Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux

7M-BHGE Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: How to: Supra MA70 rear discs to Hilux

This is such an awesome thread.

Herus (and everyone else interested), i went to my local auto shop inquiring about lots of brake parts (im choosing an all round brake setup and i want to know what the pads cost ect) and i was shown on there computer that the part number for MA70 rear discs was the same as these tarago's (also other names, but basically tarago's with more sun roof). There was a chassis code, but i dont think it was as simple as normal toyota codes, and the part number was very long and i dont remember it, but if you ring toyota (maybe on two occasions, might be a little shy on the matter) and ask for the part numbers they should be the same.

I actually think MA70's are more common than these Tarago's, but thought it was worth mentioning.

-Ok, just had a brain wave while typing the crap above, looked up DBA's cataluge:

Supra - "MA70" - 1986 to 05/1993
    Rear Disc Vented
    291mm Diameter
    68.5mm Overall hight
    18mm Disc thickness
    60mm Center hole
    5 Stud (we know toyota uses 5x114.3)
    P/N: 716

TARAGO / ESTIMA / PREVIA / SIENNA - "TCR 1, TCR 2" - 05/1990 to 02/2000
    Rear Disc Vented
    291mm Diameter
    68.5mm Overall hight
    18mm Disc thickness
    60mm Center hole
    5 Stud (5x114.3)
    P/N: 716

As I said, weird chassis number, "TCR 1, TCR 2", cant image it actually being what is stamped on the compliance plate.
    Oh, and the front disc's are different, very different.
    Quote Originally Posted by skiddz
    deodorised fish oil = winnnaaaaaa, goodness of teh fishz but with out the smellz

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

Thanks Sleeka!

Thats good, hopefully ill be able to find either one or the other now..

Just got back from Upullit over here, and no 90s model taragos there either.. All are the older ones unfortunatly.

Did get a few clips and screws and the washer hosing though. for free as well!! woo...

Thanks

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08

Sleeper Central Backyard Mechanic Pure_In_Sanity's Avatar

Pete, as for the booster,
    The pushrod connected to the top of the brake pedal should be adjustable.
    If it isnt, or there is not enough adjustment you might be able to find / make something suitably longer.
    This would bring the pedal height back up.

Also the switch is adjustable to a small degree.

Cheers
    -Phil

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pure_In_Sanity
    Pete, as for the booster,
    The pushrod connected to the top of the brake pedal should be adjustable.
    If it isnt, or there is not enough adjustment you might be able to find / make something suitably longer.
    This would bring the pedal height back up.

Also the switch is adjustable to a small degree.

Cheers
    -Phil
    Phil,

The pushrod is adjusted out as far as I dare go already, and, yes, the stoplight switch can be brought down closer by undoing the lock nut. But I will have two problems:

1. The brake pedal will be visibly lower than the other two which would not be acceptable to an engineer.

2. The booster will not be firmly attached to the firewall with only two studs firm and one a couple of turns on the thread. The fourth barely sticks its head through.

So, I'll have to remove the aluminium spacer to alleviate both those issues. It's just a pain grinding away the firewall opening sufficiently.

I did think of cutting off the studs and welding on longer ones but I'm a bit wary of that if there is another more elegant solution.

Thanks for your advice though.

I finished the exhaust system today. What a laborious job that was. Two full on days - measuring, fitting, cutting, angling, recutting, refitting, and tacking. but, hey, it's done - just need to do a full weld, paint and fit.

I'm pretty happy with it for my first effort. All 2 1/4 in, no press bends, mandrel bends only, all recycled parts, cost less than $200 including Lukey muffler, VL cat and 3 in chromed tip. Even reused the 22R hangers and rubbers.

Photos to follow. [Photos in my 1GGZE thread]

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 06-04-2007 at 06:28 PM.
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

anti blasphemy ! Carport Converter

hehe those spring clips to hold the shoes onto the backing plates are fun to get on arnt they
    i dont have a funny or cool signature.

Just connecting up the MA70 master cylinder and union, and I have a question regarding front and rear outlets.

Can someone with this setup tell me which outlet is the front axle and which is the rear?

Is the outlet in this photo the front or rear (meaning the one on the back of the union will be the other)? I have a brake line leading to a two way union that (I think) comes from this outlet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter

That dude with the AE95's Backyard Mechanic Kebin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infotechplus
    Update

This afternoon I took my MA70 brakes to my good friends at Western Brake & Steering
    Yeh top bloke mick is! highly recomended!
    They were the only place that could find my parts without stuffing me around and at a reasonable cost too pssshhhhh repco.... what a joke.

Today I decided to tackle the brake lines for the MA70 brake booster and master cylinder. Knowing that the Hilux setup was a bit 'off-beat' I set about adapting the existing brake lines to suit.

According to information from a couple of Toymodders esp. [Robbos_Toyota] the Hilux feeds the rear from one outlet, and the other rear and both driver and passenger side fronts separately. What we want to have is the rears and the fronts operating on their own circuits.

I had already installed the booster and master cylinder, with the four way MA70 union attached to the bottom of the booster.

My research showed that the part of the master cylinder that has the arrow (in and out) is fed from the rear of the master cylinder, and this is the rear axle. The front brake line from the master cylinder will need to go to another junction to feed the front axle.

So with the feeds from the front and rear of the master cylinder installed into the four way MA70 union it remained to feed two three way unions, one each for front and back.

The first thing I did was to adapt the MA70 three way union to mount on the Hilux chassis rail where the original feeds were. This basically involved grinding off the edge so that it would sit flat on the chassis rail and bolt down where the others had been been.

In the above photo you can see the result, with the feed coming down from the four way union, and then feeding out to the rear axle. To coerce the rear brake lines in I had to remove the brake line bracket that held them down, and then bend them to the required shape. It's not too difficult if you bolt down the three way union first. The shorter of the two Hilux rear brake lines goes in the closest opening, the longer one is a bit fiddly but goes into the offside opening.

A word of warning: don't bend these lines too acutely or too many times as they will snap.

This photo shows the MA70 four way union with all lines installed:

I didn't use any other lines than the ones that came with the master cylinder and the existing Hilux ones. It's just a matter of juggling what you have and trial and error. But, for example, I used the short 90 deg line that is down on the driver's side front brake to feed the front union from the MA70 four way.

You can see it in this photo; it is the short line with the black shielding on it:

It is feeding a three way union that I got from the rear of the Mark III Supra at Pick'n'Payless. I still have to make a bracket to hold this union to the brake booster.

Here's a couple of other views that might make the setup a little clearer:

This is the finished setup:

The front axle is fed from the MA70 rear three way union.

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 25-09-2017 at 06:33 PM.

Plumber Automotive Encyclopaedia Robbos_Toyotas's Avatar

glad to see you got it sorted mate
    THE OFFICIAL TOYMODS BOGAN
    MA61 - sunroof., 7MGTE, 4.11 lsd, w58
    MA61 - Built 2JZ, 9" diff, big brakes -1st car + the toy
    LN167 - dual cab fourbie, gu patrol chassis + suspension/ driveline, built 1.5jz

Gave this setup a bit of a run last weekend and I'm happy to report that they are exceptional on the Lux. She stops from speed in a straight line, very effectively. I noticed a good balance between front and back, and no pulling to either side.

A great upgrade at a very reasonable price, just requires a bit of effort on your part but that's half the satisfaction isn't it, doing it yourself (with the help of the Toymods community of course

Next on the agenda is the R32 front upgrade.

Stay tuned.

Cheers,

Peter

is a semi-motivated Domestic Engineer 1JZ~lux's Avatar

I'll be doing the R32 brake upgade either this weekend or the weekend after. Check out the Hilux front brakes thread for updates.

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16302
    Petrol is for washing parts, alcohol's for drinking but NITRO IS FOR RACING!
    My pictures, Returning some time in the distant future.
    RN85 Hilux + 1JZ-GTE = 298.0HP @ 14PSI -- 60' 1.956 ET 13.775 MPH 99.49
    Project Korruption - Stage 1: The Resto. KE35 Corolla Hardtop daily driver

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Who makes the caliper bracket for the MA70 rotors/calipers/backing plate to Hilux conversion?

John

Quote Originally Posted by jr9162
    Who makes the caliper bracket for the MA70 rotors/calipers/backing plate to Hilux conversion?

John
    They are made by Giant Tomato

[Read the intial post in this thread dude]

Cheers,

Peter

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Peter,
    I've read it from cover to cover and PM'd him - with no response. I've also read his article on the mod. Was wondering if someone else was making them now? I also found his thread (today) where he was offering them for sale and added my name to it. Hopefully he'll have some to ship soon.

John

Breaker OfThe Unbreakable Backyard Mechanic Herus's Avatar

GT is an extremely busy man, once he gets back to us, he will be able to get them made im sure.

Andrew
    Member's ride thread!

Joined Team BHG, 19/7/2008

Joined Team JZX83, 15/11/08