Thread: Challenge of the Clubs

Default Challenge of the Clubs

This weekend (10-11th March) is the annual Challenge of the Clubs at Ballarat. A weekend of motorsport including motokhana, autocross and a rally event. Saturday night is the Rally in the forests surrounding. Some of the Top Victorian Teams will be competing in what is traditionally a warm up for the upcoming season. I'll be out there in my trustworthy Sprinter, not only is it a good event for established teams but also for beginneers as the cars do not need roll over protection in the Trail B section of the event which is timed to the minute. Come out for some spectating, event starts at Ballarat airport saturday night at approx 7.00pm. Sunday is the motokhana event in the morning and sunday evening is the autocross event. More information can be found at http://www.vicrally.com.au/repositor...Final_regs.pdf or supp regs if you would like to enter at http://www.vicrally.com.au/repositor...lenge_Regs.pdf

Breaker of all things aka Backyard Mechanic Chrisso's Avatar

Default Re: Challenge of the Clubs

Hey Gillie,

I'll be there. Unfortunately my car isn't ready so I won't be competing, but will be there with a Fiat 131 competing in all events. I'll look out for your sprinter. Wouldn't mind having a chat as I'm trying to get mine in shape for these kind of things.

Chris.
    AE86 4 shades of silver - The Lone Ranger's steed is on the road again!
    AE86 shell - waiting for a donor car from the auctions.

No worries Chris, i'll see you at the Start of the event, just come over to the car introduce yourself if you don't know who i am someone will point you in the right direction. See you there.
    Richard

Junior Member Domestic Engineer MRMOPARMAN's Avatar

bugger im going to miss it yet again.. been saying ill do it for years now!

where abouts have they been advertising it? so can 1 enter all 3 events? and do you need a navvy for the trail B?

where abouts have they been advertising it? so can 1 enter all 3 events? and do you need a navvy for the trail B?
    Its been advertised on http://www.vicrally.com.au through Nissan Car Club http://www.ncca.com.au. Club motorsport in this state seems to be a secret society with little information for spectators and competitiors useless your in the know, something i would like to change. You can enter one, two or all events over the weekend. Some places are still available (they maybe running into reserves on the rally though). You will need a navigator for the rally/trial but the route is fairly start forward and accurate measuring devices not needed.

Mad****** Grease Monkey FASTFOO's Avatar

WELL how did you go??????????

MATT.

I broke the axles at the base of the splines! D'oh. Never thought i had enough power to do that! Very Rough roads, kangaroos and a hell of a lot of dust! Had a good go at stage 5 check out the pic at http://www.ozrally.com.au but on the last stage after a rough section of road the car was just revving in the powder and pushing on the right hand side. I knew the axle was broken but where to stop, the road was as wide as the car. Lucky i had some drive to get 100m down the road to a hairpin junction then the right one snapped. Satisfied that it happened in this event rather then Spring 200. Damaged the LSD a bit but Stu reackons it can be saved. To top it off, waiting in the forest to be picked up i was sitting on a bank and went to lay down and got bit by a Bull Ant. He was killed about 10 times after that!!!!!

Mad****** Grease Monkey FASTFOO's Avatar

oh that sucks
    Maybe 4.8 diff makes lots of torque for the axels to cope with.
    On the up side your LSD must be F-N strong to break the other axel.
    MATT.

P.S. anyone want to buy brand new still in box 4.8 diff gears. LOL

torque = isn't that something you do a lot of after you break axles, couldn't have anything to do with a sprinter! I was impressed that it broke both but spining one wheel in powder (at the limiter of course!), as soon as you get a bit of grip its bound to happen. My 4.8 is undamaged thank (insert many expletives here) i'm almost sure i would of cried if i opened it up and it was in pieces. Lots of funky metal pieces inside the housing.

Breaker of all things aka Backyard Mechanic Chrisso's Avatar

Hey Gillie,

Sounds like you had a rough run. I assume you were car 2. I didn't get there till late and then proceeded to choke on dust for the next 5 hours. Are you going to be at the VRC event on 24 March?

Also, what are your views on suspension for the sprinter for these types of events? There's tons of talk about lowered suspension for track and road, but little for rally around here. I've been thinking of Pedders, standard travel, maybe slightly heavier than stock springs and standard height, or maybe an extra inch at the front. I figure I don't need to go out and spend a ton while I'm learning to drive in these events. The rest of the car is stock, so not going anywhere fast!

Cheers,
    Chris.
    AE86 4 shades of silver - The Lone Ranger's steed is on the road again!
    AE86 shell - waiting for a donor car from the auctions.