Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20v BT in AW11 Conversion...

Junior Member Carport Converter 4agte's Avatar

Default Re: 20v BT in AW11 Conversion...

well its not so simple the water outlet is on the wrong side of the block so it gets a little tricky.

but if you use the mr2 gearbox the 20v is a bolt in affair

ethanol sniffing Backyard Mechanic adamaw11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DX20VT
    Correct.

I have had a ST and now own a BT powered car.

The difference on paper is bugger all as they make there power up high in the rpm and there is not really much noticable difference when driving,

But at 3000 to 4000 rpm, the difference is unbelievable.
    the BT is Miles ahead of the ST.
    You wouldn't even belive that they are similar engines.
    and as this is usually the range that a road car gets driven in,
    for a road car application the BT is definatly worth the price

I can vouch for that. the ST was by no means slow despite having somewhat worn rings
    but after really giving the BT a hard run the difference was clear.

I'm guessing a lot of the difference lies in the extra compression and the cams, so as has been said, if modifying everything anyway the ST might be the go.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=83259
    '88 A.D.M aw11 '98 4age 20v blacktop
    NA: 14.745@150kmh at willowbank. On E85 with 6psi boost: 13.573@165kmh. ~8psi: 13.187 @169.9kmh. >10psi: 12.9 rod fragments @ 174mm holes in block
    daily: '93 ae101 Levin coupe. Motorbike: '09 Suzuki GSR600: 12.358@179kmh at Willowbank

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Actually, that is a good point, which I remember having read a while back that the water flows in a different direction to the 16v? Is this correct?

Are the any doco out there that can point me in the right direction regarding the water cooling lines? I've checked various sites, and according to my research the pipe that goes along the side (With refiller cap) need to be plumeted into the top back of the 20v (around the corner of the Distributor) and the other one is lower down? Is this correct?

Also... Initially, I will be running with my AW11 gearbox, but eventually I might just swap it over to the 20v gearbox, especially if it has an LSD... otherwise, I might not bother.

I will be using my AW11 gearbox and driveshafts, but I will be using the 20v Flywheel, clutch plate, etc, and the 20v Starter...

What are you thoughts on this?

THanks
    MIKE.

ethanol sniffing Backyard Mechanic adamaw11's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kassma

Are the any doco out there that can point me in the right direction regarding the water cooling lines? I've checked various sites, and according to my research the pipe that goes along the side (With refiller cap) need to be plumeted into the top back of the 20v (around the corner of the Distributor) and the other one is lower down? Is this correct?

MIKE.
    yep sounds like you've got that right, thats the way mine is. The other pipe lower down is where the thermostat is, on the "back" of the engine.

In just about any 20v aw11 you see, everyone has taken a slightly different approach to re-routing the coolant line.
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=83259
    '88 A.D.M aw11 '98 4age 20v blacktop
    NA: 14.745@150kmh at willowbank. On E85 with 6psi boost: 13.573@165kmh. ~8psi: 13.187 @169.9kmh. >10psi: 12.9 rod fragments @ 174mm holes in block
    daily: '93 ae101 Levin coupe. Motorbike: '09 Suzuki GSR600: 12.358@179kmh at Willowbank

speaking of the clutch the spline is the same size for the c52 and c56???

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Yes, I believe the splines are the same between the C52 and C56. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I've checked various clutch setups, and they most seem to have the same part numbers for all.

Regards
    MIKE.

yeah i was thinking that just crossed my mind as i bought an exedy clutch to suit the 20v flywheel but i realised im using a c52 gearbox so was a moment of panic lol

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

You might find that the LSD is pretty much a waste of time, and might acutally make it not as nice to drive with some pace up. I find my car tries to push wide under power in high-speed corners, I think it's the bastard-tight LSD that does it...unless you're having trouble with the inside wheel lifting up, I don't think it'd be worth the drama for the LSD on an NA engine...

my 2c

RM.

if your tracking it an lsd allways helps imho especially if your powering out of low speed corners or doing stuff like motorkahna

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Actually, that is a good point, which I remember having read a while back that the water flows in a different direction to the 16v? Is this correct?

Sam Q RWD water conversion may help you out, as a base and you should be able to do some sort of variation on this to get the water lines where you want them.
    http://www.sq.id.au/auto/cooling/20vrwdcooling.html
    you can also check my rebuild thread as i have done a slightly modified version of this

sorrry i may have jumped the gun saying that it should be straight forward the more i think about it and visualize the more i realize what needs to be moved, and in such a small space

again. good luck
    i would also double check the fitting of the starter 20v starters are slightly different from the 16v ones (mounting is offset on lower bolt hole) I believe that i should work but it would be good to know (for sure) in advance
    Last edited by DeftAnesthetik; 24-02-2007 at 03:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by merc-blue
    Cheap tools take all the fun out of working on a car.
    My Rebuild and Conversion.... '81 Tercel 3A -> 4A-GE 20 Valve - ON HOLD.
    BAD ASS 1986 MR2 - Finally Moving forward.

Cunning Linguist Domestic Engineer The Last Streetfighter's Avatar

Yes, I believe the splines are the same between the C52 and C56. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I've checked various clutch setups, and they most seem to have the same part numbers for all.

Regards
    MIKE.
    C56 and late model C52 have same clutch 212mm diameter. Earlier C52s had 200mm. I think the only thing not interchangeable is the small bearing that you replace.
    AE90 Silvertop - GONE; 2001 ST215W GT-T Manual - SOLD; EP82 Starlet GT - Sold
    Now driving 20V Turbo 1.8 N-S FWD

Fuel Economy Warrior Carport Converter Vios-GT_07's Avatar

^^

afaik, 4A-G bigports had the 200mm flywheel (bolted to C52)

4A-G smallports had 212mm flywheel.. and probably all 4A-G beyond the smallport.. there's this thing about a 230mm flywheel somewhere that might be a myth.. GZEs are a different matter, but i'm told earlier GZEs (MAP?) are 200mm (AW11, AE8X) and later GZES (AFM?) are 212mm.. (AE9X to 1XX series)
    Research has shown child in front seat causes accidents, accident in back seat causes child

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Vios-GT_07
    ^^

afaik, 4A-G bigports had the 200mm flywheel (bolted to C52)

4A-G smallports had 212mm flywheel.. and probably all 4A-G beyond the smallport.. there's this thing about a 230mm flywheel somewhere that might be a myth.. GZEs are a different matter, but i'm told earlier GZEs (MAP?) are 200mm (AW11, AE8X) and later GZES (AFM?) are 212mm.. (AE9X to 1XX series)
    Somewhat true but. . .
    Firstly earlier GZE's are not MAP they are AFM and no AE8x ever came GZE.
    NO gze was ever released with a 200 or 212mm flywheel

AW11 GZE and early AE92(87-90) had 225mm flys
    late AE92(90-91) and AE101 GZE had 230mm flys

You are correct with the 4AG's. However JDM AW11 4AGE had 212mm flys from 85-until end of production. I cannot confirm ADM 4AG AW11 flywheels size, but suspect from 87-89 was 212mm pre 87 was 200mm?.
    There was also a revision with the BT 20v flywheel. It retained the 212mm diameter however its lighter than the ST variant.
    pics and weights here - http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/weigh...els_weight.htm

hope that clarifys, now let the thread die