Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project YN57

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

Default Re: Project YN57

Well i went out and got my headlights, indicators, and a few other bits and pieces of the guy i brought the hilux from today.. Then i went and got a replacement globe, and got stuck into fitting them all.

I stuck the headlights that i just grabbed into the RN85R as they are the crystal type, and suit the rest of the car better..

the old headlights then went into the YN57.
    I fitted them, and the 2 indicators, but found i was going to need some parker globes, as I didnt have any.. That could wait for another day.
    I also got a couple of windscreen sprayers, as the holes in the ones i had, had merged into 1 hole... They still dont work very well due to the lack of battery power.. Still need to get a new battery.

Yesterday i spent most of my time working on the "tray". Regency had told me that so long as it covered everything, they didnt care what it was made out of, or how it looked.. It needed to have mudguards if there wasnt already some over the wheels.

I also needed to hook up some rear lights, and make sure everything else back there was working.

I started with 2 pieces of scrap galv from hills, at a cost of $6, then added a few pieces or timber at again a cost of $6. Then i cut them to length, and bolted them on using the original bolt holes.

The timber went longways for me to sit the top on, and the last piece of timber was used for the lights and where the number plate would be.

I attached them all up, then got stuck into the painful task of wiring it all up, as the only cabling i had was from the trailer plug.
    This got chucked, and everything rewired, hopefully to the satisfaction of regency...
    That took me most of the day, and i still didnt have a top. I decided to leave that for now, and work on a few other bits and pieces in the meantime.

this is what it looks like at the moment.

I then figured it was time i tidied up a bit... I dont have as much room as id like, and it was starting to feel cramped!

As for my previous question about the filler cap, anyone got any ideas? Currently it sits behind the main cab, infront of the wheel arch, but im not to sure on this.

32 days to go..

Thanks

Andrew
    Last edited by Herus; 03-04-2007 at 12:09 PM.
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herus
    As for my previous question about the filler cap, anyone got any ideas? Currently it sits behind the main cab, infront of the wheel arch, but im not to sure on this.

Andrew
    It appears that the person who modified the fuel filler welded over/filled in the standard fuel filler opening in the side of the cab Andrew. He then re-routed the fuel filler tubing to the outside rear of the cab by swivelling it backwards.

The fuel filler area consists of an opening, a flap-style door that you just pull open, and a fuel filler neck attached to the inside of the opening with three small screws. There is also a smaller tube that serves as the breather pipe and it attaches just near the top of the fuel neck. I see in your photo it is still attached.

Here are some photos from my RN85R:

Location of fuel filler door:

Inside:

Underneath showing fuel filler tube and breather pipe.

Top where it joins behind the opening:

I really don't know what you can do but your options probably are limited to making an attachment plate for the filler neck to go on and mounting that to the back of the cab. don't know how the authorities would look on that; you'd have to ask them I suppose.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

I understand that Peter, was wondering if anyone knew the regulations on having an unsecured fuel filler pipe, and if it was legal or not..

I swear form memory that Tray back fords just have the filler sitting there, but ill have to look into that soon.

Thanks

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

My 2c - I'd secure it
    2 reasons ;

1. If the filler pipe is welded to the tank it will fatigue with vibration and break. This = bad
    2. More than likely the pipe will end and be joined to the tank with a rubber sleeve ; this alone will not be enough to secure it/support it.

I don't know the rules but try ringing your local registration folks (you're in SA so I guess thats regency) and ask dude.

I'd create a piece to weld to the cabin then weld to the rear guard and mount it securely.

Grega,

I was actually thinking about doing exactly that on the way home this evening...

If only i had access to a welder.. lol

Ill look into it and see what i can do.

Thanks!

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Andrew, can you get behind the panels and use nuts and bolts OR maybe even rivet the panel in place?

Could easily Rivet it..

But......

I rang Transport SA this morning, and so long as its behind something where its not going to be hit by anything, they dont mind that its sitting loose...

Sounds a bit dodgy to me, but its their regulations..

Makes it easy to handle anyway.

Thanks

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Well its been another couple of weeks.. and i thought I was about done..

I had all the guards in place, Had installed all my belts and made sure all the seats were in.

Had gotten ahold of some rear doors, replaced my rear shockers, (one of them had a bush made from electrical tape )

Had finished my Tray, mounted the spare tyre, and made sure all the lights were working correctly.

Had cleaned up and fitted my new exhaust, air filter, and a few other bits and pieces.

And was generally feeling pretty good about it. From what i could see, i needed a Steering Wheel, and an accelerator Cable (mines fraying)

I had bypassed the random toyota part that was missing, and had pretty well thought i had it all done!

I decided it was time to sneak it down to the mechanics...

I got it down there no issues, and left him to look at it.....

I got the following list back.

My "new" muffler was leaking, has a split in it
    The floor has small cracks under the seats.
    My Sump gasket (Silicon ) Leaks.
    Lower Ball joints are split.
    Lower Control Arm inner bushes are starting to perish.
    Accelerator Cable (I knew about this one! yay...)
    Radius Rod Bushes are perishing (i have no idea what these are..)
    Aerial Broken (Id just installed a broken one to fill the hole! apparently a hole is better )
    Rust in LH Rear door. (Thats one that ive got on loan..)
    No side mounts in the front Bar. (Issue with having an RN85R Front Bar i suppose)
    LH Parker dies intermittently.
    Gearbox mount starting to Perish.
    Fuel Filler to be fixed into place. (Regency dont mind to much on this apparently)
    Sway Bar bushes starting to perish.
    Slight Rust in the roof.

I nearly fell over.. thats 1 hell of a list.. and i still hadnt found a steering wheel!

He recommended to me that i fix the major things, Steering wheel, Accel. Cable, Broken Aerial (Sharp Edges), and leave the bushes, rust, etc, and hope for the best.

Ill get those things fixed this weekend, and then its to Regency for it.

14 days to go.

Thanks

Andrew

PS. More pics available at http://www.users.on.net/~herus/hilux/ For those interested.
    Member's ride thread!

Correction.

Steering Wheel sorted
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....0716&rd=1&rd=1

Wooo Me...

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Herus
    I got the following list back.

My "new" muffler was leaking, has a split in it
    The floor has small cracks under the seats.
    My Sump gasket (Silicon ) Leaks.
    Lower Ball joints are split.
    Lower Control Arm inner bushes are starting to perish.
    Accelerator Cable (I knew about this one! yay...)
    Radius Rod Bushes are perishing (i have no idea what these are..)
    Aerial Broken (Id just installed a broken one to fill the hole! apparently a hole is better )
    Rust in LH Rear door. (Thats one that ive got on loan..)
    No side mounts in the front Bar. (Issue with having an RN85R Front Bar i suppose)
    LH Parker dies intermittently.
    Gearbox mount starting to Perish.
    Fuel Filler to be fixed into place. (Regency dont mind to much on this apparently)
    Sway Bar bushes starting to perish.
    Slight Rust in the roof.
    That's a very impressive list indeed suggesting your ute has had a very hard life.

A major issue would be the split in the floor under the seats. Probably need welding up or maybe fibreglass repair (suggest the former).

Bushes and rubbers are easily replaced.

Rust in roof - rust converter and clean up, then filler.

Another muffler shouldn't be too hard. Ditto Gearbox mount (four bolts hold it in)

Parkers - check wiring for break or fraying.

Sump gasket - use the Blue. I used the Grey on my first sump fit and it's a b&st&rd to get off. A good solid bead should do it.

Good luck.

PS. Good to see you won the steering wheel.

PPS. Was it a requirement that you had a spare wheel fitted?

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 17-04-2007 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Typo s

Quote Originally Posted by infotechplus
    A major issue would be the split in the floor under the seats. Probably need welding up or maybe fibreglass repair (suggest the former).
    Its only a small Crack. Probably about 3cms in length.. but they wont like it.

Rust in roof - rust converter and clean up, then filler.
    Again not all that bad.. It i painted over it you would struggle to see it was there.

Another muffler shouldn't be too hard. Ditto Gearbox mount (four bolts hold it in)
    Finding a gearbox mount around here is Hard!, Muffler is kinda welded to everything and rusted into the piping for the cat.

Parkers - check wiring for break or fraying.
    Its a loose wire, i just need to make it not lose. I know the fault, was just hoping...

Sump gasket - use the Blue. I used the Grey on my first sump fit and it's a b&st&rd to get off. A good solid bead should do it.
    I used standard builders Silicon.. Its all i had at the time...

PPS. Was it a requirement that you had a spare wheel fitted?
    No Idea!! thought it better safe the sorry.

Thanks

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Talking Re: Project YN57

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

Oh man, what a day.

I got up this morning, feeling pretty good, but at the same time very very nervous.

Fixed up a little issue with the front bar, added some 8 inch bolts down from the original mount points, down to the mount points on the front bar.

Headed down there, 99% sure i wasnt going to pass. but decided id use the experience to learn, then start stripping the car later on in the week.

The guy that served me was about my age (24 for those playing at home), and was pretty professional to start with.

I introduced myself b4 i even hopped out the car, as he wanted me to test the lights and horn, etc.

He went over all that, was all good, then i got out the car, and sat down.

He called his boss over, to ask about my tray, as he wasnt sure about it. I had removed the spare tyre after talking to the modifications branch, and finding i didnt need one.

Tray was fine, all i really needed was lights and mud guards. and it would have passed.

He then lifted the car, and started looking under it.

This is where it didnt look good. he started writing things on the little sheet, and i started getting a bit worried...

He checked all the bushes, the ball joints, any mounts, etc for wear and tear, and looseness, then wrote a bit more down on the paper...

He lowered it back down, had a look inside, started it, looked over the engine and the underneath with a torch, etc..

then he told me to drive over to the brake machine.

100% on the fronts, woo...
    77.9% on the rears.. this had me a little worried, but according to the machine was a pass! as was the hand brake.

He asked me what i did for a living, and i explained that i was a pc tech, and we got talking about pc games.

He asked me to move the car into a yellow square, and took me back over to his desk.

He finished all the paperwork, and handed me a fresh copy, with 1 thing in it. My ignition barrel, you could pull the key out when the car was running.

But after all that he passed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I nearly burst out in laughter or tears, or something...

After the bad luck ive had the last week or 2, this made me feel much better!!!

Only thing is, im so short on cash at the moment, that i cant afford to register the YN and repair the RN... and as the RN parts are already in the shop, i need to do that first.

For those interested, its gone in for a crank grind, and to have the piston rods (?) resized

now all i need to do is fix the washing machine, and get the RN back on the rd.

Then try and get some money to pay for my engagement party...

Thats going to be fun im sure...

Thanks

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Hey Andrew, it looks like it's all happening down there in SA.

Good to see you got the YN into a reasonable state to pass the tests, but sorry to hear you're a bit short of the folding stuff.

Anyway, that's probably a small weight off your mind. You only have to worry about the GF now.

Good luck,

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 02-05-2007 at 07:06 PM.

and the RN!

I have to learn how to put an engine back together!

it was only just my first time at pulling one apart!

oh well.. Its the only way to learn!

So happy that the YN is able to be registered now tho!

On a side note.. I need a new washing machine.. anyone got one up for grabs in SA?

It hasnt been my luckiest time lately.. until today..

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!