aren't bad. I get the feeling that the oil is not being able to drain back down from the head properly...

There is no visible sign that the oil is getting down past the rings and out the exhaust....

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Thicker oil wont be the answer, i agreeand could in fact introducea whole new set of problems. Does the oil level come back up if you let it sit overnight? This should tell you if it is a blockage. Also what oil are you using, high detergent content ones tend to disappear in petrol engines with no visible signs.

regards

Greg
    71 ta22 2tgeu,ke35 18rg, ke 35 3k auto,74 ta22 2tg,73 ta22 2t,80 ra40 18rgeu,92 kawasaki gtr1000,95 nj pajero, 2011 jeep patriot,2011 aricat jd495,1979 leyland motorhome (350chev),1995 Mitsubishi Delica
    Too many cars so little time

Hi Greg.

No, the oil doesn't seem to come back... in fact, on Sunday, first thing in the morning, there was not a drop of oil on the dipstick. The oil pressure light hadn't come on, but there was very little oil in it.

I am not 100% certain of what the oil in it was, other then to say it was Havoline... from memory it was just a standard sort of oil (I know, that sounds really dumb!!).

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

If the light didnt come on that means there was enough pressure in the head, as thats where the sensor is, unplug the hose that goes to the pcv valve, let it run for 10 mins, then check the dipstick again.

I dont have a pcv valve but i had the same problem my mechanic blocked that hose and it pulled all the oil into the head.
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

I don't have a problem with the engine level after just one drive... the problem I have is that over a period of a month or two the entire oil supply is gone, and without it leaking anywhere....

I am hoping it is something as simple as a faulty PCV valve, or a bloked breather or oil gallery...

My suspicion is that over a lengthy drive, the oil is flowing back to the sump quickly enough and is instead going back through the breather/PVC valve to the intake and burning in the combustion chamber... i don't know how accurate that might be.

teq Grease Monkey

Could be bad valve stem seals.

My oil went from full and fresh to 1 3/4 qt or 1 1/2 litres in less than 1500 miles when mine toasted. What happens is the failed seal will allow a 'small' amount oil to be sucked passed it when your valves open (either through the intake side when it opens or off thottle on the exh side).

Do you happen to get a puff of blue smoke on startup that goes away immediately? Maybe it occasionally does a puff after sitting at idle at a stoplight/sign for a while?

If you do you have bad valve stem seals, I'm kinda suprised no one volunteered this as an option...

Suprisingly enough this happened 3 years ago on a 4 cyl 98 camry that my uncle has. Not too uncommon on newer engines if one happens to go bad for whatever reason.

Andrew

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Quote Originally Posted by Trekka273
    I don't have a problem with the engine level after just one drive... the problem I have is that over a period of a month or two the entire oil supply is gone, and without it leaking anywhere...
    Can you give us an idea about how many km per l or mi per qt???
    I haven't seen stems as being very big consumers no matter how bad they are, unless there's also a sludge and/or drainage problem, but they will certainly smoke a lot on startup & idle, with their only real harm causing huge build up on the intakes.

Junior Member Grease Monkey
    the border between northern & southern Ireland

In Ireland this year corolla (4afe) was recalled for valve stem oil seal failure & was fixed by toyota almost certain, dont know about the australian models though

I am not going to discount the valve stem seals, however there doesn't apear to be any real sign of them being bad.

As has been mentioned, normally if a valve stem seal was to leak it is only a small amount, but to lose 4 - 4.5 litres of oil in around 5,000 km you would have to see a lot of smoke from the car, and I don't see it.

I will have to get my wife to take it for a drive and I will follow just to see how much, if any, smoke is blown. When I drive it and look in the mirror for it, I just don't see any.

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

id belived the a litre per 1000km from valve stems. especially if it gets lots of short trips.. ie lots of starts.

i had a 4ag that started loosing a fiar bit of oil through the valve stems, serviced every 5000km and needed a quick top up before then.

if your compression numbers are good which they are fairly reasonable then oil isnt entering the chamber though the rings, its either loosing it out a leak (youve said its not), its entering the chamber though a leaky head gasket (would be odd), entering the water system though the HG or the valve stems.

i didnt read the thread too closely but have you checked the water for any signs of oil contamination ?

if the oil and water a clean of each other then id be pointing the finger towards valve stems.

Thanks for the replies.

There is no contamination of either the water or the oil, both are normal.

When my wife first had the car, she did do a lot of short trips, but for the last 3 years or so all of its trips have been of a decent length, not too much short driving.

I would have thought if it was going past the valves that it would have smoked more, but I guess you never know.