Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips trying to press in Speedflow 400 Series Fittings into Aeroqup hose?

Garage Queen Automotive Encyclopaedia ZZT231's Avatar

Default Any tips trying to press in Speedflow 400 Series Fittings into Aeroqup hose?

Hello All,

I got the Speedflow 400 Series Fittings for my oil relocation kit with aeroqup hoses, does anyone have any tips in pressing the fittings into the hose?

Cheers.
    Can't afford it?... Don't buy/drive it...
    James (Viper_Nipplex), We will miss you - Rest In Peace - 11 March 2009

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Default Re: Any tips trying to press in Speedflow 400 Series Fittings into Aeroqup hose?

swear a lot? measure many times before cutting host and putting hose onto fitting.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Any tips trying to press in Speedflow 400 Series Fittings into Aeroqup hose?

If you mean braided stainless Aeroquip hose you have the wrong fittings, try Speedflow 100 series.

Speedflow 400 fittings are for plain hydraulic push on hose.

Junior Member Grease Monkey off-road's Avatar

If they are push on fittings clamp fitting in vice using soft jaws. Spray barbed area of fitting with CRC then push hose on. You have to push like hell to get them on but don't stop pushing till they are all the way on.For some reason if you stop half way it is impossible to get the hose moving again.

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

i used a smear of pump soap to get my pushlock hose onto my speedflow gear.
    as above ; soft jaws in vice ; and be prepared for a fight
    if you don't get the hose on all the way ; and can't move it, carefully cut it off and start again.

tilting at windmills Carport Converter Ben Wilson's Avatar

You can try dropping the end of the hose in a cup of hot water for a few minutes. That will soften it up a little. It still sucks though...
    Strange things are afoot at the circle K

hench why i pay the few extra bucks for 100 series...
    ../delete/ban
    tech moderator
    E46 M3 Nürburgring Nordschleife - 8.38

Crazy Chief Engine Builder 1JZ-Rolla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rms
    If you mean braided stainless Aeroquip hose you have the wrong fittings, try Speedflow 100 series.

Speedflow 400 fittings are for plain hydraulic push on hose.
    Speedflow 400 series are definately the correct barbed fittings for the blue or black Aeroquip pushlock hose.

As mentioned, always soak the hose end in boiling water, it makes it much easier, but you don't have a lot of time before it cools down so be prepared (and ready to swear!)

Enzed etc recommended using dishwashing detergent on the fitting, or Earls also say you can use a smear of plain engine oil as the lubricant to assist in assembly of their similar fittings.

ZZT231, Are you using the hoses for water, fuel or oil? [EDIT] never mind I just re-read your first post about the oil relocation kit
    Last edited by 1JZ-Rolla; 07-01-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: me carnt read :p

Since you are using this for hot engine oil, beware of pushlock hose coming apart from the fittings, I have had two instances where they have separated, mind you this was with Gates hose not Aeroquip, but they should be the same. Doesn't seem to happen with hot water, but has with hot oil.

Now if I have to use pushlock for oil hoses I use a hose clamp also, only just nipped up, DO NOT TIGHTEN LIKE A NORMAL HOSE FITTING as you will cut into the inside of the hose with the sharp barbs, all you want to do it stop the hose being able to expand and slip off the fitting.

Anybody else had this problem? Its not fun when you have full oil system pressure pumping out of a 1/2" hose under your tyres

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

I had no probs pushing on Aeroquip hose to -10 fittings a few weeks back, as mentioned though the trick is to get it on in one motion. If you stop halfway it's hard to get going again - a bit like pushing out a grog-bog.

I just pushed the hose onto the fittings without any use of liquids/lubes or heat - I'm strong as f#ck though

I think once you know how hard it is to push this hose on you just accept it and get it done. It's the first time you use it you just think WTF! Surely there is an easier way

EDIT: Phil, you can get speedflow hose clips for use with pushlock hose, they just clip together where the metal clip overlaps, so they can't be overtightened or damage the hose.
    My KE25 thread
    WSID - 12.8@108mph || Wakefield Park - 1:11.4 || SDMA Hillclimb - 49.1

you are verry verry buffed, yes?

IF you do get stuck with the hose on half way, you can immerse the whole fitting and first section of the hose in hot water to help get it started again.

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1JZ-Rolla
    Since you are using this for hot engine oil, beware of pushlock hose coming apart from the fittings, I have had two instances where they have separated, mind you this was with Gates hose not Aeroquip, but they should be the same. Doesn't seem to happen with hot water, but has with hot oil.

Now if I have to use pushlock for oil hoses I use a hose clamp also, only just nipped up, DO NOT TIGHTEN LIKE A NORMAL HOSE FITTING as you will cut into the inside of the hose with the sharp barbs, all you want to do it stop the hose being able to expand and slip off the fitting.

Anybody else had this problem? Its not fun when you have full oil system pressure pumping out of a 1/2" hose under your tyres
    You must have been unlucky. Probly due to the fact it was gates hose. Iv used the pushlock system hose on an entire dry sump system. No problems with lines coming off even on the pressure stages of the system.

I'd say it is probably the fault of the gates hose, as it happened on two different vehicles using the same fittings & hose. Seems rediculous though since Gates rate their product for the same applications & temp range as the Aeroquip stuff.

Gates also have a much less wear resistant outer shell, don't let them rub on anything!

Anyways, sorry ZZT231, i'm getting a bit off-topic Follow the hints people have posted here and i'm sure you'll do fine.

If all else fails, you can always hire YLD-16L and his massive guns ;p haha

Roadhouse Automotive Encyclopaedia emp?'s Avatar

walk the 2 blocks down the the speedflow factory and ask them?
    KE38 - 2TG
    MS65 - 1UZ

Junior Member Grease Monkey off-road's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emp?
    walk the 2 blocks down the the speedflow factory and ask them?
    I wonder what sort of reception you would get when you asked them how to put their ends on someone elses hose?