Thread: make my 1g louder!!!??

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default make my 1g louder!!!??

hi guys,
    ive got a 1ggte in my hilux and i made the exhaust myself by just running some pipe off the dump pipe and through a pretty much straight though exhaust.. with no tail pipe or anything as i was on a budget.. but now im getting it engineered i got the exhuast done properly today out of 2 1/2 inch and it sounds crap! i can barely hear it! but before it had a very nice cackle!!
    so wat do i do? take the muffler out and jus run pipe?
    cheers
    rollsy

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: make my 1g louder!!!??

don't like your (or don't have any) neighbours eh?
    you could get a better muffler perhaps?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Rest in Peace Conversion King ViPeR_NiPPleX's Avatar

just swap a muffler in that doesn't muffle so much

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

get a highflow muffler (not a ghey cannon, just a highflow muffler)
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

you shoulda went bigger pipes

get a drill and put some holes in the last muffler
    beer me!

User Conversion King

im not running any mufflers on my 1g. 2.5" press bend home-made exhaust

i had a cat converter in there for a while but recently gutted it after being informed it was not neccesary on a vehicle of that age.

i have to say it sounds really nice. turbos whistle VERY loudly.

maybe a tad too loud at 6000rpm, full boost

off boost its just a deep, smooth sound.
    hello

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

Well, if you liked the sound of it with no muffler, why ask what muffler to fit?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    im not running any mufflers on my 1g. 2.5" press bend home-made exhaust

i had a cat converter in there for a while but recently gutted it after being informed it was not neccesary on a vehicle of that age.

i have to say it sounds really nice. turbos whistle VERY loudly.

maybe a tad too loud at 6000rpm, full boost

off boost its just a deep, smooth sound.
    That's interesting. I went to see my exhaust guy yesterday (1GGZE into RN85 Hilux) to enquire about getting an exhaust made up.

He suggested a 2 1/4 inch pipe to keep the torque. When I asked about the need for a cat he said it was required because it is based on the engine not the car it is in. He was going to couple this with a nice sporty note muffler. I did get a Lukey sports muffler from P'n'P but he said it was better to use a new one.

So there you go ...

Cheers,
    Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

User Conversion King

since when are exhaust fitters experts on engine performance??!??!

the turbos on the engine provide copius amounts of back pressure.

equivelent to 1.5" exhaust on a 4AGE.

by gutting my cat the turbos spooled much early and came on boost quicker.

i just realised you have a GZE though so it may indeed be a little loud without a muffler. the exhaust on a supercharged engine can do weird things to boost levels and performance.

maybe just get a highflow muffler on a 2.5" exhaust
    hello

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Wedged'86's Avatar

get a fully sick cannon bro, waaaaahahahah.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brett_celicacoupe
    since when are exhaust fitters experts on engine performance??!??! ... By gutting my cat the turbos spooled much early and came on boost quicker.
    I don't think it's anything to do with performance (although I have to point out that this guy has a very good reputation in performance circles) rather pollution control requirements. I know if you have a commercial vehicle over a certain age you don't need a cat but I have heard from separate sources that the need for a cat is dependant on the type of engine you have.

Basically, a cat's purpose is to remove harmful chemicals by means of a catalysing reaction with platinum mesh inside the converter.

Under the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2002, Part 3 Motor vehicles and motor vehicle fuels, it says:

Division 3 Prescribed anti-pollution devices

10 Prescribed anti-pollution devices: section 154

For the purposes of the definition of prescribed anti-pollution device in section 154 (1) of the Act, each of the following devices is prescribed as a device that is designed or intended to minimise air pollution caused by motor vehicles:
    (a) an evaporative emission control system, that is, a system of devices and equipment that is designed to trap the evaporative emissions from a motor vehicle’s fuel tank and fuel supply system and so restrict their release to the atmosphere,
    (b) a fuel supply system, that is, a system of devices and equipment that is designed:
    (i) to convey fuel to a direct injection engine, or
    (ii) to convey fuel to an engine’s air intake system, to mix the fuel with air and to convey the mixture of fuel and air into the engine,
    (c) an engine ignition system, that is, a system of devices and equipment that is designed to ignite the fuel, or the mixture of fuel and air, in a motor vehicle’s engine,
    (d) an engine management system, that is, a system of devices and equipment that is designed to control the operation of a motor vehicle’s fuel supply system and engine ignition system,
    (e) a smoke-limiting throttle control system, that is, a system of devices and equipment that is designed to limit the maximum rate at which fuel can go into a diesel-engined motor vehicle and so reduce the amount of smoke emitted by the motor vehicle while it is being accelerated,
    (f) an exhaust gas recirculation system, that is, a system of devices and equipment that is designed to convey exhaust gases from a spark ignition engine to the engine’s air intake system for the purpose of reducing the amount of oxygen in the mixture of air and fuel going into the engine and so reducing the amount of oxides of nitrogen emitted by the engine,
    (g) a catalytic converter system, that is, a system of devices and equipment that is designed to induce a catalytic reaction between the various exhaust gases that are emitted from a motor vehicle’s engine and so reduce the emission of air impurities by the motor vehicle,
    (h) a complying exhaust pipe, that is, an exhaust pipe that complies with the requirements of clause 11.

Division 4 Use and maintenance of motor vehicles

15 Use of motor vehicle without prescribed anti-pollution device prohibited

(1) An owner of a motor vehicle who uses the motor vehicle, or causes or allows it to be used, is guilty of an offence if:
    (a) this Regulation requires motor vehicles of the class to which it belongs to be fitted with a prescribed anti-pollution device, and
    (b) the vehicle is not fitted in the prescribed manner with such a device.

17 Removal or adjustment of anti-pollution devices

(1) The owner of a motor vehicle who uses the motor vehicle, or causes or allows it to be used, is guilty of an offence if:
    (a) an anti-pollution device had been fitted to the motor vehicle, and
    (b) at the time of that use the device had been:
    (i) removed, disconnected or impaired, or
    (ii) adjusted or modified and the adjustment or modification results in the emission of excessive air impurities by the motor vehicle.

Full text of the Act can be found on the EPA site here:

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/vi...2002+first+0+N

Cheers,

Peter
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infotechplus

(1) The owner of a motor vehicle who uses the motor vehicle, or causes or allows it to be used, is guilty of an offence if:
    (a) an anti-pollution device had been fitted to the motor vehicle, and
    (b) at the time of that use the device had been:
    (i) removed, disconnected or impaired, or
    (ii) adjusted or modified and the adjustment or modification results in the emission of excessive air impurities by the motor vehicle.

Full text of the Act can be found on the EPA site here:

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/vi...2002+first+0+N

Cheers,

Peter
    i dont like it [/little britain dude in wheelchair voice]
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'