Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: gearbox options for engine conversion

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Default Re: gearbox options for engine conversion

HIlux G gearbox will take the same bellhousings as W55 onwards ('Supra') boxes.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

thanks sideshow it looks like i will be getting one of these from you in the very near future. Just another thought about the ecu, as most v6 motors out there are auto, if i get one of these and it is going to be manual is there anything else that has to be done to the ecu or should i just get a manual ecu from the wreckers?

just another question for those that have mated the v6 to the lux gearbox, do i have to have anything done to the flywheel on the v6 for it to fit the dellows/crs bellhousing

Dreamer Backyard Mechanic millsi's Avatar

just buy my 1uz hilux!! lol, sell that crap yamaha already and get sumpn decent!

Quote Originally Posted by millsi
    just buy my 1uz hilux!! lol, sell that crap yamaha already and get sumpn decent!
    How about i give you some style and swap my bike and ute for your track bike and ute??? sounds like an almost fair deal,,,,,,,,nah you would have to hand over some cash as well LOL.

good to catch up again mate, will let you know when the next track day is on.

V8 motavation. Grease Monkey 289hilux's Avatar

Lightbulb Re: gearbox options for engine conversion

Why not go for a V8. Don't do as all the other conversion guys do. Forget the holden V6 & V8. If you go that track you need to fit all the crap that goes withe EFI.
    I wanted to be a tad different so I fitted a 289 Windsor & C4. The combo I am running is all new and makes around 350Hp @ 6500. It will power skid at 60Kmh. The thing has cost around $11k so far. The conversion is quiet simple and the block sits on the original engine mounts I only had to fab plates for the block. The box uses a Toyota mount on the box and fit the Hilux tongue on the cross member. Shorten the front of the shaft still using the G292 diff.(8" & 4.10 ratio) My Lux is a 1989 RN85R.

Dare to be different. Try something OLD SCHOOL. Buy a cheap XR or similar most of the bits will be used. This way you could do it for around $2k or so.
    I have detailed pics of the install if you want.

289hilux...
    Injected 5.0L FORD power in HILUX is the only way forward!
    See my ride here: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...246#post601246

Thanks for the idea mate
    firstly is that i wasn't after high horsepower as I ride an R1 and know that no ute will compare to the fun of that. the ute is for taking the bike down to eastern creek and the the 22r shat itself so was looking at something functional and cheap.

I have a v6 fitted (bought the whole car for $380 off ebay and scrapped it for $400, so was really payed $20 for a good condition v6(replacement 22R was going to be over $1000)) Have done all the work myself so that was nothing. With bits and pieces plus the biggest cost the bellhousing, I'm out of pocket just over a grand plus engineers cert. to come $300.

so i'm back on the road with a v6 conversion for about $2500. it can be done.

secondly i hate fords

sir Grease Monkey

if you are looking for a decent v6 commodore engine i,ve got an ex gmh test engine that could be classed as new .its never been in a car and when i purchased it i stripped it measured it and reassembled it with new gaskets and seals .it is a manual and its in a dyno stand with a sorted loom ,computer, map sensor and flywheel. i bought it many years ago to put in a boat but a twin turbo maserati turned up for the right price. pm me if you are interested. cheers bigwad

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Or you could have bought an RT142 corona for $500, and then you have a 22RE thats been babied all its life. They have a bit more grunt than the 22R due to the EFI. The whole conversion to 22RE would have cost about $700, and then you can scrap the RT142 for a few bucks (if its a live axle avante, the back brakes are worth about $250, and the gearbox will sell to a holden/ford bogan for over $300 if its manual)
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.