Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: information on 1GGTE into RA23, hilux,crown,carona pug brake upgrade, hilux diff.

backyard mechanic Grease Monkey celica77's Avatar

Default Re: information on 1GGTE into RA23, hilux,crown,carona pug brake upgrade, hilux diff.

dunno about retaining the 4 stud pattern with the peugot rotor and carona strut, but yes you definatly need to re-drill the peugot rotor when using the ms65 crown hub. from memory u slot one hole and redrill 4 more. you can do this by using a centre drill with the right diameter. get this from an engineering supply shop, not bunnings etc HAHA. if u have a pedestal drill easy job, thats what we did. like i said not sure if the drilling out 1mm works if u wanna keep 4 stud pattern. p.s goodluck finding crown ms65 front hubs, rare as rockinghorse poo.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Default Re: information on 1GGTE into RA23, hilux,crown,carona pug brake upgrade, hilux diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    You dont need to get the pug rotors drilled to fit the xt130 hubs, you just need to get the original pug holes drilled out by something like 1mm to fit on the corona strut.

Later on you can then get them redrilled to suit the 5 stud MS65 hubs
    Oversizing the factory PUG holes is VERY DODGY. The rotor will move on the studs and not only sound annoying but be DODGY !! Undrilled PUG rotors are easily purchased and you can have the 4 x 114.3 and the 5 x 114.3 stud patterns easily drilled.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia Spectre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    Oversizing the factory PUG holes is VERY DODGY. The rotor will move on the studs and not only sound annoying but be DODGY !! Undrilled PUG rotors are easily purchased and you can have the 4 x 114.3 and the 5 x 114.3 stud patterns easily drilled.
    Please tell me where to obtain these undrilled Pug rotor's?!

Ok from what ive read, I havn't seen anyone able to get hold of blank Pug rotors?

There seems to be two ways to put the pug rotors on:

You also need to gain clearance for the mounting holes. They are out by about 1.2mm. Methods of doing this vary, you can either drill out your holes by 1mm OD and then file slightly, or you can simply file only. The arguement about slotting vs enlarging continues on and probably wont stop for a while. FWIW the discs on the IP car are enlarged, and i have made a couple of sets up slotted. No difference in them in my humble opinion.
    OR

The Pug rotor's holes are drilled to a different PCD than the corona rotor. And I was worried about upseting the balance of the rotor by offset drilling or enlarging the holes unnecessarily.
    So, I took it to a machinist who drilled 4 new holes, exact size, 45 degrees around from the existing ones, that exactly match the hat, as it was centred over the rotor.
    Personally to the later, if you want 4 stud, drill 4 stud, if you want 5, drill 5 stud!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

yes i was goint to drill 4 new holes 45degree offset as i have standard rear atm. just thinking about it as i mite go a hilux rear end in the future which wud require a 5stud conversion up front, which would mean having lots of holes drilled into my rotors.

i think i'll just get them redrillled to 4 stud and figure something else out for the rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectre
    Please tell me where to obtain these undrilled Pug rotor's?!
    Spectre, ANY decent brake place should be able to order them for you from DBA. Just put a U on the end of the part number Toymods even did a group buy of them back when it was "new" conversion.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    Spectre, ANY decent brake place should be able to order them for you from DBA. Just put a U on the end of the part number Toymods even did a group buy of them back when it was "new" conversion.
    From what I read andbeen told, DBA no longer make them, and RDA don't get them in? If they are available in an Undrilled format, why does everyone seem to get ones that are already drilled?

I could have sworn I read somewhere that these were unavailable in undrilled, though I may be wrong! I shall ring a few brake places here in WA and see what I can find.

Bryce

Bryce I will make a call for you on Monday and let you know.

Part number from Memory is DB272SLU and DBA272SLU I'll check my sapre set when I get the chance.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Hey Rod, O/T I know, but does what youre saying count for all DBA rotors, for example the 300zx items we MA61 owners love so much?
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Matt,

All locally made DBA rotors can be ordered as unslotted.

The DB272 Pug rotors are no longer made in Australia but are imported hence why they are no longer available They are checking for old stock for me.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Sorry, I meant undrilled, not unslotted
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Doh, So did I lol
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Junior Member Carport Converter TA-022's Avatar

nice info 77.

1GGE mounts has been known for a while tho .. many on here have done it that way.

i seem to recall MS65 hubs still were 4 stud to attch the disc to the hub???
    Black Betty >HERE!<

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Long Time Reader Backyard Mechanic willwal98's Avatar

Actually I used the steel brackets and the 18r urethane mounts and it worked perfectly. I also had no bearing issues with the hilux / pug conversion.

I do have some questions for you about the diff upgrade aswell, did you need to make any modifications to the tailshaft (I assume you have the stock 2 piece) and what did you do for the rear brakes, handbrake cables and bias adjustment?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see that the tailshaft question had already been asked. Do you remember by how much you had to shorten it? A quick measurement the other day suggested 15-20mm going by the extra lenght in the snout. Is it better to have the diff mounted first or is snout measurement enough.
    Last edited by willwal98; 27-03-2007 at 12:20 PM.
    Hello.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Hash_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TA-022
    i seem to recall MS65 hubs still were 4 stud to attch the disc to the hub???
    no they are 5stud to the disc too.

do ppl recommend enalrging or slotting, or drilling 4 new holes 45 degree to original ones when fitting the pug rotors onto xt130 hubs. i already have the drilled rotors so getting undrilled ones arent an option for me.