Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no oil pressure on cold start

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default no oil pressure on cold start

Hi, when I start the car from cold the oil idiot light stays on for probably up to 5sec, and the engine clatters alot until the pressure comes up. Does this mean the oil pump needs replacing, or is the engine very badly worn? Apart from that the engine runs fine, doesn't blow smoke or use any oil... When its warm the light goes off straight away.

I don't have a press guage so i don't know what the running pressure is. Someone said that the return valve in the filter may be stuck and the the pump has to fill the filter before it can make pressure. Does that sound feasable? The other theory could be the oil pickup is damaged/blocked...

oh yeah, the engine is a sr20det if that makes any difference...
    and obviously i've checked the oil level...

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: no oil pressure on cold start

genuine oil filter?

I would love to eat a... Domestic Engineer Sagluren's Avatar

try a engine flush next oil change, had a car in work (neglected car) and was doing the same, we couldent figure it out, so flush went in and new oil made it quiter, so two more flushes and oil changes and all sweet,

sam.
    Turbo flutter. : Its like a burp and a hiccup at the same time.

its amazing how much sludge can build up in there

4agte - its a non genuine filter, i'm planning to put a real one in this weekend.

sagluren - how did you go about flushing the engine. Do you just buy some cheap oil and do 2 or three oil changes running the engine each time? then put real oil back in?

ummm at work we have a drum of (engine flush) i think it is basically deisel fuel. you can buy engine flush at auto shops (super shit, autobarn, sprints, repco) i doubt you will need more than one bottle, pour it in the engine as oil and run the car untill at opperating temp. the flush mixes with the old oil and cleans the shit off the pick up, cylinder bores, blah blah. Drain oil and watch for lumps of shit with oil. change filter and replace oil. hopefully this fixes your problem.

sam.

thanks alot for that info, will flush it out this weekend.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I count an 'engine flush' as just another anecdotal/old wives tale that refuses to die. Even those that have killed engines by running them on kerosene/parafin/diesel fuel, will unbeliveably do it again!!!
    You've got a tired, old engine with worn parts - pump & crank & bearings. You MAY have a filter that doesn't have a drain-back valve. It's a little neoprene/rubber flap that you'll see directly behind alll those small holes that circle the filters threaded outlet. Almost ALL filters now have this.
    Unless it has contaminated oil, it is unnecessary at least and dangerous to the life of the engine at most. What gets loose will damage the pump IF it hasn't clogged its pickup screen before that.

Here's a link, and there must be hundreds more.

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/article.cfm/040206

Cute quote from the above...
    "If you do get a flush, I recommend you do it when you can afford to replace the engine or transmission."
    Last edited by allencr; 08-03-2007 at 02:58 AM.

"Flushing is the high pressure forcing of fluid back against the normal flow of the fluid."
    this not what i am refering to when i say "flush" what i am refering to is 500ml of liquid that is run with your engine in the oil. no external machines are used like when one would perform a transmission flush. The liquid is made by a reputable company and sold as engine flush. it is designed to disolve and dislodge sludge and various other parts of dirt in the oil system.
    so therefore your above argument would be in the wrong context, and completely irrevilant to this thread. thank you for your input anyhow.

sam.

sludge is very stubbourne stuff and is amazing how much of it will just sit in the bottom of the sump unwilling to move

I just changed the oil and filter and ran a bottle of cheap oil and engine flusher thru and the results were amazing. after running the new oil for about 15min I drained it out after only 15min of idling it had already turned into a hideous black syrup. Then I pulled the rocker cover off and honest to god it looks cleaner in there! Then i've put some good oil back in and i swear the engine is quieter and idles cleaner.
    So plus one for engine flushing from me!
    But at the end of the day, i'm still left with a fairly tired old sr20 that I don't think was serviced properly in japan. Ah well, thats the risk you run buying import motors...

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Step 1: throw out Nissan junk
    Step 2: insert Toyota masterpiece
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Profit!

Apart from that, normally I buy 2 bottles of oil when I do a change on a performance engine... one of cheaper brand stuff... if your running synthetic, use synthetic 'flushing' oil, if your using semi synthetic or mineral, you can get away with mineral flushing oil.
    Dump the old oil, leave the filter there, and insert flushing oil. Run around the block a couple of times, dump flushing oil, replace filter, insert new good oil. Doing this every change will keep your engine clean as a whistle inside, and you arent running thinned out oil through it at all.
    In saying that, if the engine has been mistreated by a previous owner, engine flush does wonders... just dont get into the habit of using it... get into the habit of regular changes and flushing with clean oil.

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

haha, yeah ur right about nissan junk, i used to have a 20v blacktop Ae82, and while obviously it wasn't as quick, it was a much better engine in almost every respect.

Incidently, the motor is in a e30 bmw, originally i was considering a 4agte or 3sgte, but decided the 4ag was too small displacement for the weight of the car, and the 3s was to much stuffing around to make rwd. Even so, the sr20 is a hell of a lot of fun!

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

1J.

end argument.

Elmo.

yeah i 1J would have been nice, and its been done before, but its not the easiest of conversions to do and to get passed engineering would have been a nightmare!