Thread: Getting 4agte conversion done... where in perth shall I go?

ditty man Grease Monkey

Default Getting 4agte conversion done... where in perth shall I go?

Hey guys,, I have 7 grand to spend and I am going to go for the 4agte conversion on the levin... but Im not going to attempt it myself, I will get somone else to do it ..and properly..
    is 7 grand a good budget? the rings need replacing on the motor as well... and who in perth would have done a conversion for the gze to the gte? cos I have read its a bit of work to do but i dont really want to attempt it on my own

Dan

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Getting 4agte conversion done... where in perth shall I go?

Hi, $7k sounds okay if you are planning to get a workshop to perform the conversion and re-ring the pistons, and associated parts involved with re-assembling the engine. Basics you need for a turbo conversion are smallport inlet manifold (not 100% necessary), turbo manifold, turbo and dump, oil and coolant lines, intercooler and associated piping, gaskets and clamps. It will run fine on the stock ecu, upto ~14psi. But obviously wont be optimal...... from a power perspective.

How do you know the engine needs re-ringing? Have you had it compression/leak down tested? If you havnt done already find out exactly what is wrong with it, this could reduce your costs considerably if it doesnt require a complete pull down.

A couple of options id try if I was in your shoes; Give Zacka at Cypher a call. Or give Adam at Adsport a call. Both are good blokes and will give you a better idea on pricing than i can.

good luck

Question for you. Does your engine suffer a power cut at 5500rpm? ie do you feel a slight retard at WOT when passing 5500 rpm?

ditty man Grease Monkey

yes it runs outa power then yes... which sucks at the drags because most of the time ur at high rpm which is main reason I want HKS cams... reason i beleive the rings are stuffed is because it goes through likea full sump of oil once every 3 weeks and blows blue smoke at startup in the morning and blows smoke when fanging

R.I.P. Pentamax Chief Engine Builder Adsport's Avatar

The problem with power dying off is an inherant fault with the DLI management motors, most of them do it.... i have a small greddy knock sensor device which dramatically reduces the effect, and you gain a lot more power above the 5500. ive done a fair bit of reading and your problem is not isolated, people all over the world experience this kind of thing with the 101 motors running on standard management. the HKS cams wotn fix this problem, about all that will is aftermarket management.. but i cant sort you out with some of those aswell.

if you want to email or PM me we can work out a quote for your bottom end situation, aswell as fitment to rwd. i have an AE71 myself, with a 4A motor converted from GZE to GTE , aswell as an AW11 mr2 with a modified GZE and the GTE is definately the way to go it is a lot more power easier.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Hi AdSport....

This is an interesting topic, as I'm also located in Perth, WA, and drive an MR2 AW11 NA. I've bee contemplating on 20V conversion or the 4agte conversion for quiet some time now, and I know that I could do the 20V conversion myself for adequately cheap. Could you please provide me with a quote on doing a 4agte conversion? The prefered setup would be a 4agze with SC removed and bolting up a GT25/28 2nd hand turbo. I would also be looking at Aftermarket ECU such as the Wolf3d Ver4, along with Water-to-air intercooler. Could you give me an estimate quote on this on this kind of conversion if you were to perform this... I do not have the skills to complete a Turbo Conversion?

Thanks
    MIKE.

R.I.P. Pentamax Chief Engine Builder Adsport's Avatar

from personal experience i would be swaying away from the Wolf management, they dont have a good reputation with 4A's.

i have a turbo manifold for the AW11 in my showroom at the moment with a T2 flange on it , but i can get more of them on demand. the manifold is worth $450 by itself.

the water to air intercooler cost is dependant on exactly what cooler core/water pump/heat exchanger you would prefer to run. I am personally using the liberty WTA setup complete on my own aw11 and it seems to work fairly well. these can be bought around hte place for about the $450 - 550 mark from various forums etc.

on top of those youre looking at oil lines, cooling lines, intercooler piping, water lines for the intercooler WTA system, exhaust fabrication, new inlet manifold with throttle body, turbo, clamps, hosing and other miscellaneous things. a lot of these things you can skimp on with odds and sods you have around or get donated which a lot of people tend to bring me which cut costs but make it difficult to estimate a genuine price for a complete conversion.

it may sound daunting but it is definately worth the money, and youd be able to either get it done in one go or pick stuff up cheap as it comes along (like the WTA systems)

most aftermarket ECU's go for around $1100+ install and tuning (we dont do any of this in house)

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

I'd also steer clear of the Wolf, not because I've heard anything particuarlly bad about them (at least, the new ones), but because there seems to be very few people in Perth who are keen to tune them, and have a good reputation. For a lower-end ECU I'd go with an EMS or possibly an Adaptronic. Water to air options are plentiful, check out the AW11 owners thread in 'general car talk', and be prepared for a few hours reading The other option is to take a cheap and cheerful core (like a GTi-R core) and have it tanked for water to air. This is cheap and effective. Wether you want the 20v or the SC/turbo motor is really a question of what you want in the car. If you want reliable, quick, and fun, I'd personally take the 20V, especially in the lighter NA shell. For power or drag, with the comprimise of more fuel, less reliability (on a modified engine), then the SC/turbo is the obvious choice. If you're going to spend big dollars on it, have a think about buying an import GZE, you'll get all the fruit, a bit of extra gear, and it's all factory-fitted and neat/reliable, and it might come out cheaper too.

Also look into a bit of suspention work (if you haven't already), it'll make the world of difference.

Have a good idea of what you want the car for, too. The end result comes down to the plan, before you start anything it's a great idea to lay out exactly what you want, what you need, and what you hope to acheive. Also great for the motivation

RM.

Quote Originally Posted by kassma
    Hi AdSport....

This is an interesting topic, as I'm also located in Perth, WA, and drive an MR2 AW11 NA. I've bee contemplating on 20V conversion or the 4agte conversion for quiet some time now, and I know that I could do the 20V conversion myself for adequately cheap. Could you please provide me with a quote on doing a 4agte conversion? The prefered setup would be a 4agze with SC removed and bolting up a GT25/28 2nd hand turbo. I would also be looking at Aftermarket ECU such as the Wolf3d Ver4, along with Water-to-air intercooler. Could you give me an estimate quote on this on this kind of conversion if you were to perform this... I do not have the skills to complete a Turbo Conversion?

Thanks
    MIKE.