Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A few GA-63 questions...

car connoisseur Grease Monkey essaysixtythree's Avatar

Default A few GA-63 questions...

hey there folks, I have an SA-63 celica and i have been wanting to revive it with a 1g for a while now as the 2s has done over 350thou ks and i have a few queries?
    1.What else must be done to get it registered? eg. brakes... (r32 brakes do these bolt on)
    2.Can i buy the mounts already made up? if not does someone have some measurements so i can get started on these?
    3.Insurance...
    4.Most importantly will it beat my brothers na sw20 with hks filter exhaust suspension and enkei race rims?

I have acquired a W58 from my mates wrecked ra65.(front flip at 100ks no broken glass and driveable!) So im guessing i will be needing now engine, clutch, bellhousing ecu and wiring. Any tips would be wonderful. Just tryin to collect all the info before gettin too far in. Money is also an issue as packing broccoli does not pay as well as it should.

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: A few GA-63 questions...

All the information is already on this forum, search, ive got nothing to do so im writing a bit.
    There are no mounts made for this, you will probably need the engine cross member from that RA65, then use the top of the 1G mounts. To make the bonnet close on the turbo pipes and not hit, you need to grind off the x-member mounts a lower them.

Insurance? well you are on a internet forum, so you can be over 24, and you want to modify a common kids car, i wouldnt bother with insurance, this is the most expensive scenario.

Will run 14/15~ sec 400m, id say that beats a SW20.
    With the right 1G (turbo's greatly vary etc) You can make over 170rwkw stock parts, so 12-13?
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

ok. yeah been havin a bit of a look around the forums. ra65 has gone to the wreckers...

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

pull off your brothers enkeis and im sure he wont beat you

maybe not in his car but probably with his fists. i will look into it. 1g is bout $800 from sss. maybe 900-1000 shipped to tas. would be nice to revive the old clunker. Started resprayin her today. Also just finished puttin a black interior in it new seats carpet etc.

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

Hey mate, where abouts in Tassie are you? I know Stefan has some 1G-RA65 mounts, if you get desperate we could get Ian Weatherhead (Mechanical Engineer) to copy the mounts for you.

Couldn't tell you if you would need to use the RA65 crossmember in the SA63 or not. But someone else should be able to tell you that. And i've never heard about having to lower the engine for the ic pipes to clear...

Forgot to mention, yes R32 brakes do bolt on with Cruzida's brake adapter kit. Give him a PM if he still has any available.
    Last edited by Negative Boost; 16-02-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

the r32 brakes will bolt on, but the wheels wont. Definately look for wheels before looking for the brakes.

Im in burnie (north west). If someone has measurements and angles i can get them made. uncle is a boilermaker welder. I guessed there would need to be different wheels but is the brake upgrade necessary to get it registered? Has anybody else on these forums done this conversion? If so your two cents worth would be appreciated. Oh yeah im startin uni next year... mechanical engineering. should be handy hey

Estranged Member Chief Engine Builder mullett's Avatar

We're in the middle of sorting out mounts for our GA63 project, so far it looks like we'll use the standard crossmember, the mounts that came with the engine, and big-ass adaptor plate. Might see how it all lines up tomorrow if we can get up to the shed. Looking at the two cars side-by-side, I think you'd be better off with the RA60 X member (I assume 65 is the same?).

Stephan put me in contact with a guy who was making up a 1G install kit, including new X member and mounts AFAIK, which would mount the motor far enough back that the swaybar wouldn't be a problem, but would require bashing the firewall and a slightly shorter tailshaft. I can't for the life of me remember who was doing it though, but he had an GA6* drift car...

RM.

Kamber King Conversion King Negative Boost's Avatar

I think his name was Tim Otta...something. And yeh the RA60/65 xmember should be the same becuase the blocks are the same. The only thing that changed between the 2 series )engine wise) was EFI and an extra 200cc.

I've put R33 brakes on my MA61 (as have a few MA61 lads) and boy do they make a difference! I love them soo much and i dont have warped brakes anymore! I warped 2 stock sets in less than 6000km's.
    I dont think its a requirement to upgrade the brakes if you just tell Service Tas that you have a new engine number. But if you want to engineer it, the engineer would much rather a brake upgrade to go along with the new found power and speed.

Quote Originally Posted by essaysixtythree
    Im in burnie (north west).
    Eh, not another one form up North! I'm down south along with Stefan

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

Hi.

Oh dear. The Enkei rims will make that Mr2 hard to beat.

Well, you *could* buy the GA63 that is getting around, used to be Mookies. I heard it might be for sale. Umm Negative_Boost may know his username or contact details. That would be the easiest way.

Brakes - the kit can be bought. I don't believe they are necessary for engineering, as i know of 1G-powered A6s in several states that still run stock brakes... however personally I wouldn't. You can swap in disc-brake rear swingarms... but your diff will still be letting you down.

1G mount kit can be bought, if you are sure this is a path you want to take. This sits the engine further back than it would otherwise - with stock turbos it will require a fair bit of firewall massaging

Insurance - how old are you? Worth looking into first, because it may affect the viability of your project. Better to have a slower car that you can afford to pay the insurance on...

Im only eighteen. im in the process of gettin bike license and bike so that the car can be off the road for a while. Have been trying to con my dad into insuring the car in his name. Its registered to both of us...
    So u dont have to get it engineered? Just talkin to service tas sounds like the way to go.
    As for massaging the firewall and gettin new crossmembers im not that keen. The huge adaptor plate on the existing mounts suits me better. Will be movin to hobart for uni next year.

Edit. Dont mind modifying the sump to clear swaybar crossmember etc sounds easy enough just a cut and weld job.

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

If you want it to be above board and insurable, of course you need it engineered. I was just saying that you may be able to get the car engineered with a 1G and stock brakes, but I don't recommend it.

Insurance in your dad's name - your name will still need to be on the policy to be covered, you're 18...

Ok fair enough so there is no point really cos im not gonna be able to drive it. Well I guess i will just buy the bike and stick the car in the shed and make it a long term project.
    One more question, my car has some strange sort of alarm and i want to disable it. If u disconnect then reconnect the battery or if u pop the lights with the car not runnin and then turn it back to park lights the lights stay up and the alarm thing goes off after a while. It honks the horn and turns the hazard lights on. The only way to make it stop is to start the car. Its kinda tempramental. It just started goin off t the servo one day. A red light next to the dimmer switch for the guages would come on before the 'alarm' went off, ripped that out when I changed the interior but it hasn't stopped it. Its strange.

does anybody know why this happens? I know hazard lights and horn share a fuse, so im guessin they must be on the same circuit. But i don't see how the headlights or reconnecting the battery could affect this.