Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engineers Cert. Question.

Junior Member Conversion King whatthe?'s Avatar

Default Re: Engineers Cert. Question.

Me thinketh not...
    Project megap00 - Gave up and sold up. Money tree died

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Nope. I'd state that jza70 and ma70 (for all intents and purposes as far as Vicroads are concerned) are the same model. This chap has two options:

If his supra is registered at present, do the 1j conversion then fill in an engine conversion form and hand the form in to Vicroads. That's the easy way.

If his supra isn't registered, do the 1j conversion, get a rwc (assuming the car is otherwise vaguely roadworthy the engine won't matter, not that it should), then present to Vicroads for a desk jockey to inspect the numbers and register it.

edit: It doesn't matter if the car's aussie delivered or not. Check the VSI. Victorian blokes, read the VSIs and print them out and memorise them. If you're a modified car owner, they'll come in handy someday.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mr_smart
    Nope. I'd state that jza70 and ma70 (for all intents and purposes as far as Vicroads are concerned) are the same model. This chap has two options:

If his supra is registered at present, do the 1j conversion then fill in an engine conversion form and hand the form in to Vicroads. That's the easy way.

If his supra isn't registered, do the 1j conversion, get a rwc (assuming the car is otherwise vaguely roadworthy the engine won't matter, not that it should), then present to Vicroads for a desk jockey to inspect the numbers and register it.

edit: It doesn't matter if the car's aussie delivered or not. Check the VSI. Victorian blokes, read the VSIs and print them out and memorise them. If you're a modified car owner, they'll come in handy someday.

Yeh my supra is currently Registered. so i guess its cool then but Xistant went and got an Engineer Cert. well i'll do the the conversion.. anyway see how it goes

Yeah you'll be fine then. PM me if you have any questions.

Xistant, what's the story with yours?

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

you may as well need an engineers report, cause if you ever get in any shit, its good to have for a modified vehicle. if you have to go over this pits for any reason, to get a change of engine number means to get an inspection, they will pick it up. some people are dumb, but they generally know thats an import motor.

stop asking all these stupid questions, it cost bloody $600 max and a few hours of your time for peace of mind. and $600 on top of the conversion cost is fucking nothing.

basically the brunt is, you WILL need an engineers report as the motor was never released in australia.

I have already tried all avenues to get it done legally, so has xistant. if you want you can try again but you will end up as the same conclusion.

All i can say is do the swap, go to get it registered or the engine number change and you will find out for yourself!
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Junior Member Conversion King Jorrs's Avatar

do the conversion, then go to Vic roads and fill in replacement motor papers, then get new papers with the new engine number on them and play it dumb
    or go get it engineered a whole car is around 600 to 650 Dollars and most engineers wont just engineer one part of a car if their are other modifications to vehicle and will want to engineer the whole car.
    If your worried just get it engineered.
    What is autosalon? Sounds kinda homo.
    Quote Originally Posted by tooch
    It's extremely homo. Basically a whole lot of sh1t cars, with ugly wheels, and a lot of 16-20 year old rockstars with trendy mullets and gay shirts.
    Slayer Of Toymods Wookie Slayers

Junior Member Chief Engine Builder wiso's Avatar

from my experience playing dumb is not in your favour, it usually makes it worse for you.

If you know what your talking about, with good understanding they are more likely to help you rather than pass you off and say thats won't do.
    89' MR2 AW11... His
    00' MR2 ZZW30... Hers

Wiso, please back up your viewpoint, presenting text from the Vicroads Vehicle Standards Information.From what I can see, it doesn't mention imported motors. I appreciate the heads up, as I've done the same conversion to an unregistered ga70 and have had no trouble so far. The only problems with my roadworthy were unrelated to the engine conversion. Additionally, I took the time of contacting and meeting personally with a Vicroads RWC compliance officer, and he stated the regulations to me that I mentioned in this thread earlier.

Mk3_supra, read the vsi's on vicroads.vic.gov.au

And a change of engine doesn't require a pit inspection. Just a change of motor form and a receipt for the motor.
    Last edited by mr_smart; 01-03-2007 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso
    from my experience playing dumb is not in your favour, it usually makes it worse for you.

If you know what your talking about, with good understanding they are more likely to help you rather than pass you off and say thats won't do.

ok.. if i succeed i'l let you know?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Mr Smart, according to the VSI
    http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rd...340/0/VSI8.pdf

it talks about manufacturers original option.
    that means in australia, ie, passing aus emissions etc.
    you may have an easier time getting eng cert since it was available in similar model overseas, but still doesn;t make it automatically an owner certified mod?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Can't see where it says that. Oldcorollas, please quote.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_smart
    And a change of engine doesn't require a pit inspection. Just a change of motor form and a receipt for the motor.

YEh i have read it. Its very specific... [ An engine or transmission change where the replacement is of the same model, type and capacity, as one fitted to a vehicle of that model as original equipment..."]

Mark III Quick information by Chassis code Code Year Engine Power Torque Transmission Market

MA70 1986.5-1992 3.0 L (2954 cc) 7M-GE I6 200 hp (149 kW) 196 ft·lbf (265 N·m) 5-speed W58 manual
    4-speed A340E automatic CAN EUR USA
    3.0 L (2954 cc) 7M-GTE turbo I6 232 hp (173 kW) 240 ft·lbf (325 N·m) 5-speed R154 manual
    4-speed A340E automatic CAN EUR JPN

MA71 1987-1992 3.0 L (2954 cc) 7M-GTE turbo I6 232 hp (173 kW) 240 ft·lbf (325 N·m) 5-speed R154 manual
    4-speed A340E automatic USA

GA70 1986.5-1992 2.0 L (1988 cc) 1G-GTE turbo I6 185-210 hp (138-157 kW) 173-203 ft·lbf (234-275 N·m) 5-speed W58 manual
    4-speed A340E automatic JPN

JZA70 1986.5-1992 2.5 L (2491 cc) 1JZ-GTTE Twin Turbo I6 280-300 hp (206-221 kW) 268-272 ft·lbf (363-368 N·m) 5-speed R154 manual
    4-speed A340E automatic JPN

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

yeah, now i'm on the fence. on one side, i think the regulations aren't clear enough on what is allowed. if it says that 15% power increase is allowed, then 199kw is ok. so you could say that the 1JZ is 200kw and they might say it's OK.

on the other hand, your insurance company might assrape you for it in premiums, and then they might refuse claims too. in this case it may be safer and cheaper to get an engineers certificate.

the choice is yours, maybe
    beer me!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

an engine which is of a type offered by the manufacturer as an option for that vehicle may be fitted provided that
    - all other related components including structure, suspension, brakes, etc., are equivalent to those fitted to a vehicle of the same model supplied with that engine type as original equipment by the manufacturer; and
    - acceptable evidence is supplied which certifies that these components are fitted in accordance with factory methods and the vehicle in it's modified form is safe and complies with the applicable regulations for that model vehicle.
    etc.. page 4.. point 11. Replacement Engines

1. JZA70 is a different model to MA70.... it is similar, but a different model (if only by toyotas naming standards).
    2. the JZA70 was never offered as an original equipment model in australia.

however the similarities are such that there may be confusion for both engineers and vicroads.., but insurance companies have no doubt they interpret wording to their benefit
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!