Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Project YN57

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Project YN57

herus. u don't. blue slip is a NSW thing. isn't it called regency or something in SA?
    if the car came out with that motor in AU (ie it was an option) engineering isn't required solongas all the equipment that made up that configuration of vehicle is in place, ie: brakes, fuel tank, emissions ect ect ect
    good work on the new lux' too.

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

the "Y" in YN57 represents it has a Y series motor -

in the states it would've been called an RN55 or Rn57 or something...

firstly, youd have to find a RN series xmember - i dunno if an Rn85 is the same...and i do think it would need to be engineered as you're going 400cc larger with more power - the last thing you want is to run up the ass off a brand new merc and you'd be paying it off the rest of your life as insurance wouldnt cover you.
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

Fair enough.

Thanks Grega and Robbo..

I guess its back to looking for a 3Y then.

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

spend 1200 bucks and get a brand new 4Y! This is what i shouldve done, but a bogan is never satisfied with a 2200cc 4 banger!
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

ahahah

Its true.

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

all you should need to do is notify transport SA of the new engine number as its the same series of engines.

Yer Kedz,

Ill work on that shortly, i need to get the defect off first...

Went digging for a 3Y today, should have it out of a hiace tomorrow, then ill swap everything over and and see how she goes.

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Well,

Its been like 3 weeks, but because ive been out till late working on the Luxes, and when ever ive been inside ove been to stuffed to do any thing, I havent really updated anything.

Luckily ive taken a few pics as ive gone along, so i can update as i go...

After I managed to pick up an RN85R, I sold my HZ, I was sorry to see it go, but oh well.

It's nice and straight, had AC and PS, and was pretty well exactly what i needed to start with.

But for now back to the YN57.

I decided to get stuck into the Engine to see if i could find out what the problem was.
    This was exciting, id never pulled an engine apart before. Id done plenty of engine change overs, but never pulled one apart.

I removed the head and had a look.

The 4th piston was the one doing the knocking, so i had a close look, and couldnt really see anything.

So i put it all back together (took me like 3 hours! Stupid pushrods) , and tried to start it to see what happened.
    It whirred, and that was it. wouldnt start, or anything.
    I think now, that it was the battery, and if i had of jump started it, it would have fired and knocked like crazy as it was before.

So i went looking for another motor. I found one at U-Pull-It in a Hiace that had been used as a camper van and had only come out of rego the day before i started pulling the engine out!

Let me tell you know, removing an engine from a hiace is not something you can do in a hurry. It took us about 4 hours, and we had to do it over 2 days as we werent able to get there till late in the arvo, then they kept closing on us!

Eventually, we got the engine out, and finally home.

I went and hired an engine crane, and got set into a long night of doing an engine change. I would have thought that the hire place was closed on public holidays, but apparently they arent. i had 24 hours to get the old one out and the new one in.

I started on removing the old one at about 4.30 sunday afternoon. (it was a long weekend)
    It was about 6.30 when i had it out. I removed it with the gearbox attached, and it was reasonable painless as i had already disconnected most things the night before.

As i got it out, i sat it down, and compared the 2 engines. The engine that i had just removed looked in better condition to then the one i was about to install. And i hadnt even had the "new" one started yet.

I decided to swap everything over from the old 3Y to the new one. water pump, etc all moved, and there was 1 thing i was noticing was the old engine had a lot of relatively new bolts in it. Seemed it had a rebuild not all that long ago..

I swapped everything, including the sump, as the one on the new engine had been stabbed or something.

There 3 holes to the left of the sump plug.

I changed over the flywheel, and fitted the clutch and the gearbox. at this stage it was about 11pm and i figured it was time for bed.

Next day, i lifted the new engine in, and connected everything up. it was ready to fire by about 12. after a jump start, it was away, and ticking rather noisely, but not the same noise as the last one.

I turned it off, added some more oil and tried again.. The tick started up, and slowly died!

Woo.. a quiet running engine for only $193!!

The sump from the old engine was full of what appeared to be a piston ring. I figure thats the fault with it, and ill leave it for now and get it fixed at a later date.

I had also got a hold of a few bits and pieces and had fixed up some wiring that needed doing.

It was starting to look reasonably good.

Then i got bored and decided to play musical parts.
    I moved the mags, seats, and most chrome parts to the RN85R

I also bolted all the old seats into the YN57.

and the wheels off the RN85R

Today, i went back to upullit and grabbed some other random parts, like inner guards and the like, and got stuck into getting the front end back on.

Let me tell you 1 thing. I HATE AFTERMARKET PANELS!! they never line up and they never do anything you need them to.
    I had to panel beat the after market 2wd guard because it didnt fit. then i still couldnt get 1 of the bolts in!...
    I eventually got it done.. so the door didnt hit it when you opened it..

I then fitted the front bumper and cleaned up the grill. at this stage, its looking like a piece of art... a multi coloured, weird looking piece of art.
    I took this pic tonight...

Now all i need is some front seatbelts, a steering wheel, a couple of rear doors to loan, (They dont like ones with no door handles) and a rear tray to borrow. If anyone has one, it would be most appreciated. Ill only need it for a week or 2!

Thanks

Andrew
    Last edited by Herus; 24-03-2007 at 08:51 PM. Reason: fixing pics
    Member's ride thread!

Nurses rock! Grease Monkey lunar_c's Avatar

Hey mate,
    That RN85 is a really clean looking find!
    What motor are you intending to run in it?
    I must admit Loluxes are a guilty pleasure of mine .. I think project "Bugger" ? with the turbo 3RZ? is my favourite..
    Take it easy mate! They're coming along well..
    Ben

"it went up in a jiffy" Conversion King Kedderz's Avatar

shes clean alright, cept the chromies make it very very dirty imho ;-)

i thought u were looking for a 2 dorr tray back lux, or have plans changed due to finding a nice example?

I was looking for at least an extra cab, and no trays.. i hate them...

I wasnt going to go with a dual cab, but extra cabs are hard to find, and i decided a dual cab would be more fun with a few mates..

Im planning at this stage on a 1G conversionfor the RN85R, still deciding on which engine..

Any suggestions, im all ears.

Thanks guys

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

1/2JZ? Depends on your $$$

Quote Originally Posted by allmtr
    1/2JZ? Depends on your $$$
    not much...

was looking at 1ggte or 1ggze

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Junior Member Carport Converter SL666's Avatar

1j is much harder to fit.

And also much more expensive to buy...

More news today, made my booking for Transport SA to go in and try to get the defect off...

Deadline is the 2nd May..

So I made myself a bit of a list tonight of what i need to do.

Need to loan some rear doors, preferably with everything fitted, as the ones i have dont have door handles... Have talked to my local toyota wrecker about "hiring" some parts and he doesnt seem to mind that much, although i havent really talked to him about it much, and he really doesnt know who i am.

Steering wheel, I need an original one, the sports one is to small, and seeing it was originally defected for it in the first place, i need to get it swapped. Looking at hiring that as well..

Seatbelts.. I need pair of front seatbelts, in Blue.. If anyone has any handy, id be interested in buying them. I know its illegal, but i need them from somewhere... Not to sure what happened to the original ones, just know they arent there.. if no one here has them.. $35 each from an undisclosed location...

Front lights.. The original owner of the car has a pair of headlights and a pair of original indicators sitting at his place, that i asked him to ship to me, that i havent seen yet. I might have to give him a call this weekend, and travel out to see him.

Original air filter.. Mines got a pod filter.. woosh... um.. yer... needs all the original bits of one, box, filter, pipes, mounts, etc... Need to talk to the wrecker on that one..

Rear brakes.. one of the rear brakes locks up under relatively light braking.. taking it to my mechanic for him to look at that one.. I pulled them apart, but didnt see anything of interest to be causing lock ups..

Washers. The windscreen washers arent connected, ive got the sprayers, but no hose. Will set that up this weekend.

Light clips.. just general bolts that hold lights and the like in. If anyone has pics of the front behind the lights with springs, screws, etc, id like a few so i can see what im missing.

Antenna.. anyone got any ideas of covering the antenna hole with out doing any welding? The car has an antenna along the back to the car, the front isnt needed.

Tray.. still thinking about this one, Regency told me that it was fine so long as it covered everything, and that if i didnt have wheel arches, that it covered the wheels as well. Im thinking ill just use the "tray" that came with the car, with a few changes to use the original bolt holes.

Stereo mounts... Ive got the pocket, but am still looking for the mount. Is there any that suit the hilux in another model of car? I tried a corolla one, but it didnt fit.. everything was bending the wrong way.

Exhaust. I need a complete exhaust exluding headers to go right through the car. the system in there is noisey, and illegal. Was thinking about using the exhaust off the RN85R as it looks pretty similar, but figure ill just buy one from the wrecker for hopefully not to much.

Tail lights. Anyone know any legislation on these? Ive got one of those mounted under the car reverse lights, but no other tail lights. Are these under car reverse light legal? if so can i just get a set of indicators/tail lights, and install those?, no problems? or do i need ones that have the full set? indicators/tail/brake.

Fuel Filler.. I need some details on this as the YN has been modified to have no filler in the main body, Does this need to be in a secure location? where it cant move? or is it fine sitting up hard where it is, in a position where it cant be damaged or damage anyone else? I think that 1 tonners have them loose under the tray, but if anyone can clear this up it would be good.

I think thats about it for now..

Ive got 33 days to get the machine ready to go. Fingers crossed that everything goes well and all works. and then, the defect comes off first go. Then i can start work on the RN85R and its engine conversion.. Woo for that day..

Please respond to my few questions guys, would make my life a lot easier!

Thanks

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!