Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota's Interchangable Oddities.... (TIO#)

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default Re: Toyota's Interchangable Oddities.... (TIO#)

TIO#(WTFrweup2?)

4AG flywheel bolts (and presumeably 7AG) are the same as T series flywheel bolts (2T/2TG/3T/3TGTE). Only difference is 4AG has 8 bolts, T series has 6 bolts. I have read somewhere that 7AG has 6 bolts like T series (TBC).
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 3sgte's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sillycar chick
    TIO#(WTFrweup2?)

4AG flywheel bolts (and presumeably 7AG) are the same as T series flywheel bolts (2T/2TG/3T/3TGTE). Only difference is 4AG has 8 bolts, T series has 6 bolts. I have read somewhere that 7AG has 6 bolts like T series (TBC).
    Most of us are clear on this already, but it needs to be said.

There is no such thing (as stock) as a 7AG.
    For comparing overlaps of parts, we probably ought to stick to the source stock engines, not hybrids created from parts from different sources.

There is a 7A-FE, it has a crank with a different stroke than a 4A crank.
    The 7A-FE stock crank takes 6 bolts for the flywheel flange.

As for the bolts all being the same, I don't doubt that the dimensions are similar/same (assuming a comparison between all M/T equipped vehicles - A/T bolts are shorter).

However, there have been a few situations where people driving 4AGs have missed a shift and either broken or stretched the bolts. I wouldn't count on the metallurgy being the exact same for all of them.

On many of the newer vehicles with 12 point flywheel bolts, the repair manual specifies them as non-reusable parts. They also have a special torquing procedure similar to head bolts.

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3sgte
    Most of us are clear on this already, but it needs to be said.

There is no such thing (as stock) as a 7AG.
    For comparing overlaps of parts, we probably ought to stick to the source stock engines, not hybrids created from parts from different sources.

There is a 7A-FE, it has a crank with a different stroke than a 4A crank.
    The 7A-FE stock crank takes 6 bolts for the flywheel flange.

As for the bolts all being the same, I don't doubt that the dimensions are similar/same (assuming a comparison between all M/T equipped vehicles - A/T bolts are shorter).

However, there have been a few situations where people driving 4AGs have missed a shift and either broken or stretched the bolts. I wouldn't count on the metallurgy being the exact same for all of them.

On many of the newer vehicles with 12 point flywheel bolts, the repair manual specifies them as non-reusable parts. They also have a special torquing procedure similar to head bolts.
    Sorry, yeah I know 7AG is a hybrid, meant to type 7A. I was pointing out that apparantly 7A cranks take the same flywheel bolts (But also added in the TBC as this is 2nd hand information and I have not proved this myself).

The point of my exercise was for the benefit of those seeking to buy aftermarket parts (eg. ARP flywheel bolts) for a T series engine. We dont have a listing for these engines in Australia, (but Paradise Racing in the states lists them on their website), but if you order ARP bolts to suit a 4AG, they will work on a T series engine But yes, I probably should have specified more. Thanks for your input.
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Yay! I'm an Automotive Encyclopaedia Hydra's Avatar

MX73 and MA61 Lower control arms are interchangable.

Replaced my passenger side LCA today with a MX73 item

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by newbien
    another one for the AE86/70/71 TE72 boys

Tercel 17mm rear sway bar is a direct bolt on
    what year tercel?

no backyard Domestic Engineer japlish's Avatar

late 80's
    Destroyer of 'Drop Forged' spanners

That dude with the AE95's Backyard Mechanic Kebin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by broken_tofu
    what year tercel?
    1985 AL25 tercel

I just bolted one onto my ae71. although the tercel sway bar is roughly 10mm longer
    The original ae71 swaybar is only 12mm thick so it is a decent upgrade for the price. Cost me $30 for the bar from the local pick n pull and another $30-$60 for all new bushes for it

Forum Member

which body tercel?

it looks like this:

Off topic but i got that last photo from this website: http://www.tacn.nl/Meetings/Passau%2...reffen2005.htm

nice pics of some oldies

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

XA70 Supra, XZ20 Soarer and ST162 Celica all share the same door lock trim and retaining clips. Probly mentioned here before, but the front quarter indicators are also the same.

There's probably a whole lot of other common parts such as switches, electrics, trim pieces etc. I heard a rumor that the front seats are interchangeable using each car's original rails.

The Aberrational Chief Engine Builder Andrew162's Avatar

4WD Tercel - the "Clayton's" 4wd before the RAV was thought of.

Concept RAV4 from 1989 Tokyo Motor Show...

Clicky -> THEN: 1999 RAV4/GT-Four Hybrid
    Clicky -> NOW: 1985 ST162 Celica SX (Gen III 3S-GE) - Kitted & Resprayed

TRIKKE | Video

is firing on all eight. Carport Converter AndyTTR's Avatar

^ that's not interchangable, but it is a toyota oddity.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Awesome thread!

Ok so these are really simply and widely known mods between the TA2# and the RA2#.
    Thought first time owners could benefit from what common knowlege us long time owners have learnt over the years.

-All interior is interchangable, the Dash and centre console does take a bit of modification however.
    -The doors, boot, windows, window mechs, light mounts and those different shaped plastic vents on the rear sides are changeable. (Note the vents are linked with model and year)

-Simplest brake upgrade possible for TA2# celicas. Exchange your front strut assembly with that of a RA2# series. Brakes are bigger hence better. (leave the TA springs in the car) With RA springs the front end looks jacket up don't know if its possible to only change the risks and calipers. Not sure i changed the whole strut.

-Diffs are all interchangable between TA2# and RA2# series, Gearboxes are not

thats all the simple stuff i can think of for now. edited
    Last edited by Born-Enthusiast; 12-10-2007 at 06:06 PM.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

BE...
    Sorry, but you need a welder to exchange the dashes... they pretty much arent interchangeable as they have different mounting brackets behind them.

Front light brackets are not interchangeable, however rear lights are between the coupes... except the 71/72 flat tail light 22s, which again need mig welding to change (is possible, seen it done)

Swapping disks and callipers wont work between the TA and RA, as the callipers have a different bolt spacing.

Early TA22 diffs were D series (any of the early B pillar vent types) and the later TA/RA T series diffs are a good upgrade for them. The axles and centre from T series gen1 diffs will fit the D series gen1 diff housings.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.