Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3SGTE Hard to start

GT-Four Pilot Backyard Mechanic SilverGhost's Avatar

Default 3SGTE Hard to start

Hi Guys,

As the title states I have a 185 gt4 with an essentially standard 2nd Gen 3SGTE that is hard to start.

Its hard to narrow down because its only if the car has been sitting there for a specific amount of time that it happens. For instance,

If the car has not been started for a couple days then it starts up perfect, within a second of engaging the starter. Also, if I have just driven the car and turned off the motor, then start it up again within a couple minutes its fine aswell.

Its just that period of time say between 15 minutes and 2 days that its hard to start. (motors cranks fine, but you need to crank it for a good 5 seconds before it fires up)

I have checked every sensor with a multimeter according to the toyota manual (thanks to Richard for hosting those in his sig! )
    I have confirmed 100% that my injectors arent leaking (was my first guess)
    My fuel pump is flowing fine
    Car drives perfectly otherwise

The only thing I can think of is that the problem started when I had the HG replaced by my mechanic. The battery was disconnected for several weeks while the work was carried out and my alarm hasnt functioned quite as it should since I can remember, so my theory is that the alarm might have lost its 'programming' during the time it was disconnected from the battery. Because it is a fairly sophisticated alarm (immobiliser, auto start etc) could it be that my immobiliser is interfering with the startup procedure?

I am at my wits end because the car suffers from no driveability issues, and I have followed the toyota manuals diagnostic procedure for a hard starting car to the letter basically ruling out all alternatives.

Im wondering if there is a straight forward way to disengage my immobiliser to take it out of the equation temporarily, im assuming its not straight forward as they design the bastards to be tamper proof.

Any help greatly appreciated!

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Default Re: 3SGTE Hard to start

If it starts, I doubt it's an immobiliser problem, however the fact that you say the alarm is now doing weird things in conjunction with the hard starting, screams out to me to take it to the alram supplier and/or auto electrician and ask to have it checked.

Carless Grease Monkey

DEFINATELY A BATTERY ISSUE. I replaced the battery on my car and now it purrs like a cat. And solved a lot of other problems .
    Actually when the battery is not charged for long it reduces its strength. And thus it might give you a kick start in the cold but when it is hot or just say 15 minutes it will be hard to start. Because of charge accumulation over a long time phenomena....
    Solve simple things first before jumping in to injectors and stuff.

has no Toyota anymore :( Conversion King tooch's Avatar

Cressida could be on the money there...I just replaced my battery and it solved a lot of starting issues, my car would occasionally do what you said here and take a good few seconds to fire, now with the new battery it fires after the first crank nearly every single time.

Welcome to the Darkside! Automotive Encyclopaedia -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

It'll be battery mate.

I replaced the dash with the SX dash with the volt gauge. And whenever i have issues, my battery is just below 12V (like 11v) But it causes havoc with everything in my car. I quick charge with the external charger and she fires straight up.

Also if you have an aftermarket ECU, and the battery compensation isn't set right, that will also cause some problems.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

check the mains leads coming of the battery as well, its a black plug i believe, checked mine other had was havin similiar issues and lead was very dirty and wat not cleaned it and runs perfect
    cheers

Welcome to the Darkside! Automotive Encyclopaedia -==L=a=N=c=E==-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jorrs
    check the mains leads coming of the battery as well, its a black plug i believe, checked mine other had was havin similiar issues and lead was very dirty and wat not cleaned it and runs perfect
    cheers

Now that you mention it, that was the other problem i had, was corroded terminals and leads. Clean them up and they worked fine. +rep for you.

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

cheers, well im of to big day out now :>:>:>
    have a good day everyone !!

Negative Reputation Domestic Engineer Howieau's Avatar

I also have a similar problem, where the car takes a good 5 seconds to kick over. Sometimes though, oddly, it will kick over straight away, that is when I leave it for about 24 days. I also smell a bit of fuel in the process of getting it to start, and when it does start.

Could this be my injectors leaking?
    If so, what sort of measures am I looking at in fixing it. Is it an expensive task?

Junior Member Grease Monkey cycleofabuse's Avatar

Yeah just clean the battery terminals, should fix it, or replace the battery.

Thanks for your replies guys. I will check all of these solutions out and post my progress.

The terminals are clean, i know that for a fact.

The only thing I dont understand, is if a multimeter tells me my battery is almost dead on 12v and it has enough boot to crank the motor at a normal speed in hot or cold conditions what would make it the cause?

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

I could be mistaken but i am pretty sure the gen2 3sgte has a cold start injector. You can see them in the front of the intake manifold (ie the rocker cover side) and it should have a clip with two wires in it and a pipe running down to the fuel rail. SV21 camrys had them and they always play up exactly as you have decribed.

Pull it out (plug, fuel line and 2 bolts) give the end a clean with petrol or carby cleaner and make sure the little pin in the end moves freely.

Toyota like to use them for some reason to send in extra fuel when starting on there older motors.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota RONA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Clint
    If it starts, I doubt it's an immobiliser problem, however the fact that you say the alarm is now doing weird things in conjunction with the hard starting, screams out to me to take it to the alram supplier and/or auto electrician and ask to have it checked.
    One of our old cars immobilisor use to let the car start and then it'd kick in after about 2 seconds and shut the engine down.
    If in doubt power out

My Cold Start injector was bought brand new from toyota less than 8 months ago, and I tested it for leaks and operation when I had the head off.

I think the best thing to do is bite the bullet and take it to an auto elec.

Does anyone know one in Sydney that knows there way around a gt4?

Forum Sponsor Grease Monkey

There is also a switch in the radiator pipe near the temp gauge sender, efi sensor etc which turns on the cold start injector. This played up on my camry as well, toyota call it a thermotime switch i think