Thread: Fitting AE92 spoiler - clips, flare clips, caps etc..

Junior Member Domestic Engineer ZZE92's Avatar

Default Fitting AE92 spoiler - clips, flare clips, caps etc..

OK, so this may not be strictly "tech" tech, but figured this was the best place for it.. I've recently had the mis-fortune of needing to re-fit the rear factory spoiler to my ae92 hatch. Since all of the clips etc that came out were pretty crap I figured I'd buy new bits and pieces from Toyota. Dirt cheap for Toyota parts (if anyone wants the part numbers let me know ).

Now most of the bits clip straight into the holes on the boot and fit in nice and snug, with the exception of these two...

Now, the skinny end of these bits (highly technical terms I know ) are meant to stick into a round hole (middle hole on the picture below), with the flat end slotting into a bracket on the spoiler.

The problem I'm having, is not knowing precisely wtf is meant to fasten the little clips into the holes??! As it is, there's no way in hell I'd be able to access the back of the hole to get a fastener behind it, and the white bits shown in the first pic are way too small to fill the hole and just flop around like a sausage in the hallway!

At the moment my options are to either find a proper solution or just glue them onto the car and hope for the best.. Obviously I'd rather not do the latter as I'd rather do this once and do it right. Toyota weren't a huge help when I asked them, so if anyone knows what part is needed (or if I've even got the correct part to begin with) it'd be a huge help..

Apologies for the lack of "true" tech to this but I really want to get the car back in one piece before Easter (Dubbo) and am running out of time..

Thanks all for any experience/knowledge..
    Last edited by ZZE92; 26-03-2007 at 08:38 PM.
    Cheers,
    Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by MR 1JZ View Post
    the snatch has been through hell and back and is still kicking!

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Default Re: Fitting AE92 spoiler - clips, flare clips, caps etc..

perhaps they aren't meant to fasten in place at all there Paul but simply align the spioler in the right direction, where as the corners would have the fasteners? Perhaps?

Also are they tape marks that are seen around the hole itself? If so there could be more to the install then just these clip thingys.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Founding ****** Automotive Encyclopaedia Mos's Avatar

The two white clips should have a matching female side.... you'll need to locate more appropriate females than those two big ho(l)es.
    That, or you a bigger size on the male ones.

Mos.
    Admin, I.T., Founding Member, Toymods Car Club Inc.
    2000 IS200 Sports Luxury 1UZ-FE VVTi, 1991 MX83 Grande 2JZ-GTE (sold)

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

mos is right they are two part clips

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

i have to dismantle mine pretty soon and on the back of mine it looks like the spoiler is held onto the boot with small (10mm?) nuts and bolts.. no clips on mine
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Thanks Mos. I'll have to give Toyota another call about the female side then. Hopefully these ones won't take 3 weeks to come in from Japan..

Dylan, the tape marks are simply from the electrical tape I was using to prevent rain getting into the holes. They are definitely fastened in there as the flat ends of the old ones were firm against the outside of the boot still when the spoiler was removed..

Vios - the top and bottom holes in the 2nd pic above accept small bolts through into the spoiler from behind.. The middle hole is completely innaccessible from the back so there's no way you could get a nuts/bolts through..

Thanks again all.

If anyone DOES know the part I need (or even where I could obtain a couple in the next week) please let me know
    Cheers,
    Paul.

w00t! in stock in Aus and can pick up tomorrow
    Cheers,
    Paul.