Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3T GTE forged pistons?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 3T GTE forged pistons?

Quote Originally Posted by TA22 GT
    I find it odd that eagle quote $400 US a set whereas others quote them for around $320US, not sure how a second supplier cna be cheaper than the manufacturer?

Cheers,
    Simon
    Because the manufacturer will be selling at RRP. Largely so they dont undercut their retailers, otherwise it would be pointless having retailers.

The retailer will purchase the pistons from the supplier/manufacturer at a heavily reduced price. And then they work out retail sale price from there. They are not required to sell the product at RRP, this is only a guide.

I find this all the time.

cheers

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

ta22 gt - i was quoted $375 a set for the rods from paradise racing, if i knew someone over there i would get them to go see whats going on, i paid for them 14 months ago.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 3T-GTE's Avatar

Hey lilcrash,

Regarding the rods... have you heard anything at all back from Paradise Racing to confirm your order status? 14 months isn't acceptable in my book.

For those of you looking to upgrade rods, did you know of the stroker option that has been done with the 3T-GTE using forged Nissan VG30DE/TT rods? (By the way, you can also fit VG30DETT pistons too 87mm bore, 22mm pin diam )
    You need to offset grind the crank(reasonable offset + 5mm longer stroke), and I also believe the pin height is sits slightly higher, but it all clearances nicely & brings up the capacity to around 1970cc (and closer to square bore:stroke)

Just keen to hear if anyone else has tried / thinking of doing this?
    Cheers,
    3T-GTE

king & queen of cheese Domestic Engineer lilcrash's Avatar

he has said they were on the way about 12 months ago and a few times since.

edit: in no way am i trying to bad mouth paradise racing, i am just stating what i know.
    Looking for a new toy. If you have something 18r powered let me know.

RIP, where ever you are :- 1974 celica, 3tgte and 186.5hp at 6500rpm

I would like to be a Backyard Mechanic 3t-RA40's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilcrash
    edit: in no way am i trying to bad mouth paradise racing, i am just stating what i know.
    Mate, you have paid for them. Hound the shit out of them.
    If they are on their way ask for the couiers paperwork with the date on it. (it is possible they got lost)
    If still no result ask for your money back.
    Plenty of people can make rods for you.
    My ross pistons only took about 4-6 weeks from america.
    Cheers,
    Neil.
    RA40 3t-gte. Haltech fitted.
    Power - 229hp at 17psi
    Toyota Nationals 2013, Easter Long Weekend, Dubbo, NSW

http://www.toyota-nationals.org.au/

I would like to be a Backyard Mechanic 3t-RA40's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TA22 GT
    Neil,
    Any info is appreciated. Were the ones you bought a stock line or specially made? Got any pics of part numbers?

Cheers,
    Simon
    Mate couldn't find anything last night, I'll keep looking over the weekend, sorry.
    Cheers,
    Neil.
    RA40 3t-gte. Haltech fitted.
    Power - 229hp at 17psi
    Toyota Nationals 2013, Easter Long Weekend, Dubbo, NSW

http://www.toyota-nationals.org.au/

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3T-GTE
    Hey lilcrash,

Regarding the rods... have you heard anything at all back from Paradise Racing to confirm your order status? 14 months isn't acceptable in my book.

For those of you looking to upgrade rods, did you know of the stroker option that has been done with the 3T-GTE using forged Nissan VG30DE/TT rods? (By the way, you can also fit VG30DETT pistons too 87mm bore, 22mm pin diam )
    You need to offset grind the crank(reasonable offset + 5mm longer stroke), and I also believe the pin height is sits slightly higher, but it all clearances nicely & brings up the capacity to around 1970cc (and closer to square bore:stroke)

Just keen to hear if anyone else has tried / thinking of doing this?
    Cheers,
    3T-GTE
    3T GTE,
    I while ago I looked into increasing the stroke. Ideally I wanted to get to the same stroke as the 4T GT, or ideally find a 4T crank. But as you know, this engine was for racing and is literally impossible to find parts for.
    +5mm sounds like an expensive job and given 200rwkw is achievable using the stock crank I don't think I could justify the effort and money.

Cheers,
    Simon

Junior Member Domestic Engineer TA22 GT's Avatar

Forgot to add that the 4T GT had 84mm stroke (compared to 78mm for the 3T GTE), 89mm bore (compared to 85mm) which works out at 2090cc.

It all sounds great, but would be a very expensive engine to duplicate.

Do you know of someone that has tried this?

Cheers,
    Simon

Write English! Grease Monkey GasedT18's Avatar

Hi all,

A few questions.

3T-C modding is more common in the US and 3T-C forged pistons are readily available. The difference I've read is that 3T-GTE pin is closer to the crown but how much so - does anyone know?

I expect the pin centre to crown height is measured to the edge which would come close to the deck height? Does anyone know or can measure the crown thickness on their forgies? Has anyone had 3T-C piston crowns machined down? Are the valve reliefs the same radius between 3T-G & 3T-C, sure the 3T-C reliefs will need to be made a bit deeper? It sounds a bit dodgy, however the forgies are built for pressures that I'm unlikely ever to achieve. It may come down to cost but I wouldn't have thought shaving a bit off the crown and deepening the valve reliefs wouldn't take very long - especially for a machine shop set up for piston work. I guess that in the days I had access to a lathe and mill it would take me say three hours. So it may be a cost effective option.

I've yet to hear a negative report about any of the brands of forged pistons people on this forum have bought so I expect there's no reason not to go for the cheapest.

Secondly, I'm going to show some ignorance here but are bushes/bearings used between the pin and the piston?

Thirdly, I haven't seen after market rods with oil squirters for 3T-* and would have thought there would be some benefit to be had. Rods I've seen with squirters have a raised radius of steel around the hole. Would a careful drilling, polishing out, chamfering and heat stress relieving be an option - I wouldn't have thought the hole would need to be more than 1 - 1.5mm
    T-18 SE series 2 1982 3T-C dual fuel, now under resto
    3T-GTE rebuild with fancy gas bits under consideration
    AE71 CSX 1984 auto
    Parts Wanted ASAP - See Parts Wanted

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by GasedT18 View Post
    Hi all,

A few questions.

3T-C modding is more common in the US and 3T-C forged pistons are readily available. The difference I've read is that 3T-GTE pin is closer to the crown but how much so - does anyone know?

I expect the pin centre to crown height is measured to the edge which would come close to the deck height? Does anyone know or can measure the crown thickness on their forgies? Has anyone had 3T-C piston crowns machined down? Are the valve reliefs the same radius between 3T-G & 3T-C, sure the 3T-C reliefs will need to be made a bit deeper? It sounds a bit dodgy, however the forgies are built for pressures that I'm unlikely ever to achieve. It may come down to cost but I wouldn't have thought shaving a bit off the crown and deepening the valve reliefs wouldn't take very long - especially for a machine shop set up for piston work. I guess that in the days I had access to a lathe and mill it would take me say three hours. So it may be a cost effective option.

I've yet to hear a negative report about any of the brands of forged pistons people on this forum have bought so I expect there's no reason not to go for the cheapest.

Secondly, I'm going to show some ignorance here but are bushes/bearings used between the pin and the piston?

Thirdly, I haven't seen after market rods with oil squirters for 3T-* and would have thought there would be some benefit to be had. Rods I've seen with squirters have a raised radius of steel around the hole. Would a careful drilling, polishing out, chamfering and heat stress relieving be an option - I wouldn't have thought the hole would need to be more than 1 - 1.5mm

Hey, Gased

Did you ever get any answers?