Thread: 18rc into 3y ???????

70s Tragic Grease Monkey RA28tragic's Avatar

Default 18rc into 3y ???????

Hi I have a shitty old hilux ute with a very tired 3y. I also own two fat 28s into which I hope to install some latter model donks. That leaves me with 2 fairly strong 18RCs. How hard is it to install a18RC into my 85 hilux tilly. I have done a search of this forum and found little of interest.
    Living in the 70s

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: 18rc into 3y ???????

if the sumps suit, and the clutch hard/soft line is in the rightspot, then there's no reason not to except for the added weight that an 18RC gives you and the potential hassle of adjusting the mounts on the cross member. If you could score a 22RE it would make more sense (sort of) as you'd use less petrol and get more torque.

note: you'd need the bellhousing from the 18R as well. Am assuming the gearbox is a W50?
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

No belive it or not it's an auto. My brother gave me the ute. He bought it for one of his farm workers who only had one arm and the silly prick rolled it chasing rabbits across a paddock one night. I don't want to invest much time and money into it. Just thought I could use what I had to keep it going. I think it has burnt out a valve. Don't feel like giveing a 3y a head job if you know what i mean.
    Living in the 70s

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

then you'll want the whole thing - engine, bellhousing, gearbox and g/box cross member
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Eeeeeeooooooo! Sounds like I gotta pull te head off the 3y. Might just chuck a match in it.
    Living in the 70s

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Smile Re: 18rc into 3y ???????

Wouldn't think it is very hard, the manual box in a 3y hilux is a w52 and given toyotas intechangeability would almost bet the tailshaft and cross member would be the same. Note however the w52 is approx 50mm shorter in bellhousing and input shaft than a w50, but if it was me and I had the stuff lying around i would give it a go.
    p.s. I have the same problem with a very tired 3y Hilux, which I need to do something with one day

regards
    71 ta22 2tgeu,ke35 18rg, ke 35 3k auto,74 ta22 2tg,73 ta22 2t,80 ra40 18rgeu,92 kawasaki gtr1000,95 nj pajero, 2011 jeep patriot,2011 aricat jd495,1979 leyland motorhome (350chev),1995 Mitsubishi Delica
    Too many cars so little time

Thanx Snitch. Unfortunately all of the wreckers up here seem to be wholesaling their entire yards to SIMS metal. There are dozens on semis passing through Rocky every day loaded with late model crushed cars. Car yards in Queensland can't even sell a second hand car unregistered unless it is either on the Written Off Vehivcle Register or has a Road Worthy and a 3 month waranty. That means heaps of quality doer upers are just getting crushed. My son had a little ding in his 4runner and Sucorp wrote it off. I could have bought it back but because it was on the Written Off Vehicle Register I would never be able to get insurance again.
    Living in the 70s