Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux

Sleeper Central Backyard Mechanic Pure_In_Sanity's Avatar

Default Re: How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux

Robbo, could you post up a pic of your caliper brackets? I suspect you are mounting the calipers slightly different to this setup. As GT said, this is pretty straight forward.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Hiace Axle Retaining Studs

To attach everything to the Hilux rear end you need Hiace Axle Retaining Studs. I went out to Pick 'n' Payless after work yesterday and unbelievably there was only one Hiace van in the yard - it was an '86 model. Luckily, it had the rear end brakes intact so I set to work to liberate its studs. Thanks to "pure-in-sanity" who set me straight on what to look for.

I removed the drum cover, and used a 14mm socket to remove the four nuts from the rear of the Hiace brake assembly. It's easier if you take a 12mm socket and remove the two bolts holding the cable assembly on at the back to get at the last nut. Then remove all the shoes from inside by releasing various springs, take the cable end out of its socket, and using a combination of screwdriver and bullnose pliers remove the spring-loaded "octopus" clip, and pull out the handbrake cable. Remove the brake fluid line with an 8mm open-end spanner (or just cut it off if you are in a hurry) - you may need to do this to get at the other nut or just push it out of the way.

You should now be able to remove the axle from the diff (it takes a bit of a jiggle) with the brake assembly attached. I put the axle perpendicular to the ground (brake end at the bottom) and released the four axle studs with a sharp whack of a heavy hammer. They are an interference fit so should pop straight out. Make sure you keep the 8 nuts. Take care not to damage the threads.

The Hiace axle retaining studs are 41mm long, from their end to the inside of the head.

Do both sides and you should now have your 8 Hiace Axle Retaining Studs and nuts.

Toyota Corolla KE70 Handbrake Cables

As both "pure-in-sanity" and "gianttomato" have indicated you can use a couple of different handbrake cable setups if the Hilux ones you have don't fit. I went for the Corolla KE70 ones and there were at least 6 in the Pick 'n' Payless yard.

I found a 1984 KE70 where someone had already done most of the work in removing the rear brake assembly.

All I did was get underneath, remove the two 10mm bolts in the tunnel, detach the cables from the handbrake lever, remove the other two 10mm bolts near the rear wheel well, pop the cables out of the brake (as above with the Hiace), and that's it.

These are the two mounting points, one in the tunnel and one near the rear wheel well. The one in the tunnel has a metal cylindrical clamp on it that you have to pop out of.

I paid $30 for these cables, which I thought was reasonable.

Today I plan on removing the Hilux cables to check the KE70 ones for fit so I'll be able to confirm this later this evening.

Thanks also to "pure-in-sanity" for sending me photos of a similar conversion, which (with permission) I might clean up in Photochop and post here as an additional resource.

Cheers,
    Last edited by infotechplus; 24-09-2017 at 10:54 PM.
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Quote Originally Posted by infotechplus
    Today I plan on removing the Hilux cables to check the KE70 ones for fit so I'll be able to confirm this later this evening.
    About 2 ft too short for my Hilux

Back to the drawing board. I'll have to check the Hiace ones.

Peter

Hey dont thank me too much!
    Gianttomato is the one to direct the rep to. He was the pioneer of the setup, he got the brackets made, and he found the hiace studs to be suitable.
    The pics i sent you were from Allan, not sure if he's still around on here?

Cheers
    -Phil

Phil, can you tell from the photo whether or not the Hiace Rear Axle Studs are long enough?

Here's a comparison of the handbrake cables from my Hilux to the KE70 corolla units. Difference of 60cm.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 24-09-2017 at 10:55 PM.

Allan's Photos

These are the photos "pure_in_sanity" referred to; they are from Allan. So, Allan if you are still on here it would be great if you could contribute to this thread for all of us doing this conversion. Also give +rep to GT for his work with the brackets.

The quality of the photos is a bit grainy but I've fiddled with them in Photochop as best as I could ...

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 25-09-2017 at 06:02 AM.

I went out to Pick 'n' Payless again this afternoon. (I now have Life Membership )

I checked out the Hiace vans - there were two there now. Both had very different handbrake cable systems on them that would not be adaptable to the 'Lux including one system that was a complete loop from side to side.

I also checked out more KE70s in case i picked a wrong year but they (and the KE70E) were all the same. Had a look at Coronas, Camrys, Cressidas, Crowns and more Corollas. Even checked out the Supra that I originally got the brakes from. All NO GO.

I then went back to the ute section and had a look at other manufacturers but no luck.

Then I went to the Liteace section, and guess what, found that the passenger side handbrake cable on a 1990 model was very close with a quick stretch of the tape measure. So I pulled it and it is slightly longer than the 'Lux but it had all the right fittings. The driver's side cable is very short due to how the Liteace is set up. The driver's side is a ba$7ard to get as you have to remove the fuel tank to get to the last retaining clamp. The passenger side is easy.

So I thought to myself "That's good, I'll just grab another passenger side cable."

Early model Liteace's are no good. They use a different system. Later model, from about 1988/89 should be okay. As I said I got mine from a 1990 but all the other 90 models had had their handbrake cables chopped when someone was removing the brakes and/or axles.

Looking under the Hilux I see that there is some adjustment in the cables so hopefully this will be enough to make the Liteace cable work. At any rate, the system on the 'Lux is so simple that it can be modified by shortening the rod that holds the adjustment bracket tight.

The good thing is that P'n'P let me take the Liteace cable without charge.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 25-09-2017 at 06:06 AM.

Yep they look great Carport Converter gianttomato's Avatar

Oops re KE70.

They definately work but obviously for a shorter car. I probably should have mentioned that they are a different length and you have to check them to make sure they work in your app. I used the Corona MkII handbrake cable in my Corona MkII - it was perfect. For my Crown I had to use two different halves and welded some brackets to the chassis.

As for using the LiteAce ones, 2cm is a bit of extra length but you should have enough adjustment at the handbrake end.

Hiace studs are right - check with your Hilux ones and you'll see how much longer they are.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Pube's Avatar

Is there any reason the hiace retaining studs are longer? Is there another plate in there for the studs to go through or something? Also, do ALL hiace diffs have longer retaining studs?
    SOLD : 1GGTE Rt142 Corona - Twin TD04-9b turbos - 180rwkw = 13.1 @105mph

Quote Originally Posted by Pube
    Is there any reason the hiace retaining studs are longer? Is there another plate in there for the studs to go through or something? Also, do ALL hiace diffs have longer retaining studs?
    It was a serendipitous discovery - they were longer and that was all that mattered. As for whether all Hiaces right back to the RH20 have longer studs, no idea. I suggest that you take a Hilux one along, pull one out of a Hiace (there's usually eighteen million of the things at my local wrecker) and compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Pube
    Not sure on all Hiaces but I did look at the Liteace studs and they were shorter on the set I punched out. I think I measured them at about 35mm. I'll have a quick look next time I'm out at the wreckers but there were only two Hiaces there, an 85 and a 90 year model.

Peter

Also FWIW Mitsubushi Express van studs will work if theres no Hiaces in sight. However the splines on the base of the stud are a little chunky and require a some opening up of the holes in the bearing carrier.

You can actually buy them new - someone posted the url for an online catalogue which actually had them in all sorts of lengths.

But free studs from pick a part FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by gianttomato
    But free studs from pick a part FTW.
    Absolutely!

Peter

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

I went into my local u-pull-it today, after a few bits and pieces that might be harder to come by later on when i actually need them.

I grabbed my 8 Hiace axle studs while i was there, and just got home ready to clean them up, and thought id give them a measurement while i was at it to make sure i had the right ones.

Turns out 4 of them are 41mm, the other 4 are about 35mm. (i dont have anything fancy to measure with other then a tape measure.)

Now, they seem to have 2 of each length on each side, which might cause issues. Looking at your pictures on the previous page Peter, you seem to have 2 different lengths there as well.

Let me know how you go, and if this is going to cause a problem.

Thanks

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08