Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: information on 1GGTE into RA23, hilux,crown,carona pug brake upgrade, hilux diff.

backyard mechanic Grease Monkey celica77's Avatar

Lightbulb information on 1GGTE into RA23, hilux,crown,carona pug brake upgrade, hilux diff.

Hey guys i have a 1977 RA23 celica and over the last 3 or so years have gone through some massive modifications and learning curves. while ive been going through it i found it rather difficult to find some in depth information on the typical modifications and chased info all over the place. so i thought i would be nice and put up what ive found out for anyones benifit.
    i have done the hilux differential upgrade, hilux,crown,pug carona front brakes and a gen 3 1ggte engine, so like i said ill put down what i know and if you need to know anything else just ask, i have alot of pics and yeah will do my best to help.

For the differential upgrade (hilux) there is alot of talk about using a RN27 hilux diff because there overall length is (the same) or extremely close to the original celica item with the benifit of the hilux strength. Not only are these diffs as rare as rockinghorse poo they are really really old. and im not sure if they are 4 or 5 stud. I opted to use a complete 1994 2WD hilux open centre diff with a ratio of 4.1:1 it works fanstastic. All i did was get a spare RA23 celica diff housing and took both the new hilux housing and the spare celica one to my local mod shop. They made up a jig and chopped the old moutning brackets and spring locators off the celica and welded them exactly in place on the new hilux diff. I have had this modification completly blue plated and has passed engineering inspections. from memory the diff is only approx 40mm longer in total length than the celica one and you cant even tell from looking at it except from the 5 stud pattern. I have attached some pics in a few posts below where you can see the diffrence and it on the car. with the big celica wheel flares you cant even tell its wider and if anything makes the arse end look more normal. using this diff is also excelent if you wish to go 5 stud pattern all round as it mates up perfectly to the Crowns MS65 hubs (same stud pattern)

now ill tell you some information on the front brake upgrade.
    the typical set up u reaserch on the net tells you to use CARONA XT130 or RT132 struts, turned down PEUGOT 604 rotors (vented) and HILUX LN106 quad piston calipers. This is all very good but while i was looking the information was all extremely bland and not really in depth. so this is what ive come up with.
    i have attached a picture of the full assembly working and on my car and all engineered and blue plated so it DOES WORK.. the only thing they neglected to tell me on the net is all your wheel bearings are now wackko and do not work using these items. so ive gone to the troubble of reaserching bearings that will work and DO work and here they are and there codes.. Also watch out on the crown front hub your wheels clear the hub centre as they may not, and may need simple machining. Depends on what wheels your running.
    here are the codes and information on the wheel bearings you will need to use.

"HOLDEN BEARINGS both big and little..
    codes LM11949/10
    LM67048/10

FORD CUPS both big and little
    codes L68111
    LM12711

Remember you will need two of each.... "

OK now on to the 1GGTE Engine mounts into the RA23. If your feeling skilled and up to it you can cut and weld and make your own mounts and modify your crossmember etc but if u ask me massive long waste of time knowing what i do now!!!! a guy told me on a celica cruise to use NATURALLY ASPERATED 1GGE engine mounts.. they are completly diffrent to the ones you will have on your turbo version. so ring up your local engine importer and grab some 1gge engine. all you need to do is chop the centre brace out of them and bend/persuade them abit to mate up square to the block hole positions. once you have cut out the brace this allows you to use the FORWARD engine mount positions on the 1ggte and clear all the oil pipes etc. When you put this into the RA23 we worked it out to have about 40mm of the firewall and believe it or not it simply bolts up exactly to the crossmember mounts ill do my best to put a pic up soon as im just finishing this process now but have had the engine jerry rigged in and i vow it fits and bolts up no worries. and this way you save SO MUCH TIME not welding and using wierd custom mounts. this information is NOWHERE on the net so i thought i wouldnt be a prick and keep it to myself. hope this information helps alot of people.
    andy

anything else u need to know ask me..
    Last edited by celica77; 21-03-2007 at 01:54 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Spectre's Avatar

Default Re: 1ggte info into ra23, pug hilix carona brakes info just ask

Which hilux rear end did you use? (model and year)

hey not sure on the model. but it is a 1994 2wd open centre hilux diff.. the ratio is 4.1:1 i got a spare ra23 diff housing and took both to my local workshop place and he choped the mounting brackets off the spare celica housing and made up a jig to weld them in place on the hilux diff.. i can put up some pics later.. The diff is wider than the original item but seriously not all the much and mine looks absouloutly normal when u look at it. dosnt ever come close to sticking out past the guards. the only give away is the 5 stud pattern... anyway ill try post some pics up later. if u go down this path make sure you get all the handbrake assembly stuff of the hilux as it comes in handy u will need it it gets expensive with all the jig work needed and labour but its reasuring ive got a bloody strong rear end.....

So you didn't shorten yours at all? Will it pass engineering with the increase in track or will the right ofset wheels correct this?

I was going to go a RN27 hilux rear, which is the same width as standard, put its proving incredibly hard to find. The 5 stud rear is what I want anyway, as ive already got the MS65 front hubs to change to 5 stud up front.

Some photos would be great.

nope didnt shorten it one bit and passed engineering inspection and it is all blue plated.
    trust me you cannot even tell that it is wider when you look at it. i suppose it depends also on the wheels you select and there offset but trust me un-noticable. yeah i too used the crown ms65 front hubs.. with that brake combo you will come across wheel bearing issues i have it written down somewhere ill try dig them up for you. i worte down the bearings to use and there codes.
    try get photos up soon
    andy

here is a pic of the size diffrence..

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic kugzs's Avatar

can you do it from front on so we can actually see the difference
    (bit hard with the angle)
    Got good condition 23/28 bonnet hinges? pm me

these bearings?

"HOLDEN BEARINGS both big and little..
    codes LM11949/10
    LM67048/10

codes L68111
    LM12711

(From Andy RA23 on ozcelica which I think is actually you?!)

Also, what did you end up doing with the tail shaft? As you mentioned having to get it shortened?

Talking Re: 1ggte info into ra23, pug hilix carona brakes info just ask

crap u guys are fast at replying haha , yeah i am andyra23 on OZ CELICA
    so you found the info for me thanks man haha..

HOLDEN BEARINGS both big and little..
    codes LM11949/10
    LM67048/10

codes L68111
    LM12711

umm i cant find a pic of the diffs lined up front on. but i have attached a pic of the car with it fully fitted up so you can see that it really dosnt look out of place at all. from memory the hilux diff was 40mm longer (hardly noticable) in overall length that the original celica item espscially with the big wheel flares on the ra23..
    ive also put a photo up of the front brake assembly with everything.

sorry missed a question, in regards to the tailshaft. yes if you fit the hilux diff the tailshaft will need to be shortend. i dont know if you are using 18rc/rg or 1ggte. but in both cases yes will need to be shortend. not hard at all. i took mine to a place called petron automotive in slacks creek and they did it. u tell em the mesurment and they do it all. the cutting welding whatever flange u need etc. for about $200.. i have to get mine done again as i did it with a 18rc and fitting the 1ggte with gearbox will change it again. im not gonna run a centre bearing this time and go to 1 piece.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: information on 1GGTE into RA23, hilux,crown,carona pug brake upgrade, hilux diff.

got a question for those using MS65 hubs. is the bolt pattern that must be drilled on the pug rotors the same on the ms65 as the xt130 hubs? Cos if i later do a hilux rear end and have 5 studs wud i need to get my rotors redrilled to suit the ms65 hubs to make the fronts 5 stud?

Default Re: information on 1GGTE into RA23, hilux,crown,carona pug brake upgrade, hilux diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_ra23
    got a question for those using MS65 hubs. is the bolt pattern that must be drilled on the pug rotors the same on the ms65 as the xt130 hubs? Cos if i later do a hilux rear end and have 5 studs wud i need to get my rotors redrilled to suit the ms65 hubs to make the fronts 5 stud?
    You need to get the Pug rotors redrilled to make then 5 x 114.3. This is done by keeping one hole original and drilling four new holes. The machine shop that turns your rotors down should be able to do this for you at the same time.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    You need to get the Pug rotors redrilled to make then 5 x 114.3. This is done by keeping one hole original and drilling four new holes. The machine shop that turns your rotors down should be able to do this for you at the same time.
    arghh so if i first redrill them to fit the xt130 hubs (as i wont be doing hilux rear end straight away) and later decide to go five stud i'll have many holes in my rotors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hash_ra23
    arghh so if i first redrill them to fit the xt130 hubs (as i wont be doing hilux rear end straight away) and later decide to go five stud i'll have many holes in my rotors.
    You dont need to get the pug rotors drilled to fit the xt130 hubs, you just need to get the original pug holes drilled out by something like 1mm to fit on the corona strut.

Later on you can then get them redrilled to suit the 5 stud MS65 hubs