Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20v BT in AW11 Conversion...

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Red face 20v BT in AW11 Conversion...

Hey All...

I have purchased a 20v Blacktop 1/2 cut about a couple of weeks ago, and I'm just getting familiar with some of the stuff that needs to be done to install it into my AW11 MR2.

There is heaps of info out there, and I'm trying to find and familiarize myself with most of these. But this is the first time I'm doing a conversion, although I'm no stranger to mechanical and some electrical work (Underline "Some")

Anyway... My query is... Is there anybody in the Perth, Western Australia (South area) that has performed such a conversion, and if I could call upon them if I get stuck along the way somewhere...

I appreciate any help I can get, so please let me know...

Thanks
    MIKE

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

Default Re: 20v BT in AW11 Conversion...

Haven't done the conversion myself matey, but I'd be more than happy to help you out with it...I've messed with mine a bit, and sometimes just a fresh set of eyes can help nut out a problem...

RM.

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

this website www.padandwheels.com/mr2 has a very good/complete writeup of doing a blactop conversion into an aw11 you can use the 20v gearbox or simplify it by using the mr2 gearbox the page has all the information about wiring the engine

the na mr2 driveshafts will fit the inner shafts on the 20v gearbox

its a pretty straight forward conversion i think the only modification is the throttle linkages and the water piping other than that it will use all the stopck engine/gearbox mounts

Junior Member Carport Converter Mooro's Avatar

Can I ask where and how much you got the blacktop halfcut for??? Pm me if you prefer. It's not the one out of the Quokka I have my eyes on is it ?

I'm in Perth as well and contemplating this conversion although I will probably be a bit behind you so if I get stuck I'll know who to ask .

I'm still trying to decide between blacktop or 3sge conversion.

just a note to mooro

i got mine from just toyota wrecking for 2200

craig
    Te71 Corolla Levin, Blacktop 20v
    Te71 Corolla Levin ex Rally Car 2tg.
    Te71 Corolla Hardtop 2dr Sedan, 2tg/3t waiting
    Ke70 Corolla 4dr Sedan
    Ae86 Corolla sprinter 4ac
    Corolla Feind

Is that a complete halfcut?

Come with LSD box?

Is the name "Toyota Wrecking" or "Just Toyota Wrecking"?

Sounds like a good price...I might give them a call. I wonder if the have an ST202 (gen 3 3sge) halfcuts.

sorry for the hijack kassma
    Te71 Corolla Levin, Blacktop 20v
    Te71 Corolla Levin ex Rally Car 2tg.
    Te71 Corolla Hardtop 2dr Sedan, 2tg/3t waiting
    Ke70 Corolla 4dr Sedan
    Ae86 Corolla sprinter 4ac
    Corolla Feind

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic jezza323's Avatar

pm adamaw11, he has a blacktop in his aw11, he is in brisbane but im sure he could help you out...
    EP91 Toyota Starlet - AUStarletClub

Wink Re: 20v BT in AW11 Conversion...

Hey All...

Moore... U Have PM...

Good info, and it's great to see I have a few experts in Perth, that can assist if I get stuck. Hopefully I don't, and maybe I can assist somebody on the list later on down the track when I have mine completed.

I will also be documenting the conversion... (Yet another one!!!! )

I'll let you all know how it goes...

Thanks again...

MIKE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooro
    Can I ask where and how much you got the blacktop halfcut for??? Pm me if you prefer. It's not the one out of the Quokka I have my eyes on is it ?

I'm in Perth as well and contemplating this conversion although I will probably be a bit behind you so if I get stuck I'll know who to ask .

I'm still trying to decide between blacktop or 3sge conversion.
    ive never done the blacktop conversion but i am doing the silvertop conversion atm i couldnt justify an extra grand for the blacktop

you can buy engine packages as you dont need the rest of the halfcut just need engine loom exhaust computer and the geabox if your gonna use it

Smile Re: 20v BT in AW11 Conversion...

Hey All...

Yeah, I was looking at 20v ST and BT to compare the differences... The BT was about $500-1000 dearer, but when you look at the differences between the BT and ST, and also what you really wanna do, the BT is better value for money. I was looking at the ST for $1200 or $1700 including gearbox and Driveshafts... Spent the extra and got a 1/2 cut instead... at least you know it's all there... (Hopefully... )
    SOme of the differences are Higher compression, bigger throttle bodies, lighter rotating assembly, lightened flywheel, better tune on ECU, different cam profile (More aggressive), etc. None-the-less... the 20v ST is better for when you want to start playing with it.. IE: more aggressive cams, turbo, etc. I have not intention to play much with it, other than some very minor mods (Intake, exhaust, and that is about it.)

The reason I wanted a 1/2 cut is because it includes a lot of other stuff, such as gearbox, starter motor, alternator, etc... Also, it helps putting things into an MR2, and since I'm doing it for the first time, I thought I'd better get a half cut, so I know what/where/how all things hang together prior to dissassembly.

Anyway... my 2 cents worth...

THis is becoming an interesting topic...

Thanks
    MIKE.

Quote Originally Posted by 4agte
    ive never done the blacktop conversion but i am doing the silvertop conversion atm i couldnt justify an extra grand for the blacktop

you can buy engine packages as you dont need the rest of the halfcut just need engine loom exhaust computer and the geabox if your gonna use it
    My thoughts from speaking to a lot of people is that the blacktop is worth the extra money as the difference in on road performance is greater than what the paper figures suggest plus you are getting a newer engine. For a NA engine I think blacktop is better option and worth another grand but I guess if going full house with new everthing then not much in it and obviously for turbo applications silvertop better.

the only reason i can see for the blacktop being worth more money is that being a newer motor they should have fewer km/s on them the extra $1000 could be well spent on other things i think

thats just my opinion i spose its biased cause i have a silvertop and im looking to put bigger cams computer etc into it anyways

Learner Driver Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Mooro
    My thoughts from speaking to a lot of people is that the blacktop is worth the extra money as the difference in on road performance is greater than what the paper figures suggest plus you are getting a newer engine. For a NA engine I think blacktop is better option and worth another grand but I guess if going full house with new everthing then not much in it and obviously for turbo applications silvertop better.

Correct.

I have had a ST and now own a BT powered car.

The difference on paper is bugger all as they make there power up high in the rpm and there is not really much noticable difference when driving,

But at 3000 to 4000 rpm, the difference is unbelievable.
    the BT is Miles ahead of the ST.
    You wouldn't even belive that they are similar engines.
    and as this is usually the range that a road car gets driven in,
    for a road car application the BT is definatly worth the price
    - KE70 Corolla Dx -
    - 500hp+ 7AGTE 20V turbo -
    - MRS/Hayabusa turbo **sold**
    - TA63 3TGTE project in the build -

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

From the information I have gathered the 20v into an AW11 is actually one of the more straight forward swaps you can do with a 4age. (only what i get from reading the net, actually doing however is always different) I suppose it helps that the enging is a fwd not a rwd so plumbing and wiring should already be in close to the right places.

heres a good lot of info if you dont already have it http://opc.mr2oc.com/

It is interesting to hear that the ST and BT are that different when driven. Still if your planning on any kind of forced induction or getting really aggressive with NA tuning it seems that the ST would be a better plattform to start at. As of late it seems there are alot of hybrid conversions happening with a ST bottom end and a BT head, it also seems like people are getting good results from this..... anyways i am rambling now. good luck, and let us know how it turns out.

BTW this conversion is the next on my list after i get the tercel going. (and the wife lets me spend more money)
    Quote Originally Posted by merc-blue
    Cheap tools take all the fun out of working on a car.
    My Rebuild and Conversion.... '81 Tercel 3A -> 4A-GE 20 Valve - ON HOLD.
    BAD ASS 1986 MR2 - Finally Moving forward.