Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project YN57

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

Default Project YN57

So..

I went out the other day, looking at Hiluxes, seeing if I could find one suitable for what I was after...

I get home and I've got a MSN message from the guy who owned the defected YN57 that I was previously interested in buying, but the defect threw me and everyone I talked to off.

He basically said come and get it and it was mine... After having quite a few chats to the guys at work and posting in here when it first came up, most of them told me that it would only be worth it if I could get the entire car for cheap then it was worth it.
    I rang him, and offered him cash and I'd be there that night.

He agreed, so I set about finding a car trailer, and heading out there.

Sure, this wasnt the Hilux I was after, but at the price i got it for, I would still have the cash remaining that if the Hilux I was after came up, I could still buy it. Also, if getting the defect off was going to be too hard, I could easily recoupe my cash.

I headed out there towing the car trailer behind my poor HZ... We had to go out through the hills doing 70km/h in 3rd.. the poor thing just wouldn't go any faster.

We got out there, and he had the car running, and had moved it to make it easier to get it onto the car trailer.
    This was the first time I had heard the car running, and boy did that knock in the engine sound bad. Under revs it sounded even worse.. This was not a good start...

We lined the car up onto the car trailer and slowly started going up... The front wheels got as far as onto the trailer when something went crunch....
    The bellhousing was sitting so low, that it actually couldnt drive straight up the ramps.
    15 minutes and a couple of long pieces of timber later, and it was all sorted, tied in, and ready to head off.

Coming down the adelaide hills was worse then going up, about half way down cruising in 3rd, my brakes started to get very spongy.. I slowed down into second and took it very carefully from there, heading down the hill at 40km/h

Eventually we made it home, but it was 11pm and way to late to be playing in the dark, trying to get a hilux with a nasty tick off the back of the trailer.
    Next morning it came off the back of the trailer without to much of an issue. A few pavers helped out this time..

I stuck it under the carport.. and decided to bsaically leave it there until I had a mechanic look at and let me know if it was worth repairing or not.

That was my plan, but I got bored, and decided to remove the wooden tray that was on the back so I could get the original U-Bolts off it.

I cleaned a few other bits and pieces out, but left it there until this weekend..

The mechanic was organised for monday night, but he couldnt make it, tuesday he left work in a zombie like state and forgot about it.. wednesday, i had to work late, and noone else was home.. That was the day he came around...

I had already arranged a way in for him, and left the keys in the ignition, and had no way to tell if he had actually been around or not when I got home wednesday night..

I called around and saw him thrusday morning, and he wasnt all the concerned about the engine making noise, and told me it was probably going to be worth getting it through to get the defect removed so long as I could source what I needed to cheaply, and it came off first go.

I got started the way every man should, by ripping the thing apart to see how it all ticked!

I left the engine for now, that can wait till later..

but I got started on the rest.
    I initailly removed the front end, and found out that the front bumper on the car was acutally from a 88-97 series hilux, just with brackets modded to fit. If this was going to be used as parts, things were looking good already.. That much for a chrome front bar, 17" mags with 2 good tyres and 2 average, and a set of rear air bags with notch and laser cut brackets.

I then removed the front guards, as ill stick the 2 wheel drive ones on when I go for rego as not to draw to much attention to the car.

After that my next thought was to get the car back to standard height.
    This is how it was before I started.

It was low enough that there is scrape marks on the inner guard where the tyre must have hit when going over bumps.. No wonder it got defect for being too low.
    I was originally going to turn the spindles back over, but I tried that, and nothing wanted to work for me. so I went looking for the Torsion Bar adjustment.
    As I had never done anything like this before, I took a guess and loosened the nuts i could see and started winding... this was fine until after about 5 minutes I noticed that nothing was moving anywhere... I then realised that you have to hold the nut on top, and then wind.. I tried again, this time with much more sucess. I wound the thing up as far as it would go hoping that it would be high enough for when I went into Transport SA to get them to look.
    This is how it was looking after I had removed the lowering blocks and raised the torsion bar on both sides..

At this stage I was thinking its just about ready to go 4 wheel driving in its sitting that high..
    The lowering blocks were a little scary.. I think I'll need some new ones before I lower it again.

Next step was the steering wheel, and to check a few other things like the bolts in the seats, etc. Transport places dont tend to like seats missing bolts..
    I removed the 3 bolts holding in the seats, and emptied the car of everything else.
    The carpet was in excellent condition underneath. another plus!

I removed the carpet to find that horrible black sound deadner everywhere, alot of it still sticky.. If anyone has any ideas on removing that stuff quickly and easily please let me know..
    There didnt appear to be many traces of rust though, and it looked clean and tidy.
    I then started on the dash, to see if I could find where some of the random wires were heading, and why the car wouldnt try to lock with the remote.
    I looked into the keyless entry and remote start system, in order to see if there was anything I could do to either remove it, or to tidy it all up, but it was a mess under there, and really I didnt have to touch anything except the wiring that went to all the doors.
    While under there though, I found a blown fuse in the remote system.. I replaced it and WALA! locking doors... that was an easy repair!...
    I reconnected up all doors, and made sure they all worked.. (the back ones had been connected backwards! i had to do the wiring the wrong way but they work)
    I decided to check the seats while I had no carpet in the car, and see how the holes line up.. Are you sure that those seats are from a civic Peter? All 4 holes came very close to being lined up, all it will need is a bit of a lever and it will be fine.

The rear bench seat is in beautiful condition, not sure if its been recovered or not, and I dont really mind.

I started running all the cables for the central locking all through the doors, instead of at the way it was where he just had them tucked behind the door skin. I decided to run some speaker cable while I was at it.

So now its at the point where theres no interior in the car, but its all ready to go back in for now, the car is back an a normal height, and all I need to get the engine sorted, get a stock steering wheel, and some stock wheels, and a Alum. tray, then I will take it into Transport SA to try and get the defect off.

Anyone have any ideas on what they think about shaved doors? I might have to get some rear doors on a loaner if someone has them handy that I can borrow in SA.

I plan to get started on a VP V6 Manual conversion shortly, but I need the defect off first..
    More to come as things go.

In the meantime, I'm still looking for an RN85R or RN90R

Well thats a huge long post for a start, now I need to go to bed, Im working tomorrow, and I'm about stuffed...
    (This may be in the wrong forum! Sorry! )
    Thanks

Andrew
    Last edited by Herus; 13-10-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

Default Re: Project YN57

take my advice - do not throw away the sound deadener - yn57s are noisy little fuckers without it!@
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Its not the nice stuff thats used as underlay, its that underbody spray on stuff thats sticky, thick, and needs stuff thats extremely strong to remove...

http://www.septone.com.au/detail.asp...219&page_num=3

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

i love my YN57

What engine you running SL?

Its ok i found it..

Andrew
    Last edited by Herus; 03-03-2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: found it.
    Member's ride thread!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Well Andrew,

So it looks like it might work out after all

Now for the long days and sleepless nights, and empty pockets for a while.

Well done, and make sure you keep us enlightened with your progress, with lots of photos.

Cheers,

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Thanks Peter,

This car is still only going to be a "quick" project though...

If i get it running nicely with a 3Y it may end up staying that way if i happen to find the actual car that im after.

We shall see though, its great having a car to work on again though. I havent had for a few years now, and its a great feeling...
    Until you get down to sanding... I HATE Sanding!

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Herus
    Thanks Peter,

This car is still only going to be a "quick" project though...

Andrew
    Who's the little cutie in the first photo, bottom left? Helper?

Cheers,

Peter

Thats Lolly,

She's my fiancee's dog..

She likes to run around, lick my face, and generally get in my way.

Just got home from working, so Ive got half a day to put the Lux back together..

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

if your aim isnt going fast, buy a brand new crate motor for $1200 and bolt it in...
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Seriously?

Wheres the fun in that?

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

So i was basically putting everything back again today, when i came across 2 wires that had been spliced into somewhere in the ignition, and had "fuse" written on a joiner in the middle. These had no fuse in them . These then went into my alarm/remote start/ central locking box.

The 2 wires were spliced into the following.

Green with black stripe and a red mark every 5cms or so, and green with a yellow stripe and red mark every 5cms or so.

What exactly do these 2 wires do?

They hadnt been cut, just wired into, then into the box with no fuses..

If anyone knows what they are for let me know.

Thanks

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

WooHoo!!

I managed to buy a RN85R today for $2800, still got to pick the car up, waiting on cash to go through...

Any way.. I have a query..

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    1984-1988 - 2.4 L (2366 cc) 22R SOHC I4, 96 hp (72 kW) at 4800 rpm and 129 ft·lbf (174 N·m) at 2800 rpm
    This means that the YN57 came out with a 22R engine in the states right?

So if I fit the 22R to my YN57 do I have to get it engineered?

Im new to all this engineering stuff so yer..

Thanks

Andrew

PS. Anyone know what those wires do?
    Member's ride thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Herus
    WooHoo!!

I managed to buy a RN85R today for $2800, still got to pick the car up, waiting on cash to go through...

Any way.. I have a query..

This means that the YN57 came out with a 22R engine in the states right?

So if I fit the 22R to my YN57 do I have to get it engineered?

Im new to all this engineering stuff so yer..

Thanks

Andrew

PS. Anyone know what those wires do?
    Well done dude. You got Hilux's coming out off your $$$$.

Probably not re: engineering. It's a direct swap. Like my Honda SOHC to JDM DOHC. Just a blue slip and away you go.

Pics please ASAP!

cheers,

Peter

Whats a Blue slip?

Not to sure if we have those over here.

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!