Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KE30 3k - Where to next?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: KE30 3k - Where to next?

Yeah, there's that too, which is why I would prefer to do it through the right channels. It doesnt worry too much me if the premium goes up, it's a hell of a lott cheaper than paying off a 911.
    Such a delicate balance, between power, RTA and insurance brokers...

Junior Member Grease Monkey smitty1's Avatar

You could always go for a 3t. Easy to find out of a T18, carby, torquey same mounts as a 2tg.

Cheers, Ian
    Cheers, Ian

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

5k will still need to be engineer certified as it is over 15% increase in capacity
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

4K doesn't need to be engineered
    but it is not a big step up..just a little step..
    5K, 7K, 2T, any other engine needs to be engineered to be legal.

to be honest, it hink you should just chuck in the manual box, and start from there. either tickle the 3K or get 4K block. they can definitely be fun.

are you part of the P-plate plan where you can have mods? if so, respect that and wait to do major mods until later.

Because with the RTA's rule that basically if it has a performance radiator cap, it's modified and evil, it just makes it that much harder starting out modding cars.
    you sound somewhat jaded before you even start
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    5k will still need to be engineer certified as it is over 15% increase in capacity
    On that note, I put the 2TG in my corolla after chatting with tech standards at the RTA and telling them that the TE37 had the 2TG fitted standard. They said yeah sounds great go for it.

Then I rocked up with my completed conversion and they said piss off and get an engineers certificate. After an exchange of words and being told the guy who said it was fine to do was not there as he was on holidays I did a skid and left.

$700 later the car was engineered and rego'd - lesson learnt = get anything from the RTA in writing if it sounds good.

The icing on the cake was after getting the certificate and going back to the RTA pits having one of the guys say "why did you get an engineers cert for this, it could have been owner certified..........."
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

i 8 a p00 Carport Converter rob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    4K doesn't need to be engineered
    precisely why ive scrapped my corolla SR idea and am looking for a 4K bottom end atm

g/f cant drive modified car yet

not to mention its such a simple and cheap way to still make a fun car
    - ma61 + 2jz-gte + v160 + 3.5 torsen

Yes I am of the generation that can't drive anything with engine modifications, turbochargers, superchargers, nitrous, anything 8 cylinders or over, and some performance sixes eg porsche, bmw.

Hence the VS commodore being the new "hero" rear-drive car of our P1 generation, in Griffith anyway.

If a 5k needs to be engineered, then it's no good as that means it's then officially modified and I can't drive it. By the time I have a full licence, I dare the say the current 3k will be long dead, so i am thinking, if it has to be replaced, why not something with a little more herbs. Rebuilding the 3k with a cam etc is also an option I guess.

But I will quote fellow corolla enthusiast of my town (possibly, the only one), who owns a rebuilt 3k:

"You get tired of a 3k when it's not raining and you've got tread on your tyres."

Lick my hairy Backyard Mechanic Turdinator's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A-to-B
    Also, on the difference between 2T and 2TG, correct me if I'm wrong.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...epho/eng2t.htm

The 2T engine is a pushrod, overhead valve engine with 4 inline cylinders.
    The block is cast iron and the cylinder head is alloy.
    All versions of the 2T can use unleaded petrol because all alloy heads have hardened valve seats.
    Gaskets can be shared between all versions (twincam can use gasket goop for timing cover).
    Inlet and exhaust manifolds shared between all versions.
    A 2TG has twin overhead camshafts, alloy head and twin sidedraft carbs.
    I'm being pedantic but the 2TG intake manifold is not interchangeable with the stocker 2T but the exhaust is.

That aside a 2TG would be awesome in a roller. I sold my mate my old 2T which he put in his g/fs KE55 and it made a huge difference! Part of that may have been the move from a 4spd to a 5spd but thats just another plus. But it was mainly the extra torque and power. And it was an easy install. Not exactly bolt in but close enough.

Is a Self Employed Grease Monkey wombat's Avatar

firstly thank god I'm wel past P plates and all this no mods on cars or limit on this or that.

but if you can technically mod your car why not stick with the 3k, but..... mod that.

eg change head for higher flow model, change crank to increase capacity (i believe a 4k crank goes in correct me if I'm wrong), new mild cam, twin carbs, or even (if you can find one) side draught carbs.

Oldcorollas knows all the interchangables, he's answered some of my questions before.

but the big positive with going this way is that in the eyes of the rta and such you still have that exact same engine number. which if RTA is the same as vicroads that is the big concern, if the engine number they had on the system is different they start asking questions, if it's the same it flys by.

just my thought.

although side note is that my ke-35 has a 2tg in it. kinda goes against my suggestion, but with out the whole no modded car thing on my full licence i have no issues.

I've just purchased a Ke30 parts car for $50. The interior and panels are no good, but the engine (I'm guessing 3k) has only 90,000kms (has lost compression). The diff is original and fine, and the front and rear springs are near new items, and thicker than normal.

I have yet to see the car, the old man brought it back yesterday and is sitting in a paddock at the moment. It's another four-door auto, so no hope of a manual box. Yet.

As I still need my current car to get to work, I'm thinking I can rebuild the parts car engine.

So the plan so far for the new engine after reading a few posts is thus:

Get the block crack tested.
    Replace the head gasket. (Assuming that is the cause of loss of compression)
    Camtech 621
    ACL Duralites?
    32/36 weber? http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/32_3.../22680.005.htm
    Single 2in exhaust or twin 1.75in
    4-1 extractors
    Pen this letter:

Dear RTA,
    I am the owner of a 1978 Toyota Corolla. My current engine in my car has broken down, and I am to replace it with a new engine. It is exactly the same engine as found in this model. I am merely letting you know as to confirm I am not a "WRX Ram-Raiding P-Plater", and that I am simply replacing my worn out engine and not adding a larger or forced induction engine.

Your adoring fan,

Jock
    Last edited by A-to-B; 21-04-2007 at 11:08 AM.
    "You get tired of a 3K when it's not raining and there's tread on the tyres..."

Building Corollas Chief Engine Builder Cuzzo's Avatar

Are u sure its even done 90,000kms.. its prob been round twice or more times.
    KE30 4agte - Bullet - Rick Rolled
    UZX83 1UZ W58- Cruiser - Tow Car - Fun Car
    Quote Originally Posted by -GT- View Post
    You had an oil and plastics engine bay fire, with flames that reached at least to the roof - of course shit got hot, it wasn't burning jiffy firelighters back there.

Well I'm just going off what the old man said. I am yet to see the car and found it a little hard to believe. The engine may have done 90K, but for a 30 year old car it does seem unrealistic.
    "You get tired of a 3K when it's not raining and there's tread on the tyres..."