Thread: Turbocharging 1FZ-FE

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Turbocharging 1FZ-FE

Howdy

I have a 93 gxl cruiser with 4.5l 1FZ-FE motor. It is good but the motors power/torque is pretty modest for such a large vehicle. I want a bit of a power boost and turbo seems to be the best way to do it. I do lots of towing (my boats weigh 1.0 and 2.5t) and the weight is really noticeable.

I have considered dropping in a 5.7l gen3 Holden v8 (probably blasphemous to mention that here) as that is a relatively simple way to get a good power boost but not much improvement in low rev torque although there are simple ways to improve it dramatically.

I have tracked down a couple of kits for turbo/super chargers (eg CAPA) but there must be other options available. I have a couple of friends getting into the Tassie rice scene and they reckon a 'custom' turbo setup shouldnt cost too much if i carefully select the bits.

If anyone has advice, information, tips on bits to use or avoid or opinions i am interested to hear.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Turbocharging 1FZ-FE

different car, but the engine's the same.

Sean's experience seems to be that the motor will withstand a lot of boost before it grenades.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Default Re: Turbocharging 1FZ-FE

Go here dude

www.ih8mud.com

There are a few guys running low blow systems with the factory computer.

Have a search on there regarding turbos and 1FZ and ask some questions.

I can probably help with 1FZ mechanical questions (where to take oil feed, turbo size, head studs etc), whereas they have experience with existing ECU in the cruisers.

The biggest item to source/make is an exhaust manifold. There is one available I think-ask on the cruiser forum first.

As for the available kits-they are a bit over-priced if you are good with your hands.

Perhaps budget 4-5K for a turbo system, in and running. (with stuff done properly-less if you do it super budget-but it will not be so durable)

Cheers
    Sean
    [email protected], WSID, COMPAK ATTAK, MAY 2006