Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engineers Cert. Question.

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Engineers Cert. Question.

Mk3_supra, I reckon you'll have a good idea of what to do now!

Joecoolmk2, the regulations certainly are vague! VSIs can be used fairly and squarely to our advantage. The VSI specifies when an engineers certificate is needed. Also, I'd like to know where this 15% stuff comes from. I see it crop up a bit.

oldcorollas:

Jza70's and ma70's aren't different enough to worry Vicroads. It's the *a70 bit that matters.

Also, in my firsthand experience (sigh), insurance companies will be fine if it's fine with Vicroads. Call one yourself and ask. I've asked many times, and claimed once. There were no hassles or issues.
    Last edited by mr_smart; 01-03-2007 at 06:42 PM.

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    etc.. page 4.. point 11. Replacement Engines

1. JZA70 is a different model to MA70.... it is similar, but a different model (if only by toyotas naming standards).
    2. the JZA70 was never offered as an original equipment model in australia.

however the similarities are such that there may be confusion for both engineers and vicroads.., but insurance companies have no doubt they interpret wording to their benefit

not really different models. the only difference is the engine, which is why one is a jza70, and the other a ma70. they're exactly the same cars.

i reckon if you show them that section of the regulations, and get it to pass an emissions test, and you'll be fine.
    beer me!

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mr_smart
    Mk3_supra, I reckon you'll have a good idea of what to do now!

Joecoolmk2, the regulations certainly are vague! VSIs can be used fairly and squarely to our advantage. The VSI specifies when an engineers certificate is needed. Also, I'd like to know where this 15% stuff comes from. I see it crop up a bit.

i have no idea really about the victorian regulations except what's being quoted by you guys. and the way i read it, the 1JZ is an option for the A70 model supra's.
    beer me!

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

mr_smart, just out of interest, what does it say for engine capacity on your rego papers now? Still refers to a 2L capacity even though it lists a 1JZ engine number?
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Whatthe?, we don't have capacity or engine specs (just number) mentioned on our rego papers.

Just rego number, serial, fee code (light vehicle), vehicle (format= date make model), VIN, engine number, and tare. Oh, and the registration fee...

edit: To clarify, and cast doubt over my whole case, my car isn't regoed. This thread has caught me just at the right time, so i can learn what further i need to do, if at all. Having been to Vicroads before to register an unreg'd car, and having read the regs, I know it won't be a problem. They need reg form, money, receipt from previous owner, ID numbers and most importantly, the RWC. That's the key. Get a roadworthy mechanic who knows the regs and you're in.
    Last edited by mr_smart; 01-03-2007 at 06:51 PM.

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joecoolmk2
    yeah, now i'm on the fence. on one side, i think the regulations aren't clear enough on what is allowed. if it says that 15% power increase is allowed, then 199kw is ok. so you could say that the 1JZ is 200kw and they might say it's OK.
    you can say that, but the rta require a written statement of power figures from the manufacturer, and toyota aren't going to give such statement on the 1J as they don't support it.

the 15% rule i think is being phased out, new rules are repalcing it. it wasn't just refering to power, it also reffered to capacity, and 500cc differance was also out of this.

Mr smart, if you think you can get it through, good fucking luck. you'll find it out soon enough.

they RTA have a habit of not knowing shit, you talk to them they say yes, when it comes crunch time they will fuck you hard up the ass leaving it throbbing.

Thats all i am going to say here.
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

No one mentioned the RTA.

I'll think of something.. Backyard Mechanic -NiCkeL-'s Avatar

Default Re: ma70 1jzgte conversion help

Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_supra
    im currently urgiung also... with them coz the dumb kunt of a Consultant from vic roads did not know and refered me to the website......

by the way how much did u pay for ur Ennginner Cert. and who did u go to?
    A couple of people who would know anything about the matter have actually left in the past two weeks - they are training a couple of people in this kind of field, but it's slow going. Some of the most knowledgeable people at VicRoads have left this year - two from my team specifically.

If the motor was an option in the vehicle, then you won't need an engineers report. Even if it was an option overseas but never released within Australia, i'm sure it's still fine. It's when the make and model of your vehicle was never released with that motor, you'll start having problems and need an engineers report.

Speak to someone from Road Safety at VicRoads...most people in the registrations area, etc won't know what you are talking about...
    Classic Celica Club of Victoria - http://cccvic.cjb.net

http://www.classiccelicas.com.au - The place to go for all things Classic Celica...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by -NiCkeL-
    A couple of people who would know anything about the matter have actually left in the past two weeks - they are training a couple of people in this kind of field, but it's slow going. Some of the most knowledgeable people at VicRoads have left this year - two from my team specifically.

If the motor was an option in the vehicle, then you won't need an engineers report. Even if it was an option overseas but never released within Australia, i'm sure it's still fine. It's when the make and model of your vehicle was never released with that motor, you'll start having problems and need an engineers report.

Speak to someone from Road Safety at VicRoads...most people in the registrations area, etc won't know what you are talking about...

I did Specifically ask for the Road and safety department. I dont mean to be rude and cruse the consultant but instead of referring me to the website even thought the VIS did not specifically state the exact regulation at least ask a more experience consultant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mk3_supra
    I did Specifically ask for the Road and safety department. I dont mean to be rude and cruse the consultant but instead of referring me to the website even thought the VIS did not specifically state the exact regulation at least ask a more experience consultant.
    Some are good, some are bad. A lot of people come and go, which is a problem.

Make sure you do your research before you call as well. If you don't have specifics, they won't chase them up for you on most occassions. James who left about 2 weeks ago was good in that regard, I sat next to him for a while and he was the most helpful person there...as well as being the most knowledgeable.

It doesn't bother me you found them useless - sometimes when I call internally and ask for assistance on some matters, they treat us just the same way (depending on who you speak to).

There are three rules that are outlined in regards to engine swaps - I have not looked at them recently as it isn't really my department, but when I am at work tommorow i'll have a look through our stuff and see what I can come up with for you.

http://www.classiccelicas.com.au - The place to go for all things Classic Celica...

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

So.. is it any different to be putting a 4AG in a KE70? I didn't seem to have too many issues with that..

Quote Originally Posted by mrshin
    So.. is it any different to be putting a 4AG in a KE70? I didn't seem to have too many issues with that..
    At the end of the day I guess you could make up anything when speaking to someone over the phone and they'll tell you what you want to hear. For example, most people who work at VicRoads wouldn't know the first thing about engines, let alone a conversion.

If you were to ring tommorow and say..

"I've got a 1972 TA22 Celica and i've put a 1GGTE engine into it...now it's not any bigger than what was previously in there and it came out as an option in a TA22 in Japan with the same intake and it's running the same turbo as what my TA22 came out of the factory with, and blah blah"

...most people would look at the guidelines and say, yep, sounds fine. Anything to do with an engine swap (even something as simple as a change of engine number for the exact same motor) needs to come into VicRoads. That's when you'll have a problem when they physically inspect it.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

get it in writing?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    get it in writing?
    It's not the person on the other end of the phone you have to convince, it'll be an authorised inspector at VicRoads when the time comes along.

Definately have all your documentation in writing if you believe you abide by the guidelines - but getting someone's word for it over the phone won't help. They are only there to provide information and to give out VicRoads work instructions and guidelines.

When I get to work i'll post up the documentation on conversions, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_smart
    And a change of engine doesn't require a pit inspection. Just a change of motor form and a receipt for the motor.
    Also, just curious - who told you that?

In my time at VicRoads i've always advised we *do* need to inspect the vehicle to clarify the engine number corresponds to your paperwork. A change of description form is also required...