Thread: jzz30/A340E speed sensor issue

HHeLiBeBCNOFNeNaMgAlSiPS Backyard Mechanic

Default jzz30/A340E speed sensor issue

Posting on behalf of a mate with a jzz30 - he has the auto box (A340E?), no traction control and is completely stock (stock wheels/tyre sizes etc).

Currently he intermittently gets a fault that lights up the transmission fault light in the dash. From what work he has done it appears either the rear speed sensor in trans is faulty or the wiring to it gets a bit intermittant (during hot weather and after a cash wash).

Apparently the jzz30's have two speed sensors - one at the front and one at the rear of the trans as part of the traction control system.

Firstly, does anyone know which of the two sensors is used for a speed signal to the dash? He just got pulled over for speeding at 121 km/h despite having the cruise control set at 108 km/h (max speed for the jap import car) - this happened whilst the trans light was in fault. Is it possible the faulty rear speed sensor is sending the wrong info to the dash (and thus cruise)?

Secondly does anyone know of a cheaper replacement for the speed sensor. Toyota want a shitload for a new one. I thought it was a simple reed switch arrangement so surely it must be used in other cars with similar trans.
    you know what I mean this electric stream
    and my tears in league with the
    wires and energy and my machine
    this is my beautiful dream

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Default Re: jzz30/A340E speed sensor issue

Neither of those are for the traction control, and neither are the dash input.

The sensor at the front of the gearbox is the oilpump speed, and the sensor at the rear of the box (passengers side) is the ecu speed input.

The traction control will work off the ABS sensors.

Now, I can only deal with my UZZ30 knowledge, which I would assume is identical to the JZZ30.

The speedo drive is at the rear of the box, but on the drivers side.
    I highly doubt this is out unless someone has played with the diff ratio or the speedo gear.
    Jaycar do a correction unit if you know how much out it is.

Has he run diagnostics? The OD light will flash telling you what is at fault.
    If he thinks its the rear gbox ecu input, then swap it with the one on the front of the box (they are the same), reset the ecu, go for a drive until the OD light comes on, and then check the diagnostics.
    If it still says its the rear sensor, then its most likely the wiring. Check continuity back to the ecu. One of my solenoid power wires was somehow damaged somewhere in the loom at one stage, and was throwing a solenoid error. Gave it 12v, and the error went away.
    If its now the front sensor, then its most likely the sensor.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

Toymods V8 Member Too Much Toyota CrUZida's Avatar

Oh, and you can test the sensor with any bit of metal and a multimeter.
    Yes, its a simple reluctance sensor.
    Peewee
    1985 MZ12 Soarer - 1UZ Powered
    2013 86 GTS

HHeLiBeBCNOFNeNaMgAlSiPS Backyard Mechanic

Thanks cruzsida - I thought it was odd that the speed sensors on the trans would be a part of the traction control - as they'd only tell if the trans was slipping.

I believe that he has run diagnostics and it flashed the code for rear speed sensor, but I'll ensure he checks.
    you know what I mean this electric stream
    and my tears in league with the
    wires and energy and my machine
    this is my beautiful dream