Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full Engine Gasket Sets

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Full Engine Gasket Sets

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty
    Could have been heaps of things - poorly maintained cooling system, corroded head, overheating, detonation, poor assembly, etc etc etc etc etc

I'm sorry but you can't just flatly blame the gasket kit.
    Well it would have to come down to assembly if anything. Because the engine was fully rebuilt. I first thought it was the head bolts not torqued to the right specification, as the workshop that had done the job, were dodgy fukers. But this was not the case.
    In my opinion from what i have seen and heard, i would never go anything but Genuine from here on in. For a few extra dollars why not?

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by TooF
    ive done two one about 3 months ago, one about 18 months ago and i pulled down an engine about 6 months ago that had one in it and all 3 had the hole in the wrong spot.. some love with a file to open it up a little and she is sweet.. infact im sure it works just fine like it is as the engine i pulled down had it in the wrong spot (only half opens up over a water gallery) and worked fine. but compared to thte toyota one it is about 2-3mm out of place.

Fair enough. I did mine about 3 weeks ago and I double and triple checked that everything matched up (first time using ACL) and it all matched up perfectly. Mines a JDM RWD if that makes any difference??

One of lifes little mysteries eh

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

its quite possible a manufacturing fault or they have revised the gasket. it just seems odd to have had 3 with the same issue. and spaced over a fair time span.

ill grab a photo of the difference to a toyota gasket.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Toyota Genuine HG for the 4A-GE are a fucken gooooood gasket. Known to withstand megaboost.
    ...... butt scratcher?!

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I just imported a full gasket set for a 4age from the staes, $100AUS landed and beautiful quality, everything lines up and the quality looks good, car running perfectly with no issues on a naturally aspirated large port. I have heard the genuine is the best but I was just keeping this engine running on my son's car so did not want to spend big bucks, worth a thought,would I use the set on a big dollar rebuild, not sure we will see if I have any problems in the future, mizumo was the brand, den.
    to be old and wise first you must be young and stupid

......... Carport Converter jeffro ra28's Avatar

ACL are shit house... there bearings are shit house and their gaskets, yes including their H series.

Genuine stuff is awesome. Genuine oil coolant and products full stop is all basically the best shit you can buy. Unless you need an upgraded head gasket for large boost.

DIY Bloodline Domestic Engineer Talasas's Avatar

Cheers guys, ~$200 sounds very good for a Genuine set. Mr Revhead didn't reply to my PM but someone else did...unless it was him under another username....<shrug>

The engineer's shop where the block is at now said he should be able to get Permaseal for a pretty good price. So I'm just waiting on him to call...which prolly won't be soon knowing him.
    "In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move." -HHGG

Toymods Club Member Too Much Toyota TooF's Avatar

just get genuine.. no point messing around with aftermarket when genuine is cheap.