Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aluminium Wheel Nuts - Use Care - Lost a wheel at 60km/hr today - stripped bolts PICS

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

Unhappy Aluminium Wheel Nuts - Use Care - Lost a wheel at 60km/hr today - stripped bolts PICS

Hey Everyone, i thought this fitting enough to mention in "Tech & Conversions"

Ive been running VOLK immitation 16" rims with 205 tyres for the last 3 months using aluminium wheel nuts that came with them. I wasn't able to use my original nuts, these ones worked so i went on with my life and enjoyed the new wheels.

Safety Note - Dont fucking use fucking aluminium wheel nuts, just thought id set the record straight :/

All four bolts stripped off my front right wheel at 60km/hr on high road today, i lost the wheel, it thrashed about in the wheel arch for a second, denting the crap out of my quarter panel in the process, before flying off onto the other side of the road, hitting a curb and launching 15-20m into the air. Before i could enjoy this (admitedly hilarious sight) the car immediately slumped in the absense of a wheel and proceeded to slam my brake rotor into tarmac at 60 and grind an unforgettable chasm for about 20 meters down high road until i came to a complete and safe stop. I believe i handled the situation well and kept the car in my lane whilst i let it slide to a stop rather than risk a hard brake with only 1 front wheel.

After walking 40m to pick up the missing wheel, I managed to get the car jacked up and wheel back on using 1 bolt from each other wheel and drove home safely. Im purchasing steel nuts immediately. Anyone else with aluminium nuts should also do so

Cheers
    Daniel
    Last edited by Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.; 17-10-2010 at 10:13 PM.

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Aluminium Wheel Nuts - Dont Use - Lost a wheel at 60km/hr today - stripped bolts PICS

the nuts or the bolts stripped?

who'd have thought aluminium nuts would strip
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Bodgepro Mechanic Grease Monkey Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.'s Avatar

Lightbulb Re: Aluminium Wheel Nuts - Dont Use - Lost a wheel at 60km/hr today - stripped bolts

the mofoing aluminium nuts stripped. They must have loosened a little bit due to increased thermal expansion relative to the steel wheel hub thread.
    Stripped straight off, i had to physically un-wind the stripped aluminium from the steel thread, before i could put the wheel back on!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Aluminium Wheel Nuts - Dont Use - Lost a wheel at 60km/hr today - stripped bolts PICS

farrrk, thats very scary!!

they seem to be popular here.. then again,, so are other questionable things

perhaps check the studs for damage and bending.. or replace anyway.... (check bearing etc).....

and throw wheel nuts at nearest holden
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

I make people cry Chief Engine Builder Draven's Avatar

1. Wrong section

2. I'm actually using aluminium the nuts that came with my wheels . I regularly check them for any loosening, but methinks I'll buy some new ones before going for a track day now! + rep.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=7465
    Quote Originally Posted by xero View Post
    and of course campbell newman's completely fucking everything he touches so badly that he should be called dick fingers.

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer Kirsty2520's Avatar

Thats Right Wrong section...
    if you thought it should be in Tech then why put it in the classifieds??

personally I think it should be in General Car so thats where I am putting it.

Kirsty
    RIP Nathan Dean. You Will be Missed.
    Life is like Chocolate..... without the bitter, the sweet means nothing.
    Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
    Never allow someone to be your priority while you are just their option

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

i am using forged aluminium wheel nuts at the moment, i only drive the car on weekends and i check the torque on them every couple of weeks

when retorquing ive never had to actually do anything...just put the torque wrench on and check it so im happy with them
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Yep. They usually get tight then when you undo them, the aluminium thread galls and becomes progressively more stripped. Eventually there's very little thread left and, ping, off they come.

Whilst I can see the rationale on a stripped out race car where every gram counts and they're a one use only item, I can't see the point on a daily driver.

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

I use forged alloy wheel nuts on the Fraser, but I don't simply do the wheel nuts and guess the torque by hand, I use a torque wrench and do it properly.
    Guesing import stuff can often bite you on the arse.
    www.billzilla.org
    Toymods founding member #3

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

you are supposed to lubricate the stud thread before you put them on, with an anti seize compound or similar to prevent damage to the thread
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Aluminium Wheel Nuts - Dont Use - Lost a wheel at 60km/hr today - stripped bolts

Sue the company for negligence if you believe it wasn't your miss use of the product, crying gets you no where.

EDIT: hahaha, if you think aluminum wheel nuts sounds bad, check out this guys sig link!
    If i didnt find it here, id post it as a "look what i found on the internet".
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

edit: anti sieze on the studs huh???
    Last edited by 4agte; 27-02-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto-Spec .:bayka:.
    Ive been running VOLK immitation 16" rims with 205 tyres for the last 3 months using aluminium wheel nuts that came with them.
    I think this is where the problem is. How much exactly did these fake volks cost?

Strangely enough the cheapo copies out of China that get sold for a third or less the cost of the real deal tend not to be made as well as the real thing.

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Can I have more pics of your car? Look interesting.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

Offset is king Grease Monkey monkeymajik's Avatar

that sucks!

did you do them up with a rattle gun/have they been ever done up with a rattle gun?

All the alu ones i've seen MUST be done up by hand.
    monkeymajik
    "Recommended for those who prefer
    hot driving action and big angle drift."
    JDM Style Tuning - Super Late Braking Technique!