Thread: MX83 1JZ JZX90 SWAP (Thanks for genuine awnsers)

Forum Member

Default MX83 1JZ JZX90 SWAP (Thanks for genuine awnsers)

Hey all, just after a yes/no/your not on the right track.

Bought my 1991 grande for $300 everything working great. 74117_10151291193639006_98935460_n.jpg317970_10151291191549006_2129870217_n.jpg

LSD even managed a few lil skids....

Next is comes the swap, ive been doing alot of research on the swap with a JZX90 seeing though its the more readily available half cut that i can purchase in AUS.

Just wanted to know if im on the right track with this below....

"motor is the front sump version (duhh) if the engine i get comes with JZX90 engine mounts i can put them on backwards, take the existing trans mount off the auto and bolt it to the r154? the tunnel needs bashing out (bang bang bang ) line up the engine and hopefully the rubber mounts arn't fucked after the extract of the 7m (n). SERIES 2 crossmember is feb 1990 onwards mx83 should work still? then wire it up (this will be the challenging part). get a single piece tail shaft made, I can re-use the stock rad? (worth buying a new one?)"

things i havn't got a real solid understanding on is pedal line up, p/s line and maybe accelerator cable?

if anyone has any tips/answers that would be awesome.

hoping this isnt too much of a repost, but for now im about as much info as i can handle after a monday at work.......

Cheers all

Junior Member Grease Monkey stealth's Avatar

Default Re: MX83 1JZ JZX90 SWAP (Thanks for genuine awnsers)

Buy a half cut. it will make your life 1 million times easier...

Wiring isn't as bad as you may think. Take the engine out of the half cut with the engine harness still on. i.e. disconnect it from the ecu behind the dash and pull it out through the engine bay. If you get a series 2 jzx90 two of the four ECU plugs will be part of the BODY harness so they will need cutting, but its best to remove the entire body harness to make sure you know what you're doing. There's a couple of wires that go out from the ecu on the body side, then straight back in on the engine side only about 6" away from the ecu. Best to not cut these.

Once you have all the ecu wiring free of the body harness, there's only about 5 wires to power the ECU. Batt, main rel switch, ign power, main rel power x2. Fuel pump control and warning light is on these too.

Other than that there's a grey plug down from the ECU with two fat pins and a few smalls. This is yo important plug, has igniter and injector power, idle control power, tacho, starter exciter...

Another 20pin white plug is further down. This has alot of secondary stuff that's not needed.

The rest is for TRC, ABS, auto stuff and diagnostics which the ECU can run without.

Fuel is a little tricky because the jzx90 has a fuel pump ECU mounted in the boot. The outgoing signal from the ECU for the FP relies on a feedback from this FP ECU, otherwise the ECU cuts it, thinking the engine has stalled. The signal is also PWM, not just a 0-5v or something.

Acc cable will be fine. Use the one from the 90, it will fit on the cressy pedal and be correct length.
    Power steering pump is on the other side of the motor, but again, the p/s hose from the half cut will fit. Even if the p/s rack on the cressy has a flare nut fitting, the Banjo bolt from the 90's hose will fit and seal.

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...JZZ30%20Soarer
    Following JZZ30 diagram will set you on the right track, theres only a few pin configurations that are different with the body plugs. Use the colours of the wires to help too (black = ground, red = power etc.)
    JZA63 Celica 13.9 @ 162km/h

Forum Member

thanks appreciate your help mate yeh im using a jzx90 half cut, and ive read that the engine mounts will work if flipped upside down. otherwise new ones off ebay or excessive manufacturing... so your saying everything other then wiring will just about line up/ minor re works? cheers for the info man, is it a project you have completed or?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Wiring is easy
    Takes me about 8 or so hours to neatly wire everything up
    Including everything for the auto and the dash and the alternator and thermo fans
    And fuel pump controller tacho booster and air con shit

Does Cressida have abs.
    Does front cut have abs
    Tis will be the hardest thing to get right

Junior Member Grease Monkey stealth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foraus View Post
    thanks appreciate your help mate yeh im using a jzx90 half cut, and ive read that the engine mounts will work if flipped upside down. otherwise new ones off ebay or excessive manufacturing... so your saying everything other then wiring will just about line up/ minor re works? cheers for the info man, is it a project you have completed or?
    Yeah ive just put a jzx90 1j into an sa63 cerica..

See link below VV
    JZA63 Celica 13.9 @ 162km/h

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dumbass View Post
    Wiring is easy
    This

Once the ECU is plugged in to the connected engine loom there are only a handful of things you need to work out to get the thing running. Mainly power and ignition. Once it starts then bother to fix all the codes, get the tacho working and have the auto connected properly.
    For the fuel pump, just use a LPG safety switch

Forum Member

1. doing a manual swap so "have the auto connected properly" not sure this will work. but otherwise thanks for the info!
    2. "Does Cressida have abs.
    Does front cut have abs
    Tis will be the hardest thing to get right" - yeah the both have ABS so ill deal with that when it comes

3. Another questions, re-reg and then swap or swap then reg? i did speak to an engi and he said the standard swap is fine and doesn't go over 27/37 emission rules anyone of you have experience getting them back on the road?

Thanks heaps guys...

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

Forget about ABS;
    R154's from JZA70/MA70's, assuming the car even had ABS to begin with, use a different setup trigger wise.

Just pull the globe and be done with it, its pretty shit anyway so its no major loss.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Is easy on an early chaser to get abs working as they are based on Cressidas anyway
    Later ones its not worth it
    Plus Cressidas have a crude three wheel sensor abs system

I got 50 specially modified LPG safety switches
    To suit early toyotas
    Last edited by dumbass; 03-02-2013 at 04:05 PM.