Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Celica Ra65 engine swap to 7mge

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

Default Re: Celica Ra65 engine swap to 7mge

The 3S-GE is setup for east-west fitment, so putting it in a north-south engine bay presents a few problems - mostly manifolds and coolant outlets etc pointing in the wrong direction, not to mention the distributor which wants to go through the firewall.

You can mix and match parts with the 2S-C though so you won't have to worry about the bellhousing, engine mounts or sump. Unfortunately none of the manifolds are interchangeable though.

EDIT: beaten to it. As above the 1G-GE is going to be cheaper and easier once it's all done, even if the 3S is very cheap up front.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I've been paid... finaly so now i have about 4 grand to play with.

Im thinking about the 3sgte now.

Is there a rwd version?

What will i need to complete the whole project in terms of parts and things ill need to convert with hand tools?

I want to get the latest model but are they very expensive? What are the diffrences?

Toymods Pimp Chief Engine Builder Norbie's Avatar

No there is not a RWD version - not in the conventional sense anyway. A few people have done similar conversions with 3S-GTE's (search around for more info) but trust me $4k won't even come close to covering it.

Anyway I thought turbos are out because you're on your P's?

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

3S-GTE could be done for $4k, if you can source the parts for a good price. I paid $760 delivered for my motor, and everything was working, would just need fabricating and $1000 worth of ECU. From there you need a flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, modify the radiator etc etc. I reckon it can be done for $4k, but it would take a lot of research, and you would need to find the parts for the right price (take a bit of waiting)

For quick and cheap, 1G variants will be the go, they can most certainly be done for under $4k.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Riverina Chapter Automotive Encyclopaedia andyroo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ill-minded
    common engine choices are 1G-GTE's as they fit in nicely without too much modification. this is what i'll be doing eventually

Personally I think that the non turbo variant would suit the 65 chassis perfectly, the 1GGEU is quite powerful for the size, and the cams make for some high revving power. I just went from 1GGEU to 1GGTE in my Xa61 celica xx, and its nice, but sometimes I kind of wish, despite the extra power, I would prefer to have the GEU back. It was quite quick in the XA61 car, and would be even better in an RA65.. Plus it sounds absolutley terrific compared to the turbo.
    2009 Toyota Hilux SR V6 4x4
    2000 Toyota Avalon Grande -SOLD 2014
    1985 Toyota Celica XX 1G-GTE - SOLD 2014

any modification is illegal, na or turbo.

so even though the 3sgte is the same series engine as the one i already have, id still have to modify the bellhousing. do they run the same splines?

changing engines for an extra 60hp-70hp sounds abit pointless so i may as well make an effort to put somthing decent in.

I can save abit more money but it seems it would make more sense from a financial perspective to buy a new car entirly. But having said that, i dont think i could find a car faster (non turbo 6 cylinder) than if i had the 3sgte for under 5ish grand.

So what eactly will i need to make the 3sgte fit to were the 2s-c used to be in the sa63 celica.

Somthing about crank centre sensors, manifolds, bellhousings flywheels and clutch's.

Anything else iv missed?

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

bellhousing... you can use either the existing one which will fit perfect but have the starter next to the turbo, or use the 3Y bellhousing, elongate 2 holes and the starter will be on the intake side away from the heat. You will need to make a dump pipe so the exhaust points toward the back of the car, rather than the side, you will need to modify the distributor so it is a cam angle sensor, then you will need a computer to run the ignition (or aftermarket fuel ignition computer to run the whole thing), the intake manifold needs to be cut down for bonnet clearance, and the mounts/piping to the intercooler modified accordingly, you will need a thermofan, make a bracket to mount the drivers side engine mount to, EFI fuel tank or surge tank (you have an SA63, so the RA65 EFI tank bolts in... check the pump size for suitability, or a correctly sized replacement pump will be required), upgrade fuel lines to EFI sized items (RA65 lines are perfect), install a cat converter or use the barrel type found on the 3SGTE, and that should be about it. If you stick with the stock top mount intercooler, if you get the Gen2, then you will need to cut a hole in the bonnet and put a scoop in to feed air to it, or if you get the Gen 3 with a Water to Air intercooler, you will need to put a heat exchanger at the front, probably try and use the standard one, and modify the pipes going to it.

As I said, check TurboRA28's thread on putting one into a Celica. You wont need to modify your crossmember and steering though.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

excelent!

Thanks

I'll come back if i have any probs